Status: This is book 1 in the Destined Mates series and I hope you enjoy. As always, I appreciate any feedback you want to give.

Fated

Chapter 3

~Cherish leaned back against the lush green grass, a soft breeze causing loose strands of hair to tickle the exposed skin above her breast. She closed her eyes and tilted her head up, feeling the warm rays of the sun kissing her face. The feel of soft fur brushing against her bare arm caused a ghost of a smile to cross her lips. Raising her hand, she placed it on the large animal’s head that lay beside her. Turning her face she slowly opened her eyes and found herself drowning in the emerald green depths of the ones staring back at her. Licking her lips she felt an electric charge flowing through her.

“Are you still searching for me?” She whispered.

The bright green eyes slowly dimmed until they were completely faded, only to be replaced with a deep chocolate brown. The brightness of the day gave way to darkness, and the sound of thunder adding to the ruin of what was her peaceful place.~

Cherish bolted up, finding herself wrapped in the warmth of her bedding. The sky was dark and rain pounded the windowpane. Rubbing her eyes she looked at her clock and groaned it was one in the morning. Shadows danced across the walls as lightening struck nearby.

She chewed her bottom lip. The dream was almost always the same, and she always woke feeling at peace. She knew the eyes that took over, and if the sight of them could ruin her dream, what would happen when she would be faced with them everyday?

The engagement proposal and the marriage were supposed to be an exciting time in anyone’s life, but only if both parties were equally involved and wanting it. Going through with it just couldn’t happen.

Throwing her feet over the side of the bed she made her way to the window. Why did she feel so trapped all of the sudden? Before allowing herself too much time to think, she made her way downstairs and out the door. If she were to get caught being out past curfew, she would be in so much trouble.

Stepping out and into the air she sucked in a deep breath and allowed the rain to fall on her face before breaking into a run down the gravel driveway. Slipping through the gate she fought the urge to run away. It was silly, where could she go? She was stuck here and engaged to a man that treated her as if she were something to own.

Cherish threw a hand over her mouth to suppress a scream. Standing not five feet in front of her was Rocky, his black hair clinging to his face.

“Hey there, Bit early to be going for a walk, isn’t it?” He whispered. The lights from the lamp post giving his face an eerie look. “Nice jammies.”

Cherish crossed her arms over her chest. In her hurry to break free from feeling trapped, she forgot to put on real clothes. She shrugged, “thanks.”

He tilted his head from side to side as if she were some curious looking creature. “Do you always go walking in the rain in your night clothes?”

“No. I needed some space to think and I couldn’t do it in the house. Plus, who doesn’t like the cleansing feeling the rain brings?” She grinned up at him.

“I’ll agree with you on that. Want some company? I find myself needed to stretch my legs for a bit.”

“Company sounds nice. Plus I’d like to hear more about the Others,” she smiled at him. “That is, if you still want to talk about them.”

Was that a quick spark of triumph that flashed in his eyes, or did she imagine it? She wasn’t sure why but excitement filled her just at the thought of them. Spying a gazebo she motioned for him to follow. What would he tell her about them? Would it be more than what she had learned from the journals? Or would it be the same things she already knew?

Cherish sat and watched as he took a seat next to her and stretched out his long legs in front of him. Even sitting he towered over her, it should have felt a bit overwhelming but it was oddly comforting. “Well? What can you tell me? Who are they? Why do they live on the other side of the wall? Where did they come from?” cherish barely paused to catch her breath.

Rocky sat in silence for a moment just studying her. The excitement bright in her eyes. He hoped he wouldn’t scare her off and wished even more that she would be a good match for his brother. Wiping the water from his face he shrugged, “those are all really good questions, but unless you plan on sitting here for the next hundred years, I can’t give you all of the answers you want.”

Cherish’s mouth dropped. “But you said,” she spoke through gritted teeth.

Rocky held up his hand. “I know what I said. Just please let me finish. I can’t give you the answers you want, but how would you feel about taking a little trip with me to the other side?”

Cherish jumped from her seat. “You know how to get through the wall?”

Rocky chuckled, “who said anything about going through it? We’ll be going under it.”

Cherish sat back down, eyes wide. When she was younger, she used to search for a way over the way. There were many times that she was brought home by the guards patrolling the wall when she got to close. Over the years she started to run out of sections to check.

“So, what section of the city do you live in?”

“Never said I lived in the city now, did I?” He looked at her, water running down his face.

The confusion and uncertainty crossed her face only briefly before it split into a huge grin. “You mean you live out there?” She fought to keep her voice down.

He nodded, all the while assessing her. “Born and raised.”

Disappointment clouded her face. If he lived over there than it was just humans on the other side and not anything exciting like she believed.

“Don’t look so sullen, there are plenty of interesting folk out my way. Of course none as interesting as I am,” Rocky tapped her nose and winked.

Cherish studied him for a moment, “is everyone over there as friendly as you are?”

“Nope, I’m the best one out of the pack. Best looking, best temper, best everything.”

Her face dropped, “now I know you’re messing with me.”

“I speak nothing but the truth Cherish. I promise you that.

She raised her face to the sky, admiring the twinkling of the stars. She wasn’t sure why but from the moment she met him she felt drawn to him. It was as nothing bad would happen to her when he was around.

“You guys don’t try and force marriages on your side of the wall, do you?”

Rocky hesitated for a brief second before shaking his head, “Not at all, why?”

“I have just recently found myself engaged.”

Rocky’s body stiffened and he gripped the bench that sat on. “Do you love him?”

Cherish look over at him and laughed. “No. The engagement wasn’t of my doing.” Sighing, she shrugged, “So what else can you tell me about over there?”

“Well, this city isn’t the only one standing. There are about seven total. All scattered throughout the land. I think the closest city is about a two week drive. Give or take a few days.”

Cherish’s eyes grew round, “You’re kidding! It takes that long to get there?”

“Nope, not kidding. Driving places isn‘t as straightforward as it used to be. So yeah, it takes much longer to get places. The cities are all structured about the same way. Each one with a wall about a hundred feet tall and encasing it’s city. As far as I can tell, each ones citizens know nothing about the other. The governing officials do but that‘s it.” Rocky look at her, his face falling slightly, “it seems Panthera is the only one to feel the need to label their children the way they do.”

Cherish nodded, “I guess I was just lucky to be born here, huh?”

Rocky stared off into the distance, and nodded towards the distance. “Sunrise isn’t as pretty here.”

Cherish’s gasped at the sight, “I’m sorry but I have to go!”

“Wait! Are you coming with me?”

“I don’t know…” Cherish trailed off, barely looking over her shoulder

“I need an answer by noon, I plan on leaving.” Rocky called after her.

“Okay!” She called back.

Cherish ran. The sound of her bare feet slapping against the rain soaked sidewalk echoed in the suddenly quiet night air. The rays from the early morning sun bounced off of the wet surfaces, promising a fresh new start. Sneaking back into the house wouldn’t be as easy as sneaking out. With any luck she would get back into her room before the house came alive.

The house was still completely dark when she reached it. The only sound came from the occasional crickets singing their songs. Cherish smiled to herself as she made her way up the long driveway, Rocky had asked her to come along with him. How safe would it actually be on the other side of the wall? Maybe should could learn more about the people that lived on the other side.

Making it to her room she quickly changed from her wet clothes and let out a sigh of relief. She was much later then she planned. She had become so engrossed with what Rocky was saying that she lost complete track of time. The light tapping on her door let her know it was to be a very long day.
♠ ♠ ♠
If you wouldn't mind, let me know what you think of it so far :)