Homeward Bound

Henry & Ray

It is 1 pm and Henry is in an elevator.

He is tapping his feet impatiently. It is not long before the elevator door opens and he rushes to apartment 611. He struggles to find his keys and unlocks the door.

As he walks in, he hears the murmur of Anna’s voice offering Ray a toy. Ray refuses her mother’s affection and tosses it across the room, distracted by the noise coming from the end of the hall.

For a moment, the Donovan house is silent.


Henry has never been one for apologies.

He’s spent his entire life disregarding his own emotions, working to ensure that the people that he loves are well provided for.

He finally realizes something. A family is nothing without each of its members, no matter how dysfunctional its structure is. It is only natural for people to get upset with each other.

What is unnatural is avoidance and neglect. Isolating yourself so that you can’t be hurt.
A tear drops down his cheek.

“I’m so sorry.” He croaks, breaking the silence.

Anna rushes to comfort him. He is shocked. He doesn’t deserve this kind of welcome.

“Me too. I’m just happy you’re back.” She says, a smile on her face.

...


Ray looks into the eyes of her father and babbles delightfully. He is home.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the end :) For now this is a short story with chapters but they are much like drabbles.
Initially I had posted these in this form because I had to create a Digital Short Story for my English class and needed some feedback. In all actuality this is much like a one shot - the character transitions are too short and I feel that they may confuse people (like that last one line about Ray) for it to be considered a story with chapters. In my power point, I transition characters according to the plot and this indicates a new slide.

I may make some changes and format this so it is only in one chapter, but I have to brush up on bb-code to do so! Been gone too long.