Status: Comments, suggestions, criticisms (constructive, please) are all welcome....or just swing by and say hey.

The Last Good Thing About This Part of Town

Chapter Eight

Pete, Andy and Joe decided to keep the Halloween gig they were scheduled to play. After sweet-talking Mrs. Stumph, convincing her that Patrick would not run off with the band, it was decided that Pete would take over lead vocals and continue playing bass. Joe would sing backup and play lead guitar, and Patrick would play Tim's rhythm guitar parts. Andy, of course, would continue being the rhythmic backbone of the band, beating his drums into submission. After this show, however, the boys were going to put the band on a break until after the upcoming holidays and the first of the year.

For Pete, that decision was heart-wrenching because he had put so much time and energy and effort into forming and promoting Arma Angelus. He had been the one to "discover" Joe, and when the kid joined, finally solidifying the band line-up, Pete banked on the idea that Arma Angelus would be his ticket to notoriety and a career as a professional musician. There was nothing he wanted to do, nothing he was better at than writing lyrics and playing his bass guitar. He did not care about money as much as he wanted people to know his name, and he couldn't imagine doing anything else. And he wanted to do it with these guys.

The show was actually a costume party at their friend Chris's house. Patrick or Joe invited Julianna -- it was impossible to tell anymore because she was always with them. They were like the three amigos. If you saw one, the other two were probably in the vicinity somewhere. It was all right, though, because all the guys in the band liked her and appreciated having her around. It was nice to have a female presence in the group that was more permanent that one of their girlfriends or casual hook-ups.

By 9:30 on Halloween night, long after the trick-or-treaters had gone home, the party was in full swing, but the band was not expected to go on until later. Pete and Andy had arrived early at Chris's house to help him rearrange the living room furniture, creating a dance floor, and made sure all the breakables were put away. They also went on a beer run and had arrived back to the house just as the first guests were pulling into the driveway.

Now, Pete and Andy, respectively dressed up in full, furry costumes as the Mario characters Yoshi and Donkey Kong, were setting up their monitors, amp cabinets and instruments on the makeshift stage in Chris's living room while a mixture of thumpy techno music and punk rock blared from the huge speakers in the corners of the room. Some of the costumed party-goers were dancing but most were just mingling all over the house, drinks in hand, chatting it up with their friends. Joe, Patrick and Julianna, or Luigi, Mario and Princess Toadstool, walked into the party with instruments in hand shortly after it began. While Joe stopped to talk to a couple friends and acquaintances he recognized from previous shows, Julianna and Patrick made a beeline for the stage -- which was really a wooden platform in front of the huge bay window looking out to the front yard.

"This is crazy!" Patrick had to shout at Pete over the noise of people and music filling the room. "I didn't know Chris knew this many people."

"He doesn't," Pete grinned. "It was a word of mouth sort of thing. You guys look awesome, by the way."

"Thanks," Julianna responded, "so do you....and you too, Andy!" She called back to the drummer. He smiled and waved in acknowledgement.

"Are you ready for this, man?" Pete asked Patrick, coming up beside the younger man and clapping him playfully on the shoulder.

"Yeah," Patrick straightened up from where he was plugging his amp into the extension cord snake on the floor, "I'm stoked. Ready to go. Let's do this thing." He wiped his sweaty palm on the bib of his overalls and adjusted the red trucker hat with a blue "M" emblazoned on the front. Patrick was sure Pete had no concept of the meaning of "being nervous," so he didn't feel it necessary to let on that he was just plain freaking out. He had been unable to eat the delicious spaghetti dinner his mom had made for him, Joe and Julianna because his stomach roiled like a tempest, but he had forced down a piece of garlic bread. He was not about to embarrass himself or the band by passing out from hunger on stage during his first performance.

"Hey, did you guys know Tim was going to be here?" Joe wandered up to the group and leaned his guitar case against an amp.

"What? No!" the color drained from Patrick's face. "Shit!"

