Nova

One.

“Agatha,” my father began, “space is no place for a girl of your size or demeanor to go. Colonizing any sort of foreign and unexplored planet is highly discouraged among myself and your mother wouldn’t be too fond of it, either,” he said in a pissed-off tone.

“Dad, colonizing is our last bet. Earth is dying out so fast and Mars nor the moon are suitable because they don’t have the important resources. Planet 81-77 is filled with it. It isn’t unexplored, either. Crew 54 explored it and said they found the right things we need. Please, dad. I know I’m 17 but, come on. I want to explore. I’m an adult by your standards, you said it yourself… I have to go, I’m sorry. I love you, dad.” I retorted, leaning down to kiss the wrinkling forehead of my very angry dad. “I’ll send you a video message when I board and when we’re taking off...” And just like that I left the decaying home I had grown up in.

Earth was dying and nothing could fix the already deserted planet. Everyone either died or they all just left for the moon or Mars. Mars was lost a month ago on the radio and it being 10 years since the atmosphere collapsed and the planet got closer to the sun, everything is starting to die and wither away. No more water is being produced and nothing in the world could stop me from leaving. I grabbed my light bag and hopped onto the shuttle that was being sent off to the docking station. 20 years from now, in 2080, I hope that I can be a part of Planet 81-77 history.

Once the shuttle arrived at the docking station for the giant ship, I got off and put my brown hair up into a messy bun. My face was dirty from working on my dad’s car and my hands blistered from digging the irrigation systems down into the earth. I looked a mess, but I didn’t care. To go on this mission I needed to get dirty, anyway. Everyone around me were all my age or older, each with their own experiences and with their own reasons for going on this mission. I had to go to classes for three years in order for me to be going on this mission. Back when they announced Exploration 81-77, on my birthday no doubt, I knew it is where I would want to go. My dad would be proud eventually and I know what he said about my mom was false as well; she wanted me to go before she died.

“Everyone with last names that starts with A through J go to line Alpha, everyone with last names that starts with K through Z, go to line Beta,” an overweight lady said as she scooted around on one of those dumb Segways.

“The fuck’s gotten into her?” I asked an eager looking redheaded boy, no older than me.

“I don’t know, uh, what’s your name? Ag-uh…. Agatha. What an old name!” He said, cheery. He held out his clean and pale hand and I shook it.

“Yeah, my name is Agatha. Just call me Nova, though. I prefer it. Your name is… Excel? Like… The old Microsoft…. I’m not going to question it, it’s 2060, names like that are common I guess,” I replied as I eyed his shiny badge with not only his name but his seat number. Section Y, seat 34. This ship was huge.

“Word is, that old hag is a real cougar,” I heard a deep and familiar voice say. I immediately turned around and flung my arms up, my bag falling to the ground.

“Zolan, what the fuck are you doing here?” I asked the blue skinned alien, a big smile on my face. “I didn’t know you were in Exploration 81-77,” I said as I wrapped his waist up in a huge hug. Extra-terrestrial beings were common on Earth. They made themselves apparent 20 years ago, people still getting used to the fact.

“Hey, Aggie. I decided to join the program, I was bored and shit and I wanted to see how the ignorant humans react to everything if they’ve never been in space before. Nice to see you made it like you said you would,” he replied as he set me down back on my feet. My new redheaded friend, Zolan, and I all piled into our respected line, such fresh and hopeful faces. This was going to be one hell of a time, I thought to myself. Section Y, seats 34, 37, and 40. All three of us not too far off from each other.
♠ ♠ ♠
WOOO new story (fuck)
sci-fi-y
something I've been wanting to write for a while to be honest.