Status: Comments, suggestions, criticisms (constructive, please) are all welcome....or just swing by and say hey.

The Last Good Thing About This Part of Town

Chapter Two

"'K thanks, Mom!" Patrick answered.

"So?" Joe drew out the word, his eyes shining with excitement as he rocked on the balls of his feet, his whole body humming with energy.

"What the hell," Julianna dropped her backpack onto the burka lounger when three older males bounded down the stairs with amplifiers, guitar cases and drums in tow.

"Hey hey!" one of them grinned like an imp, his dark hair falling straight over his face.

"Hey Pete," Patrick greeted his friends, "Tim...Andy."

"Hey, who's this?" the long-haired one they called Andy nodded in Julianna's direction over the large bass drum he was hefting. The first thing she noticed about him were the colorful tattoos all up and down his arms.

"Guys, this is Julianna," Patrick made the introduction this time. "Julianna, this is Pete, Tim and Andy. They're in the band with Joe."

"Oh my God, Patty, is this your girlfriend?" Pete blurted out, his face still pulled into that stupid, toothy grin. He was kind of cute, though, in an emo hair, guy-liner sort of way.

"No!" Patrick protested just a little too loudly. He lowered his voice. "I mean, no, we just met."

"Yeah, I was just working on some homework with Joe. We're lab partners," Julianna said shyly. She looked at Patrick's face and saw the blush creeping up his neck. She knew her face looked very similar.

"Mmhmmm," Pete said, patting his friend on the shoulder as he took his bass guitar case to the music room where the other guys were setting up their instruments and equipment.

Patrick bit his bottom lip, "Look, I'm sorry about that. He's an idiot." Julianna smiled and Patrick was sure it was not only the first time he had seen her smile since he met her, but it was also so beautiful. Probably because a Julianna smile was such a rare thing. Her full lips curved up slowly to reveal her straight, white teeth and her dark brown eyes creased in the corners. 'Never mind. She is something special,' Patrick thought.

"Dude, you gonna jam with us or stare at Julianna all night?" Joe held the glass door open and poked his head out. Patrick's cheeks flushed. He looked at his feet as if to hide his embarrassment at being caught staring. Joe waved Julianna over. "Come on, we've got a very special spot for you."

"Intriguing," Julianna said, and it wasn't sarcastic or clipped. She was beginning to actually like these boys and feel comfortable around them. Maybe having some friends, band boys though they may be, wouldn't be the end of the world. She walked over to Joe, who ushered her through the door, and Patrick followed.

"Welcome to VIP seating," Joe gestured grandly toward the leather executive chair in front of the computer, which sat off to the side of the band so she wasn't looking at them straight-on. This way she could see all the guys playing their instruments. Andy, the drummer, had brought his own five-piece set and was setting up as the rest of them tuned. Tim, apparently the singer, was off to one side warming up his voice. Pete, the bassist, stood in another corner of the room, bent at the waist over his guitar, plucking the four strings repeatedly and turning the pegs until the instrument was properly tuned. Joe and Patrick stood facing each other near the front of the room, each with an electric guitar slung across their torsos, strumming chords and turning pegs until they were pitch perfect. Julianna was amazed that none of them needed a tuning device. They all seemed to be able to play by ear, which was impressive. After several minutes of noise and dissonant sounds coming from all corners of the room, the boys each took their place as if they were performing live. Tim and his microphone took front center stage with Pete on his left and Joe and Patrick on his right. Andy, of course, say behind his drum kit in the back. None of them had music stands of physical copies of music.

"What's first?" Joe asked, turning so his back was to Patrick but so that he could see the rest of the band.

"I was thinking we could start with 'Expatriates' and bleed right into 'Pale Horse,' then play the other three songs in the same order as last time," Tim said.

"I think that's gonna be a weird transition," Andy shook his head, scrunching up one side of his face like he could already hear how it would sound and it was not pleasing.

"No, dude, you can drop out," Tim gestured with his hands as he talked, "then Joe will sustain the last note, Pete plays a four count, then start in on 'Pale Horse.'" Andy still did not look convinced. "Let's just do it this once and if we don't like it we can try something else. I just think 'Expatriates' is our strongest song."

"We'll try it," Pete said. "Count us in, Andy."