"Oh, way to go, Joe! Now the kid's definitely freaking out," Andy came over to join the conversation, drumming his sticks against his legs to release some pent-up nervous energy.

"It'll be fine, man. You're gonna be great," Pete tried to encourage the now ghostly pale teenager. "Don't let the fact that Tim is here bother you."

"He's probably gonna be critical because that's how he is," Joe added, "but he's not part of this band anymore so we don't really care what he says."

"Easy for you guys to say," Patrick mumbled, looking down at his red Converse. The boys went back to setting up their equipment and instruments, and Pete shot concerned glances in Patrick's direction every so often. The kid looked like he could throw up at any minute.

Julianna was helping Joe place his amp and monitor where he wanted them, and Patrick would look over once in awhile to see Julianna laughing at Joe's antics, made especially funny because he was dressed up in overalls and a green trucker hat with an "L" on the front. Patrick knew Joe and Julianna had become really close friends in the past couple weeks, especially since Joe and Lindsay broke up and Julianna became his confidant. But Patrick also wondered if Joe had an ulterior motive in keeping Julianna so close, or if she chose to spend her time with Joe because she had feelings for him. On top of the nerves, the thought that Julianna could be into Joe, his best friend, made him sick to his stomach. It was like that night he took her to her first Arma Angelus show and danced with her and drove her home, when she kissed his cheek, never happened. She treated Patrick the way she treated the other guys and never brought up that night.

Patrick wished he could just blurt out his feelings like Pete was prone to do or find it easy to just start a conversation and have her laughing like Joe, but being around her made him so tongue-tied and air-headed. She was intimidating and emotionally fragile, and he definitely did not want to lose her friendship if he admitted his true feelings for her....especially if she didn't seem to reciprocate them. Her rejection would probably crush him.

But tonight he was not going to dwell on his girl problems. Tonight was going to focus on the music and playing the best show he possibly could to prove to Tim and all the rest what he was made of. If there was anything Patrick was confident he could do well, it was music. He knew rhythms and guitar chords better than he knew his own feelings most of the time. Performing with these guys, playing these songs he has played dozens of times before in his basement, was something he knew he could succeed at, and he was determined to prove it to everyone else, too.

After some tuning, the band was ready to kick off their set. Julianna stood off to the side of the stage closest to Patrick. She did not feel comfortable hanging out with anyone else at the party. Sure, she had met Chris briefly, but everyone else at the party was a virtual stranger to her so she decided to stay close to the band. And the fact that Patrick was playing his first gig ever tonight was a big deal. She wanted him to know that she fully supported him, and she wanted to make sure she could be there with water or a trash can in case he passed out or puked. As brave a face as he may put on, Patrick was already beginning to sweat, his cheeks were devoid of color, his eyes focused mostly on his hands moving over his guitar, and he kept bouncing his right leg to the rhythm of whatever song was playing through his head at the moment. The guy was a hot mess.

Pete stepped up to the microphone and the room erupted in cheers. One guy shouted out, "Finally!" The band boys chuckled and Joe pointed in the direction of the voice.

"Thanks, man," Pete said into the microphone, his brown eyes shining even in the dim lighting of the room. "Happy Halloween, everybody!" The room cheered again. "We are so stoked to be here tonight. Thank you, Chris, for putting this party together and allowing us to play. We're being paid in beer tonight." Chris, who was standing at the back of the room near the speakers, lifted his beer cup, and the crowd laughed as Andy punctuated the joke with a snare-cymbal combo. Pete chuckled into the microphone, grinning widely. "We're Arma Angelus." They immediately launched into the first song.

As usual, Joe was his frenetic self, not able to remain in one spot too long as he head-banged to Andy's beat, his brown curls flying. Pete's vocals were pitchier than Tim's and he screamed more than sang, but he was surprisingly good at being able to play his bass part and remain at the microphone to sing-scream all his own lyrics. Andy thrashed and banged on his drums as hard as he could, like always. Then there was Patrick. Julianna could see the sweat pouring down his face from underneath the red ball cap on his head, and he stood in the same spot as if he was back in his basement. His head and body moved to the hardcore music, but his feet looked like they were glued to the floor. His playing was flawless, though.

