Butterfly Kisses

Chapter I

“Pack your bags,” Agent Aaron Hotchner blatantly stated. “We are needed in Pennsylvania. I'll brief you on the way. Wheels up in 30.”

“Well, at least we aren't flying half way across the country this time,” Agent Derek Morgan whispered to Agent Spencer Reid, who laughed slightly.

Spencer and Morgan climbed into Morgan's truck, quickly driving to their apartments and grabbing their things, only returning 2 minutes before take off, due to their coffee emergency.

“Grab a file from the table,” Hotch blankly stated as he sat and watched the clouds pass by his window. “Quickly scan the information, please.”

The team exchanged glances, confused as to why he was acting so distant, compared to usual.

Hotch talked to the window. “Her name is Kenna Leighton. She is 25 years old. She just graduated from college, majoring in Behavioral Analysis. She is also my niece.”

“You have a niece?” Agent David Rossi questioned.

“Kenna is actually not my niece. She is my goddaughter, but she has always called me her uncle,” Hotch flatly stated, then swallowed. “Kenna is afraid that she is being targeted by the unsub.”

“How so?” Agent Emily Prentiss questioned.

“The teenagers that have gone missing were all friends of Kenna's. None of their bodies have been found. Since Kenna studies Behavioral Analysis, she has already put a profile together for us. She is not 100% sure of it, but that is where you will come into play, Reid.”

Spencer nodded slightly.

“I understand that I am asking very much from all of you when I say this, but as long as you are on my team, you will protect Kenna. Is that understood?”

Everyone's heads nodded.

“Good. However, I would like someone with her at all times. I have not assigned anyone to be her 'protector', so I will let you know before the end of the day.” Hotch cleared his throat. “I am sorry that I am thinking so much about my goddaughter, but she is the closest thing I have to Haley anymore.”

“We understand, Hotch,” Agent Jennifer Jareau stated, rubbing his back in a comforting motion. “And, when you are ready to tell us, you can tell us all about Kenna.”

Hotch nodded, and said thank you to the team as they sat in silence for a few minutes.

The plane landed, and all anyone could think about was Hotch and his mysterious niece.
Hotch hustled his team into the two awaiting SUVs. They drove for about an hour until they came to a small town covered in fields and farms. The smell of manure hit their noses, and they all cringed at the odor.

“Hotch, is there a reason we are in 'Small Town Cow Shit, USA'?” Derek coughed, making everyone laugh.

Hotch smiled. “This is where Haley spent all of her summers growing up. Her grandparents lived here. She loved everything about this town and its people.”

The SUVs pulled onto a windy back road, pulling into a long driveway that led to a small, cozy house. Behind the house was a large farm. Red and white cattle were grazing in the fields next to the driveway and behind the house. As soon as Emily and JJ got out of the SUVs, they ran to the animals.

“Oh, aren't you just the cutest little thing?” Emily cooed.

“I'm going to take you home for Henry!” JJ exclaimed.

“You can pet them, if they want you to. Sometimes, they are quite stubborn. Just be careful not to touch the fence,” a voice spoke.

Spencer scrambled out of the car to see who the voice belonged to, and he couldn't believe his eyes.