The drummer lifted his arms above his head and clicked his sticks together in a fast count, "One, two, onetwothreefour!" Hard, guitar-heavy music filled the dorm-room sized space. Tim's vocals were gravelly, half singing, half growling, mixed with Pete's intermittent background screams, and Joe's fingers seemed to fly over his guitar strings as he played, bobbing his head along to the furious beat. A metal core band practice was not an activity Julianna would have ever voluntarily attended, but it would have been a shame if she had never heard these guys play. They were really good. All five of them were talented musicians individually, and together they were magic. No one instrument dominated the sound; they listened to each other and responded equally to changes in tempo, pitch and volume. Julianna especially liked to watch Patrick play. He didn't jump around and head bang like Pete and Joe; he spent most of the time looking at his hands strumming over the strings and instinctively moved with the music, but he stayed in one spot as he played. She wondered if he even knew that he was, indeed, bobbing his head to the music.

Every so often he would look over at Joe or Tim or back at Andy and smile or make some sort of face, but then he would look down at his hands again. He didn't draw attention to himself, but Patrick was all she could focus on. He obviously loved playing music with his friends, as if he could stay in this room for the rest of his life with these four guys playing their songs, and he would be the most content guy in the world. His joy in that moment was infectious, and to Julianna he was the most attractive boy in the room. Most girls probably did not even give him a second look...if they looked at him at all. In a world where girls wanted tall, dark and handsome, Patrick was definitely a diamond in the rough. He was short, probably standing only about five feet-five inches, had an average build and was by no means ripped. As he played, Julianna could see the muscles in his biceps and forearms ripple with his movements, but he would not be winning strength competitions or boxing matches any time soon. Besides, he seemed more like a lover than a fighter to her. His straight blonde hair was mostly covered by a gray knit beanie with his bangs peeking out and falling over his forehead and eyebrows. Despite the shadow cast by his hat, Julianna could tell his green eyes were framed by long lashes any girl would kill to have, and when he smiled his full lips pulled his whole face into the action. No, he wasn't tall, dark and handsome, but he was cute, smart, sincere and incredibly talented, and those were the traits that made him so attractive to her.

"Hey, do what'd you think?"

Julianna jumped at the question, realizing just how deep into her own thoughts she had waded. The band was finished playing their entire set and now they wanted her opinion.

"It was good. You guys were great," Julianna said in the general direction of the question. She really was not sure who actually asked it.

"Just good?" Tim asked, not impressed with the general compliments. Julianna glared at him, hoping he would pick up on the fact that she was not impressed with his Type-A personality.

"Dude, chill," Pete rested his forearms on the bass guitar still slung over his body and shifted his attention to the girl. "Do you think it's good enough to play for a hardcore crowd at Grant Park?"

"Yeah," Julianna nodded her head and shrugged. "The transition between your first and second songs worked and kept the energy of the set moving forward. You guys sound awesome and gel well together. It's impressive."

"Thanks," Andy smiled.

"So when is your show?"

"Next Friday night," Pete, clearly the outgoing personality in the group, answered. "We're opening for Flatfoot 56 and a little Ohio band called Relient K. We go on at seven and have a twenty minute slot to fill."

"Pretty sure if you play for that crowd what you just played for me, they will be saying 'Flatfoot 56 who? Bring back the opening act!'"

"That's a stretch, but nice to hear," Tim smiled at the thought of being the band whose name the audience chants.

"Hey, look at that, Tim can take a compliment," Joe teased and the rest of the guys smirked at Tim as he rolled his eyes.

"Why do I even hang out with you jokers?"

"Because you need a little humor in your life and we are hella funny," Pete answered.

"And because you can't play all the instruments by yourself," Andy piped in from behind his drum set. "Hey, Julianna, you wanna come to the show?"

She was taken aback at the abrupt, unsolicited invitation, taking several seconds before she answered, "I don't know. This is the first time I'm hearing about it. The Chicago hardcore scene isn't really my thing."

"Trick's going. It's not his favorite either," Pete offered.

"What? No! Not true," Patrick defended himself. "I just prefer the more melodic stuff to, you know, screaming." Pete just stood over there smirking and shaking his head.

"Aren't you playing with the band?" Julianna directed her question to Patrick, her eyes narrowed in confusion. Patrick shook his head.

"Naw, his momma won't let him," Pete teased. Patrick just kept shaking his head and fiddled with the strings on his guitar, but Julianna could see the red flush creeping up his neck again.