The party-goers loved the band. Some of them Julianna recognized from the show a couple weeks back, and some she knew were friends and stage techs of the band. The rest were either Chris's friends or just random people that heard there was going to be a party with free beer on Halloween night, but the whole room was dancing or jumping or getting into the music in their own way. Most importantly, they were paying attention to the band. As she watched the four best friends performing in their Mario character costumes on the wooden platform of a stage in Chris's living room, Julianna knew they could not give this up. What they had together as friends was special, but what they had as a band was absolute magic. She wondered if that was why everyone in the room just couldn't look away from the four boys with instruments; because they could feel they were witnessing something unique, a new era dawning for this unlikely foursome that began playing instruments together in a basement.

A couple girls – or women because Julianna was pretty sure they were at least Andy’s or Pete’s age – crowded up to the stage. The tall blonde, dressed as a sexy nurse with her chest bursting out the top of her blouse, kept smiling up at Patrick and dancing, obviously hoping to get his attention. Her friend, a red-headed cat in tight spandex that accentuated every asset she had to offer, held a drink in one hand and was making eyes at Andy as she swayed her hips to the music. They were too far gone to care or even notice Julianna glaring at them as several more girls rushed the stage, desperately hoping the boys would show them some attention. Pete was all about giving into their wishes. When he didn’t have to play for a measure or two of a song he would reach out to their grasping hands like a king to his subjects, touching fingers and high-fiving others.

Patrick was too focused on playing all the correct notes and rhythms to pay much attention to the older women jumping and dancing around him, but Julianna felt something twist in her gut, leaving a bad taste in her mouth. Whether it was jealousy or possessiveness of her friends or a combination of the two she couldn’t quite tell. She was still trying to sort through her feelings for Patrick and Joe while mentally kicking herself because these emotional attachments were not supposed to happen. She knew there had to be much more productive uses of her time than spending every waking moment, or so it seemed, with these boys. She should be focusing on her original plan of graduating early and getting the hell out of town, away from her parents. She wanted to go to a four-year art school in Southern California, which she was sure her parents would not be willing to help pay for. That’s okay because she does not want their help anyway. She was going to miss Jonathan, who was definitely on the path that their parents had blazed for him practically from birth. But he didn’t seem to mind. In fact, he loved hockey – lived, breathed, and probably dreamed the sport – he probably would have been a hockey superstar even if their dad wasn’t insistent upon getting both of his kids involved in sports before they were barely out of diapers. Jonathan chose to play hockey and excelled, but Julianna never could get the hang of it, and not for lack of trying on her dad’s part. She could skate, and had been since she could walk, but as soon as that stick was put in her hand she became clumsy and uncoordinated. Plus, the equipment was so bulky and constricting, and she could not find the fun or even the satisfaction in chasing a little black puck around a sheet of ice. How was that going to make a difference in the world? It seemed pointless, useless to her.

Music and art, though, those were what sucked her in, much to her parents’ chagrin. Her dad was disappointed that he was not going to raise the next female star athlete, especially since he had spent so much time teaching his kids techniques and skills, and Julianna just did not seem interested. But he was generally supportive of whatever his only daughter chose to do with her life. He just didn’t understand why she would choose a field of study in which financial security was not a guarantee. He wanted all the best that life could offer his little girl, and for some reason unbeknownst to Julianna he thought that included a stable financial future if not wealth to rival his own. Her mom did not understand creativity. The woman didn’t have an original bone in her body, and she was disappointed by her daughter’s lack of interest in building and maintaining her societal image. Her mother wasn’t a bad person; she really cared what other people thought of her and spent her life carefully crafting this high-class, philanthropic concept of herself in other peoples’ minds. Julianna, though, couldn’t care less what her parent’s rich friends thought of her, and she definitely was not going to waste her time building an image that meant looking down her nose at others or even discarding them if they became a liability.

