Status: Comments, suggestions, criticisms (constructive, please) are all welcome....or just swing by and say hey.

The Last Good Thing About This Part of Town

Chapter Three

When they arrived back at Patrick's house, Joe informed Julianna that he wasn't quite ready to go home yet, but he would take her home since she rode with him.

"I can take you home," Patrick jumped in too quickly. Joe, Andy and Julianna just stared at him like he had grown a horn in the middle of his head. "I mean, if you need a ride...or whatever."

"That's fine. Patrick can take me home," Julianna smiled politely at Joe.

They all got out of the van, and Pete, Tim and Andy raced inside, down to the basement to play Gran Turismo on Patrick's Playstation. Joe followed at a much more leisurely pace, and Julianna started that way too but Patrick stopped her with a hand on her arm.

"Julianna, wait!" he said a little too loud and earnest, but she stopped and turned to face him.

"Yes?" she asked, curious.

Patrick immediately took his hand back and shoved his hands in his front pockets again, nervously kicking his foot at the ground, "Um, well, I-- you never actually answered Pete's question about going to the show next Friday. I was just wondering if you're going and if you want to carpool?" 'Carpool? What, are you a soccer mom?' He mentally kicked himself.

"Yeah, sure," Julianna shrugged, "I mean, it sounds like a good time. It's been great hanging out with you guys tonight."

"Yeah?" Patrick smiled wide. "Pete didn't scare you off?"

Julianna laughed again and Patrick knew he could spend a long time just waiting to hear that sound again.

"No, Pete is fine," Julianna answered. "Underneath all that emo hair and attitude, he really is sweet. Don't tell him I said that, though."

"My lips are sealed," Patrick pressed his lips together and acted like he was locking them then throwing away the key.

"Ok, well, I really should get going now," Julianna said. "I'm gonna go get my backpack and say bye to the guys. Meet you back at your car?"

"Sounds good."

Three minutes later, Patrick and Julianna were in his car, pulling out of the driveway. Julianna navigated as Patrick drove, and not even ten minutes later they were across town in front of Julianna's house.

"Holy crap," Patrick leaned down in order to look out the windshield and take in the enormity of her house. Mansion was more like it. The house itself was at least three stories high with a patio balcony stretched across the second story. A wide wooden porch wrapped around the front of the house, and the yard was perfectly landscaped and manicured. He thought Joe's house was big. This house was excessive.

"And that is why I don't bring friends, or lab partners, over," Julianna dead-panned.

"Who are you?" Patrick turned his head to look at her, wide-eyed, but she could tell he was half-kidding.

"Oh shut up," she shoved his shoulder hard. "My dad is a professional hockey team owner and my mom inherited her dad's real estate company. My parents are stinking rich. I'm making my own way."

"Your dad owns the Chicago Blackhawks?!" Patrick exclaimed. 'Did he even hear anything I said after that?' Julianna nodded, then the light went on in his eyes as he connected the dots. "Oh my god, your brother is Jonathan Toews! All-state, all-star hockey team captain, NHL-bound."

"Twin brother. So you can imagine how disappointed my parents were when their other child, only daughter, rebelled against the system and had the audacity to be artistic," she said sarcastically.

"That's too bad because I think you're pretty rad," Patrick said without thinking. "I mean, we all think you're pretty rad...the band, you know, Joe, Andy--"

"I know what you meant," Julianna interrupted him with a hand on his arm as a hot blush crept up her neck. "Please promise you won't tell the other guys in the band?"

"I promise. Does Joe know that you're practically neighbors when it comes to socio-economic status?"

Julianna frowned and shook her head, "He knows about Jonathan, but not about my parents' money. I don't really want to talk about it anymore. I should go inside so they know I'm home. See you at school on Monday?"

"Yep. See you Monday."

"Thanks for the ride. And for tonight. I had fun," Julianna smiled at him one last time then grabbed her backpack from the floor and got out of the car. She did not look back at him as she walked up her driveway and disappeared inside her monstrous house, and for the first time in his life Patrick was actually looking forward to school on Monday morning when he would see her again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello fellow readers and writers! You all are an amazing bunch of people. Thank you for taking the time to read my story. Hope you enjoy it. If not, please let me know what you would do better or what would improve it. I'm open to constructive criticisms.

Please comment. Thank you.

xo
Alyson