"I promised her I would finish high school before joining a band...if that's even what I choose to do with my life," Patrick explained. "The band practices here because Joe's in the band and I've got the best setup. Plus, they let me play at practices and I get into shows for free."

"Sweet," Julianna said.

"Ok, seriously, enough with the chit-chat," Tim interjected, sounding a little annoyed. "We're here for the music. Can we go through the whole set again to solidify that transition? Then we can work on some of the trouble spots in the newest song."

"Good deal, let's do this thing!" Pete poised his fingers over his bass, ready to play again. This time, Julianna made it a point to watch the entire band rather than stare at Patrick like some starstruck school girl. By the time they were finished with practice, they had gone through their five song set twice, played the the third song in the set -- their newest song as Tim called it -- at least four times, and changed a chord progression in their final song at least three times. Joe looked like he was about to break his guitar over Tim's head and Andy had popped a blister on his left hand during a particularly intense drum solo. It was time to end before they weren't friends anymore.

Patrick helped Andy disassemble the drum kit while Pete went over to talk to Julianna. He liked Pete. Pete was a decent guy, a great bassist and lyricist, but he did not trust Pete, especially around members of the opposite sex. 'This is ridiculous,' Patrick scolded himself silently. 'Why do I even care?' But he couldn't deny that stab of jealousy hitting him right in the gut when Julianna laughed at something Pete said. He must have been staring because Andy whistled and waved his hand in front of Patrick's face.

"Earth to Trick. You've got my ride cymbal. I'd like to take it out to the van."

"Oh, sorry, man," Patrick looked down at what was in his hand, and sure enough it was Andy's ride cymbal.

"What's the deal with...oh, got it," Andy followed the younger man's gaze to answer his own question.

"Actually, I'll take the cymbals, you take the kick drum," Patrick attempted to change the subject, hefting the ride cymbal up under his arm then picking up the crash cymbal by it's stand. He carried the instruments toward the stairs. Andy hoisted his drum against his chest and followed his friend.

"So you like her?" Andy grinned as they lugged their instruments up the wooden basement stairs.

"I don't know, maybe," Patrick couldn't lie to Andy. He was the least judgmental of them all, and also the most perceptive. "We just met today and she's not really my type, but there's something, like, mysterious about her that I want to figure out."

"Um, bud, don't take this the wrong way because you know I love you, but what is your type? I mean, have you even had a girlfriend yet?" Andy set the large drum on the kitchen floor as Patrick opened the door leading into the garage and pressed the button to open the garage door.

"No," Patrick admitted, "but I know what I like and it's definitely not a girl like her. She's so reserved and brooding and mysterious. I like open and outgoing and fun." They walked through the garage with the instruments, then set them down on the concrete driveway near the back end of the white van.

"Maybe you don't," Andy said matter-of-factly, opening the back end of the van and carefully setting his drum up on it's end against the side wall. "You think that's what you want or need because you tend to be shy and reserved, but maybe what you need is someone different. It's not necessarily a good thing to date someone who is your complete opposite."

"Why? What's wrong with that? I don't want someone like me because, believe me when I say, I'm not exactly known for my outgoing personality and sparkling wit," Patrick loaded the cymbals into the van, setting them up against the drum to prevent it from rolling once the van was in motion. "I need someone who can carry on conversations and make me not so invisible when we walk into a room."

"Patrick, you yourself have plenty to offer on your own. You don't need a girl to complete you. You need the right girl who likes you for you and who will be your best friend. Someone who shares some of your same interests but is also their own individual."

"And what do Julianna and I have in common? We hardly know each other!"

"Well, music is an essential part of your life, and she seems to be just as obsessed, if not she is at least knowledgable about bands and genres and music theory. I mean, if she can carry on a conversation with Joe then she must be more than just a casual radio listener." Andy had a point there. Joe was polite and friendly to everyone, but he didn't consider people worth his time beyond pleasantries if they couldn't talk in depth about guitars or rock and roll or know at least one obscure band.

"Ok, but beyond that, what's there?" Patrick leaned his back against the van and shoved his hands in his jean pockets.