But this – being so attached to those four boys on that stage – was never part of the plan. Because now it was going to be much harder to cut all ties and leave when the time came. And these conflicting emotions over Joe and Patrick? What even is that? What’s wrong with me?! She wished she had another friend, a girl, she could talk to about this stuff.

All too soon, Pete was speaking his final words into the microphone, “You guys are awesome. Thanks for listening.” Then they played the final song and it was done. Arma Angelus, as they knew it, was over indefinitely. The crowd began to disperse all over the house again; some couples went upstairs for privacy, some chose to make out on the couch and against the wall in front of everyone and God, men and women resumed the conversations they had been having before the band played, some just drank and danced, and others organized into groups to play games. Chris made his way through the throng in his living room to talk to the band members.

“You were great tonight, boys!” Chris high-fived Pete, playfully punched Andy in the arm and ruffled Joe’s sweaty hair. His hat had come off his head long ago during a rather intense head-banging, guitar-thrashing session at the beginning of the set. Some girl had reached onto the stage and grabbed it, probably hoping Joe would come find her later in the night to get his hat back and maybe something else.

“Thanks,” Pete answered, wiping the sweat from his face with a towel he found in his guitar case. He was so damn hot in the Yoshi costume, but he was not about to take it off. Halloween was his favorite holiday, and dressing up as oddball characters was most of the fun.

“Yeah, man, thanks for having us,” Joe said politely, his guitar still slung across his torso.

“So what’d you think of Patrick’s skills tonight?” Pete wrapped his arm around the younger boy’s shoulders and pulled him against his side. Patrick offered a shy smile, wiping the sweat from his own now ruddy face.

“I didn’t even know you could play like that, little dude,” Chris grinned wide.

“This kid has more talent in his pinky than I have in my entire body,” Pete praised. Patrick just pursed his lips in a wry grin and shook his head, undermining the compliment.

“So are you gonna keep going forward with the band? Or do you guys know yet?” Chris asked curiously.

“We don’t know,” Joe shrugged. Pete released Patrick, who went off to put his guitar in its’ case so it wouldn’t get damaged by the raucous partiers.

“I think it would be a shame to stop playing as a band,” Chris looked apologetic. “The four of you had something dynamite up there tonight. Man, I’ve had live music at parties like this before and none of them have ever captured the attention of the room like you guys did.”

“Maybe they heard about Tim’s departure and came to witness the train wreck,” Joe offered sarcastically, looking at the other three band members for approval.

“Well, then they did not get what they were expecting,” Chris took a swig of beer. “Anything you want, you just let me know. I know Tim’s here so if he causes trouble or something…”

“Naw, we’ll be fine,” Pete told him, then Chris wandered off to find more friends, playing the ever-gracious host.

Julianna helped the boys pack up their instruments and roll up all the electrical cords so people wouldn’t trip on them, especially as they became more drunk throughout the night. But even as the party continued around them, there was a solemn silence, a sense of finality between the friends. Andy had taken off the headpiece of his Donkey Kong suit soon after arriving at the party, and as he and Julianna disassembled the drum kit she could see the resignation in his kind brown eyes. He sighed and pushed his wavy brown hair behind one ear as he gently set his cymbals on the floor then folded up the stand and set that against the wall. The other three boys had pushed all their cabinets and monitors up against the wall as well and stacked their guitar cases. Pete and Patrick sat on top of two of the large amps, their feet dangling over the side, looking like dejected Mario and emo Yoshi. Joe had wandered off to find some food and beer and maybe see about getting his hat back. Julianna quietly coiled up the last electrical cord and eavesdropped on Pete and Patrick’s conversation.

“I don’t wanna quit this, man,” Pete twisted his fingers in his lap and sighed. “God, this sucks!”

“Me neither,” Patrick agreed, softly drumming his hands against his thighs. “I mean, I didn’t even really get a chance to begin. I wanna do this…play music with you guys.”

