Don't Make Me Go Back to Sleep

A Short Story

With shaky hands, I took a sip of my fifth coffee.

“Doctor, I don’t know what to do. I’m too afraid to fall back to sleep.”

He scratched his salt and pepper hair.

“Okay, let’s try hypnotizes and see what’s going on here.”

He told me to close my eyes and to listen to his voice. The second I did, heat swept over, almost suffocating me.

“Doctor…”

(Cough cough)

“Can you turn on the AC? It’s way too hot in here.”

Silence.

“Doctor?”

I raised my eyelids and shrieked in pure sorrow when I realized I was not in the same room anymore.

Repulsive demons and enormous mass of fire circled me.

“Welcome back, Frank.”

“We missed you!”

“Are you going to stay for good?”

They laughed viciously as fire moved in my direction. I pitched myself to try to get myself to wake up like I always do but this time it didn’t work.

Wake up wake up wake up.

An unimaginable of pain washed over me when the fire swallowed both my legs.

I closed my eyes tightly screaming. When I opened them again, I was back in the room.

I stood up right away, with tears streaming down my face.

“I..i..it happened again.”

My doctor looked at me with a, ‘what are you talking about?’ look on his face.

“That’s not possible…,” he began to say, “you were awake this whole time. The hypnosis didn’t work, it only lasted for two seconds.”

The doctor looked at his note pad, then looked back at me again.

“But what did you mean when you said, 'next time, you won't come back.'”
♠ ♠ ♠
He was possessed if you guys didn't get it. The demon took his place, and he took the demons place..in hell. What the doctor said at the end was the demon giving a message to Frank.