"Man, I don't know! I'm not an expert. I'd just hate to see you pass up a chance because you were over-thinking it or too shy to pursue it or whatever. I don't know her that well, but I know you. And the way you looked at her then looked at Pete when he went over to her was enough to convince he that there is something there. I mean, we've only known each other for a year, but I've never seen you look at a girl that way...and not for lack of female population because you know Pete." Patrick was convinced that most of the girls at the band's shows were not actually there for the music but rather for the bassist playing the music. It seemed like he had a new girl every other week or so.

They went back inside to finish bringing the rest of the drum kit out to the van. Pete was still talking to Julianna, but at least Joe and Tim were over there now too. Patrick couldn't explain why it bothered him so much unless he really was attracted to her like Andy seemed to think. Maybe he should try to get to know her to see how she felt about him, and to test his own feelings to see if they are legitimate. The worst that could happen would be her saying no if he asked her out, and if nothing else he would have a new friend and the band would have a new fan. He heard a higher-pitched laugh, definitely female, and snapped his head around to see Julianna laughing at something Pete said again, her face genuinely happy. Pete was smiling too and standing too close to her. 'Scratch that. The worst case scenario would be if Julianna became Pete's flavor of the week.' Patrick looked away and focused on helping Andy pick up the drums. A girl was not worth losing a friend over. And, despite his need for attention and causing ruckus, Pete was a loyal friend.

By the time all the instruments, microphones and stands were loaded into the van, it was still only 8:30, and no one was ready to go home yet. Joe called his girlfriend to meet up with them at Patrick's house, and by the time she drove there from her job in Willamette the rest of the group had decided to go bowling. Julianna called her mom to let her know where she was and when she thought she might be home, and after negotiating for a later curfew she hung up the phone in the Stumph's kitchen and turned to the rest of them.

"Really? You have a 10:30 curfew on a Friday night?" Pete asked incredulously.

"Yeah, so? I'm only 16," she said.

"What?!" Pete grabbed at his chest and playfully staggered backwards into Tim, who pushed him back into a standing position. Julianna smiled and shook her head. "Is it even legal for us to be hanging out? I mean, you're great and all, but I'm not about to go to jail for a girl."

"Just don't try any funny business," Andy said, pushing his friend's shoulder as they walked off with Tim to find Joe and his girlfriend. Patrick was suddenly very aware of the fact that he was alone in his kitchen with Julianna. 'Just say something. Anything.'

"Um, so--" he began as she asked, "How old are Tim, Andy and Pete, exactly?"

"Oh, um, Tim and Pete are twenty-one and Andy is twenty," Patrick shoved his hands in the front pockets of his jeans again, then pulled them out and wiped his palms on his thighs. 'Quit that. Stop moving. Just act like a normal person.'

"So, how did you and Joe meet them? Obviously, you guys don't go to school together and Pere said he and Andy live in Wilmette?"

"Well, Joe actually met Pete first, in a Borders bookstore. They were both there to see some local musician, and since Pete still talk to anyone and Joe loves talking bands and music, they got to talking and Joe found out Pete was in a band and they needed a lead guitarist, and Pete found out Joe played guitar, and the rest is history as they say."

"What about you? How is it they practice at your house but you aren't actually in the band?"

"I went to their very first show in Chicago last year and Joe introduced me to the guys. They weren't looking for a fifth member but they did need a good practice space, so I offered my basement."

"Are you two coming or what? We're leaving!" Andy's voice called from the next room.

"Yeah, we're coming!" Patrick called back. He swept his arms in a grand gesture toward the doorway and bent slightly forward at the waist, "After you."

"Why thank you," Julianna played along, walking through the doorway. He followed, and they all went through the garage out to the cars in the driveway.

"Shot gun!" Pete called immediately.

"Dude, we don't even know who's going with who yet," Tim said, pulling the van keys out of his back pocket.

"I don't care who I ride with," Pete said. "I'm sitting in the front seat."

"Do you mind driving the van?" Joe asked Tim.

"No. I kinda expected to drive," Tim answered.

"Ok. How about you three take the van, then Linds, Trick, Julianna and I can go in her car?" Joe suggested.

"You're driving," Lindsay told her boyfriend, shoving her key ring into his chest and going around to the front passenger side of her 1990 Cadillac DeVille.

"You drive a grandma car, you get to haul the kids around," Joe grinned at her.

"Just open the door," Lindsay said, her tone sounded impatient but her face said she was mostly kidding.

"Guess that's what we're doing," Tim said.

"Shot gun!" Pete shouted again.

