Surviving the Dead

01

Today was like the past who knows how many days. It wasn't as if anyone was keeping time now. It had been months, possibly a year, since the zombie apocalypse started. Billions of people now roamed the Earth wanting nothing more than human flesh. The air reeked of death almost everywhere you went. It made me often wonder if anyone else was still alive. If they were, there probably was a big difference between us; the fact that I had my two young sons with me.

It wasn't easy as a mother to take care of her two sons during a time of struggling to stay alive. We barely got by on food and water. Most of it went to both boys leaving me malnourished. Not only that, but there was the fact that I got an hour or two of sleep every night. You never knew when a zombie would discover your hiding spot, especially if it heard a cranky two year old.

I let out a sigh, watching my two boys sleep with their backs against the wall. I sat across from them with my back against the door of the abandoned cabin we had found. As always, my pistol was in my hand in case of an emergency. It was also easier to shoot the dead in the head at night than it was to smash their brains with a baseball bat. Only problem was that there were only three bullets left.

Even though I didn't want to admit it, I was counting down the days until we got overran with the living dead once again. It was the reason we had fled the city and out into the surrounding woods. Memories of the horrific night flashed into my mind. Tears filled my eyes as I pictured Ryan yelling at me to run and take the boys. Hunter was crying and yelling for his daddy, while Ryder cried since he didn't know what was going on.

A thud against the door broke me from the thoughts of that night that happened only a few weeks ago. I quickly wiped the tears from my eyes while listening to the groaning on the other side. It had to be killed before it drew attention to more of the walking dead and woke the boys up. I was afraid though. It was pitch black out since there wasn't a moon tonight. Anything could go wrong, and in these situations I could think of every single possibility that could happen. The moaning got louder as it desperately tried to claw its way in.

I finally decided to turn the flashlight on, before grabbing the baseball bat. Wasting a bullet on this fucker wasn't worth it, and neither was the loudness of the gunshot. I sat the flashlight where the light was dimly shining up near the door. I stood up slowly, trying to be as quiet as possible while keeping my weight against the door so it couldn't get it. I kept my left hand against the door as I positioned myself before moving my hand the open the door. The zombie fell forward landing on the floor which surprised me. I quickly put my boot on its back to keep it down as I slung the baseball bat down to its head, hearing the crack I was used to hearing. I did so a few more times just to be safe and was satisfied when I heard silence from it. I quickly dragged it by its legs outside, leaving it right in front of the door in case others came and tripped over it.

Back inside, I tiredly situated myself back in front of the door with the gun back in my hand. I shined the light onto the sleeping boys to see fresh blood now splattered on them. Thankfully, neither woke up, and it was sad to say that I doubted either of them would even notice the fresh blood on them when they woke up. I turned the flashlight off before wiping the drying blood off of my face. I could feel blood seeping into my grey jeans from where the zombie was just laying moments ago. I let out a sigh as my head rested against the hard wood of the door. This was definitely not the life I ordered for me or my boys.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so I like how this is so far, so let me know what you think? I felt like I needed to say what happened to Ryan to some degree. I plan on having a flashback in a future chapter that explains more. Also, I won't refer to them as walkers until she meets with Rick's group which will be in a few chapters. Lastly, I'm not sure where I want Rick's group to be. I want to follow the story line to some degree, but haven't decided during when they were in the prison, or after. I would love to know what you think.