“Don’t quit,” Julianna blurted out. The boys’ heads snapped up to look at her, their eyebrows drawn together. “You don’t have to let this be the end, so don’t let it. You guys need a singer, right? Take whatever break you need for the holidays, then go out and find a singer.”

Pete and Patrick looked at each other then back at Julianna. She suddenly felt self-conscious in her pink princess costume from Goodwill, giving her two cents where maybe it wasn’t wanted. They definitely did not ask for her opinion in this moment, but she hated to see them wallowing in self-pity. If being a band is what they wanted to do, then that dream shouldn’t be dashed just because one guy left the band, albeit a rather integral part of the formation of this band.

“How?” Patrick asked. “How does that work? What does that look like?”

“Hell if I know,” Julianna shrugged. “I don’t know anything about the music industry, but who says there has to be a formula for success? Why do you have to play by their rules?”

“Yeah,” Pete nodded, his dark brows slanted over his brown eyes and lips pursed. Patrick knew him well enough to see his brain was working in overdrive now. If there was an obstacle to his dream, Pete would find a way around it or barrel right through it. Patrick wished he had even a quarter of Pete’s determination and perseverance. “Yeah, we make our own rules, Trick! If Arma Angelus is done, then we try something else…different. Like something that reflects the four of us, you know? Yeah, yeah, I like it. Damn, I love that girl!” He grinned at Julianna, showing off perfectly straight teeth, which looked blindingly white against his light olive skin and the dim lighting of the party. She couldn’t help but smile back because a genuine Pete Wentz smile with a compliment was a rare thing and she knew he meant it.

“Hey!” Joe suddenly appeared at Julianna’s side and wrapped his arm around her waist. He was still hatless but was holding a red cup and his breath smelled like beer. “Come join the party, you party poopers!” Julianna noticed Patrick glaring at his friend as Joe hung on her. She wondered what his problem was. She was Joe’s friend, too. He had every right to be his usual touchy-feely-when-intoxicated self around her. Although, he was that way with her when he wasn’t drunk. Truth be told, though, she liked the attention from Joe, and Patrick sure was not going to make a move any time soon. She thought the initial interest between them – or whatever that electricity she thought they shared at the beginning – was a mutual feeling, but Patrick had not once brought up the night she kissed his cheek. He made no indication that he wanted to spend some alone time with her, either. When they hung out, Joe was always present. In fact, in the last couple weeks, Joe was the one initiating and extending the invite to get together. He really took a liking to her and she returned those feelings of friendship, but she also wondered if there could be more between her and Joe if she could just get Patrick out of her head. Also, why did he look…jealous?

“Come dance with me,” Joe turned his big blue eyes on her and gave her that crazy, lopsided grin that made him look like an irresistable, mop-headed puppy. He really was adorable, considerate and so, so funny…but Patrick. He made no move toward her and didn’t seem interested in asking her to dance or find a quiet place to talk or anything. Fine, she thought. Two can play this game. If he doesn’t want anything more – and Joe seems to – then I will see where this goes.

She turned her face to look at the curly-headed boy dressed as a Mario character and smiled wide, “Sure, Joe. Let’s go dance.” He set his cup on an amp and took her hand, leading her into the mass of moving bodies on the dance floor in Chris’s living room. Andy was in the corner by the stairs with a leggy blonde dressed as Wonder Woman hanging all over him.

“Okay, little dude, let’s go have some fun at this party,” Pete patted his friend’s shoulder then hopped off the amp. “Maybe find you a girl and get, like, stupid drunk or something.”

“I’m not drinking, Pete,” Patrick followed his friend through the crowd, headed toward the kitchen and the food and drinks.

“I’ll drink. You flirt with the ladies. Those girls at the front of the stage during the show were into you. Let’s find them.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Good afternoon, lovely people (or whatever time of day it is where you are). I hope the sun is shining where you are and hope is alive.

I added some to this chapter because...well...I felt like it needed something more. The next chapter will be up soon.

As always, thanks for reading! Please comment.

xo
ANS