"Dude, we get it, shut up," Andy climbed into the back seat of the five passenger van, and Pete and Tim got in the front. The other four got in Lindsay's boat of a car.

"I'm Lindsay, by the way," she introduced herself as Joe pulled the car out of the driveway. "Sorry about these rude guys."

"Julianna."

"Ah, you're the lab partner."

'What?! Joe talked about me to his girlfriend?!'

"Yep, I'm the lab partner," Julianna looked out her window. She wasn't sure what she thought of this girl yet. Lindsay was definitely pretty...and outgoing. She had curly blonde hair that fell freely over her shoulders, and she was dressed in tight jeans and an Abercrombie & Fitch hoodie. For as rock and roll as Joe was, this girl was cheerleader prep. Thankfully, that was the end of their conversation because Lindsay turned her attention to regaling Joe with news and stories from her coffeeshop job. Apparently, she got hit on a lot. Julianna did her best to tune it out, casting a sidelong glance at Patrick, who was staring out his window as if the passing houses and trees in his neighborhood were the most fascinating things in the world. He was definitely a different kind of guy. Peculiar, yet interesting. An enigma wrapped up in a nervous little beanie-wearing package.

He didn't seem to mind silence, which was fine. She liked to be quiet and get lost in her own thoughts, too. But he also didn't seem to know how to begin conversations. It wasn't that he couldn't carry on a conversation because she was certain that if someone got him on the right subject he would not shut up. But he wouldn't start it. She could not figure out if it was because he didn't know what to say or if he was being polite by letting the other person guide the conversation. Whatever the case, he was frugal with his words which allowed him to be concise and direct, and he came across as being sincere and friendly despite his obvious shyness.

The car ride to the all-night bowling alley was only a six minute drive from Patrick's house. When they walked inside the bowling alley/bar, Julianna was surprised when the man and woman working behind the front counter greeted the group like they were old friends.

"Good evening, boys!" the woman, whose nametag read 'Judy', smiled warmly, "Lindsay."

"Good evening, Miss Judy," Lindsay smiled back and the guys each offered a greeting.

"And who is this pretty girl, Patrick?" the older gentleman, Bill, asked. Patrick blushed again but smiled at the man who was old enough to be his grandfather and introduced Julianna.

"Nice to meet you, young lady," Bill nodded kindly at her.

"Are you boys, and ladies, in for two games tonight?" Judy asked from behind the register.

"Yeah, we'll start with two," Pete answered. "We may play more, though."

"Ok. That's fine. Just let us know, sweetheart," Judy took the money Pete handed to her as Bill set five pairs of multi-colored suede bowling shoes on the counter.

"What size do you need, Julianna?" he asked.

"Um, size six, please," Julianna felt like she was in a daze. Meeting this older couple, who seemed to be very familiar with Patrick and his friends, and Pete paying for their games. She didn't know how to react to these people in this new environment. As the group walked away from the counter to put on their shoes, Julianna lagged behind slightly and grabbed Patrick's forearm, pulling him close. He looked surprised at the physical contact.

"Did Pete pay for everyone?" she asked in a low voice.

Patrick shook his head, "We all pooled our money. Bill and Judy don't charge us for the shoe rental, just the games, so it only costs like three bucks a person for two games. You can pay Pete back if it bothers you." Julianna realized she was still gripping Patrick's arm and she quickly brought her hand back to her side, then walked ahead of him to join the others at the two lanes on the far end of the bowling alley.

"So, who's playing against who?" Julianna flounced down next to Pete in the conjoined plastic seats and put her shoes on as if the interaction with Patrick, and the fact that she touched his arm and felt light-headed by his nearness, didn't actually happen. Lindsay sat on Joe's lap across the narrow aisle while Tim and Andy sat in front of the computerized score sheet. Patrick sat down next to Joe and Lindsay to put on his shoes.

"What makes you think we're competing?" Pete asked slyly.

"Come on, five guys playing a sport? There will be competition," Julianna's torso was turned fully to face Pete, her left leg pulled up onto the small space between her body and his.

"Well, based on what happened last time, I'm guessing Trick and Tim will not be on the same team," Pete grinned widely at his friend. Patrick narrowed his eyes. "Sorry, man," Pete apologized but it wasn't sincere.

“Why, what happened?” Julianna asked.

