Status: This is book 1 in the Destined Mates series and I hope you enjoy. As always, I appreciate any feedback you want to give.

Fated

Chapter 2

Cherish looked up at her family’s large two story home. Mansion is what usually came to mind when most people saw it. Most likely because that was what it is considered. A twisting black wrought iron fence enclosed the property. A gravel driveway twisted towards the house and wrapped around a large stone fountain right in front. The yard and hedges were all neatly trimmed, not a blade out of place. Her parent’s vehicles sat in the driveway, while a sleek black sports car sat near the entrance of the house. Most likely another business meeting, one Cherish hoped would soon be over. She hated having to smile and interact with her father’s business associates. Cherish was looking forward to exploring more of the old journals she found tucked away in the attic of the local library that spoke of the time around the construction of the Borderland Wall.

Opening the door she stepped onto the marble flooring her mother insisted be put in last year. Laughter floated in from the study to her right, killing the hope of sneaking up to her room was short lived. Her younger sister came walking towards her, a large smile spreading across her face. She motioned for Cherish to follow her into their mother’s sitting room.

Sighing Cherish followed, shutting the sliding doors behind her. “What has you grinning, Megan?”

Megan turned towards her sister, the grin on her face widening. “William is here. For you,” she squealed.

Cherish cocked a brow, “William?”

“Oh Cherish, seriously? The William! William Cruise, you know the governor’s son.” Megan bounced up and down, barely containing her excitement.

Cherish’s eyes widened. “What could he possibly want from me?”

“Apparently,” Megan leaned in, “after your run in two weeks ago, when he hit the puddle that completely soaked you, he hasn’t stopped thinking about you.”

“You’re kidding right? I threw a few choice words at him, and told him where to go and how to get there.” Cherish laughed nervously.

Megan’s eyes were wide with excitement. “It must not have fazed him one bit. He has come to ask mama and papa for your hand. The best part is that he doesn’t care about your background.” Megan grabbed for her sister’s hands, “you won’t be alone. You’ll be able to have the family that you have always wanted. Papa has accepted.”

Cherish stepped back, pulling away from her sister. The blood drained from her face, her hands becoming clammy. Never in her life had she ever fainted, but she felt like she would at any moment. She began to sway.

Hands gripped her arms and eased her into a seat.

Marriage? She always dreamt of getting married and having family, but had always thought that she would have a say in who the groom would be. Two chocolate brown eyes stared at her. Was that concern etched in them? The owner was speaking but the words weren’t registering. She couldn’t marry him. She didn’t know anything about him except that he was the son of Governor Cruise. Did her parents really accept his marriage proposal without first talking to her? If they did then she was technically now engaged to the man. Most women were already spoken for by the time there were sixteen and married and expecting their first by the time they were her age. She should have been thrilled to be getting any type of marriage proposal with being an eighteen year old castaway.

Taking a deep breath, her heart rate slowed and she took in the happenings around her. The sun shown through the window, it bounced off of the walls and white marble fireplace, causing an almost blinding light around the room. Her sister’s chatter caught her attention, causing her to look that way, and noticing her mother and father staring at her. Turning her head back, she looked into the eyes of William.

“I’m sorry mom. I just couldn’t help myself. Look, she is so excited she’s speechless and almost fainted.” Megan giggled, grabbing a hold of her mother’s arm.

“It is a good thing we came in when we did and that William was able to catch her, Megan. Your sister could have really injured herself,” their mother scolded.

Cherish blinked rapidly, “forgive me. I just, I was taken by surprise.” She smiled shakily at William.

She watched as he reached out and brushed a strand of her honey colored hair from her face, and presented her with a dashing smile.

“I’ll catch you anytime Cherish. Just make sure I am there when it happens.” William’s silky voice helped to her calm her nerves some.

She watched as her family hurried from the room as William pulled a chair in front of her. She let her eyes roam over him. His light brown hair was cut short and slicked back; his blue suit showed he was an average build. She guessed his height to be about five foot eight. At least he was taller than her five foot. Cherish had seen couples matched where the females towered over their spouses. Tall was her preference, but than again the majority of people were taller than her.

William cleared his throat, drawing her attention away from her thoughts. “As you know, the council and my father have passed a new law where they will begin pairing couples. In doing so it will make it harder for the Abandoned Ones to match up with anyone other than the other Forsakens.”

William placed his hand on hers, “I told my father about you and he agreed to write our pairing down in the Engagement Registry.”

Cherish couldn’t believe that he actually had their engagement recorded before it even happened. He would become governor after his father and she couldn’t remember reading about any governor taking an Abandoned as a wife. She shook her head, “but why?”

William raked his eyes over her sitting form, allowing them to linger on her breast before returning them to her eyes. “You’re brilliant, and that is a trait I want passed along to our children. You’re also very beautiful, as if you were specifically made for me.” He sighed, “It has also been realized that many young single women have started to disappear. So you could say that this is also my way of protecting you. Let me keep you safe Cherish.”

Cherish took a deep breath, “I’m sorry, but I am not agreeing to this William. I don’t know you. Heck, two weeks ago I hated your guts for soaking me and ruing all my research papers.” Glancing down she lowered her voice, “I don’t even know where I came from. I can’t marry someone I know nothing about and have no feelings for. I can’t marry you.”

William leaned in, bringing his face mere inches from hers. The menacing look on his face making her swallow, hard.

“We can spend time together after we are married, this way you can get to know me. It is written in your file that your real mother is in fact the sister of the woman who raised you. Unfortunately because she kept her pregnancy a secret and didn’t have her sister down as the person to care for you before her death, she unknowingly caused you to be labeled Abandoned One. No matter, your feelings on this Cherish, you are as good as mine. By the end of next week I will have you.”

Cherish felt something prick her finger and looked down, then back at William. A slow smile began crossing his face, as he lifted the small device to eye level.

“Just as I thought, pure as freshly fallen snow.” Grabbing her chin, he held tight. “You better stay that way. I won’t have my future wife and mother of my children whoring about.”

Cherish was rendered speechless as she watched William leave the room. There was no way she would agree to marry him, but what could she do? The deal was done. Like he said, she was as good as his and there was nothing she could do to stop it.

Walking to the window she gazed out, the sun was setting causing a warm pink glow to blanket everything. Her head shot up, how was it possible that her real mother was the sister of the mother she had now? As far as she knew, Maggie was the only girl of six children.

Movement caught her attention at the doorway. Her mother, Maggie, stood there with a bright smile plastered on her face. Why would they falsify her adoption paperwork? They weren’t the first wealthy family to take in a child whose parents didn’t want them. It didn’t make sense. Smiling weekly at her mother, Cherish made her way to her bedroom. Her father was the head keeper of the city records; she would confront them bout this tomorrow and they would give her answers.