“Let’s just say Tim is very competitive, and this guy’s not exactly know for his athleticism and hand-eye coordination,” Pete was struggling to keep from busting up laughing. The dim lighting in the bowling alley made his hazel eyes appear to be sparkling as he clearly enjoyed the moment.

“You’re an asshole,” Patrick muttered. Clearly, he was not amused by what happened, or maybe it was the fact that there seemed to be no secrets kept when Pete was around.

“Yeah, but I’m handsome, so it evens out,” Pete responded and Patrick couldn’t help but smirk at his friend’s audacious view of himself. Thim and Andy finally decided the teams and the group split themselves between the two lanes. Tim, Joe, Lindsay and Pete were on one lane, and Andy, Patrick and Julianna were on the other.

“Don’t expect much, or laugh at my misfortunes because I’m warning you right now I’m kinda terrible at this,” Julianna warned as she stepped up to the lane to take her first turn. She managed to knock down seven pins in the first frame.

“Not too shabby,” Andy nodded his approval. Patrick congratulated her with a high-five and she happily sat down next to him while Andy took his turn.

“You guys do this often?” she asked.

“Yeah. Pete calls it team-building, but I secretly think it’s just an excuse for him to flaunt his athletic abilities and curb his and Tim’s competitive edges,” Patrick made a point to make eye contact with her as he spoke. She actually smiled and kind of giggled at his remark, and his insides turned to jello. He wanted this girl. Not in a sexual way – although that wouldn’t be off the table – rather he just wanted to be around her, to talk to her and hear her stories as he told her his, to understand her mysterious moods, and to learn what made her laugh or cry or pissed off. A loud cheer erupted from the next lane, and they looked over to see Joe throwing his hands up in celebration of his first strike.

“And so it begins,” Andy dead-panned.

“The slaughter,” Patrick said in a deep, ominous voice as if he was narrating a horror movie trailer. As Patrick was taking his turn, Judy came over to ask if they wanted anything to eat or drink. Andy ordered a large pizza with “everything but the anchovies,” and Joe ordered the Tex-Mex nachos. By the middle of the fourth frame, Bill and Judy brought out the food as well as seven large Cokes.

“Thanks, Judy,” Pete flirted with the woman old enough to be his grandmother as she handed him a cup of pop.

“Flattery will get you no where, young man,” Judy said sternly, but she was smiling and her eyes were warm and kind. She obviously doted on and loved these boys as if they were her own.

“Except knocked out,” Bill warned. The group laughed and Pete feigned insult.

“Oh we’re all waiting for the day a smart girl just lays him out cold,” Lindsay teased.

“In fact, we have a pool going,” Tim piled on, “of when and if he will require hospitalization or just stitches.”

“It wouldn’t be the first time,” Pete said.

“What? When?” Tim asked, surprised there was still something he didn’t know about his band mate.

“Noheli Lopez, seventh grade,” Pete responded. “You guys don’t know everything about me.”

“I like this Noheli girl,” Lindsay said. “I wish there were more girls out there like her.”

They got back to their game, sharing the pizza and nachos between the two lanes. By the time they had played two games, Pete’s team had beaten Andy’s team by one hundred points, and Pete and Tim were reveling in their victory as the rest were trying to decide if they wanted to play one more game. No one really wanted to go home yet.

“Whoa!” Patrick looked over at the clock hanging above the front counter, “It’s almost eleven. Do you have to be home, Julianna?”

“Not yet,” Julianna drained the last of her now watered-down Coke and set the emtpy styrofoam cup on top of the empty pizza tray. “I don’t have to be home until midnight.”

“Awesome!” Pete exclaimed. “Let’s play another game!”

“Um, guys, I have to go,” Lindsay said, wrapping her arm around Joe’s waist and leaning against his shoulder, her eyes drooping slightly. “I’m wiped out and I have to work again tomorrow.”

“I’ll walk you out,” Joe leaned his head down on hers for a brief moment, then released her to sit down and take off his bowling shoes. Everyone else said their goodbyes to Lindsay as she returned her bowling shoes for her street shoes.

“I vote we go back to Patrick’s house and just hang out,” Andy said.

“Sounds good to me,” Patrick looked at Julianna, who was standing very close to his side. “I think I’ve filled my athletic quota for the week.”

“Fine,” Pete fake pouted, “but I’m printing out these scores and framing them because I was on fire!”

“You do that,” Patrick said sarcastically, patting his friend on the shoulder.