What Goes Around,Comes Around

What Goes Around Comes Around

I didn’t know how I got into this situation.

“Listen to me, Ysabel—”

I could only stare blankly at the scene before me, my umbrella lying on the floor. Dropped and forgotten. The cold rain against my skin was nothing to the void and raw feelings washing up against the depth of my heart.

“I’m sor—”

“You can shut up now if “sorry” is your next word,” I cut him off bluntly. Was there any emotion behind my words? I didn’t know.

I didn’t know how I manage to find my voice either, but it was as if an automatic response. None of us moved as Matthew froze up with the girl in his arms. The rain was growing heavier, the droplets hitting onto me mercilessly, just like how the elusive blades cut into me. Sounds of cars speeding pass by faded into the background, shrouded by tapping sounds of rain hitting the concrete floor.

“That’s why Mat doesn’t like you, Ysabel,” the girl, Lydia, looked up to me and spoke boldly in contrast to her cowering form. Her voice was soft. Firm, perhaps, but like the gentle wind in the meadow. She was a classmate of mine, I recalled, but otherwise I knew little of her. “Men don’t like women who are too strong.”

“L-Lydia!” Matthew stuttered a little nervously, making my lips curl up into a sardonic angle. Acting or not, that was proof of her words. He glanced at me quickly and cautiously like I was about to do something to him—or was it to her?—something violent.

Silenced dawned upon us; only the background noise continued to offer any evidence of time.

“…I hope you’ll be happy together.”

“…huh?” Matthew muttered a meaningless sound, looking at me almost in a stupefied fashion. Or maybe he indeed was.

Giving the new couple a wry smile, I turned my heels and walked away from the scene, leaving my umbrella. I could vaguely hear Matthew shouting for me to stop and Lydia opposing, complaining to
Matthew and questioning what he was doing.

I ran.

I was never good at sports or any physical activities. My pants were the only thing I focused on as I made turns at the correct cross-sections and found my way home. My legs took me home as my mind focused on nothing but hurrying away, trying hard to wander and flee from the image of Matthew and Lydia lip-locking under a shared umbrella.

Fumbling with the keys and slamming the door behind me, I took deep, heavy breaths as I leaned my back against the wooden door. Grudgingly, I locked the door and kicked off my shoes, dragging myself into the bathroom after I dumped my purse onto the couch.

My reflection in the mirror was true as always, showing everything but lies. My dark locks clung onto my face, dull eyes examining the condition I was in; soaked to the bones. I chuckled humourlessly until tears were beginning to roll down my cheeks.

Finally.

Straightening myself from the leaning position against the counter, my hand dug into my pocket subconsciously as I pulled out a small box. It was going to be our six months anniversary soon, and I had wanted to celebrate with Matthew. That was why I went to the mall today; to get him a present. It was supposed to be a pair of matching pedants.

Matthew…Matthew…Matthew…

His name resonated in my head, the world spinning around me. I let out a shout and chuck the box at the wall. The box fell into the floor as my heart did.

Didn’t you know I wasn’t as strong as I appeared to be?

It suddenly felt so convenient to see a pair of scissors by the sink.

It was so wrong yet so right as I held them with a strong grip, hands steady but heart shaking.

Could I do it? Would I do it?

“…Ha, what idiocy…” I mumbled, slowly letting go of the scissors, my hand red and sore from
holding onto them so tightly.

Why would I sacrifice myself for something I didn’t do wrong? Why should I be paying the price?

“Stupid…” I stood up and cleaned myself, once more gathering my pride as Ysabel Powell.

==

“Aren’t you bored with repeating yourself, Matthew?” I looked at my ex-boyfriend coldly as I held onto Sean’s arm.

It had been a few months after our breakup, and I had finally gone through the phase of depression and walked out of my gloominess completely. Sean was another classmate of mine, but from a different class.

It turned out that Lydia was not as innocent as she had appeared, and her lies didn’t last long with Matthew. To make the story short, she cheated on Matthew.

This wasn’t the first time that Matthew came to me and tried to convince me to go back to him. I couldn’t help but to laugh the first time I heard that. But now, it was starting to get annoying.

I shook my head at Sean, who looked like he was going to get rid of Matthew himself. “I’ve told you countless times, Matthew, leave us alone. You’re testing our patience.”

The pained expression on his face brought nothing to my heart anymore. I knew that I was over him for good. Smiling up at Sean, I led him away from Matthew.

“Are you sure you don’t want me to handle this? I can—”

“I know, I know,” I laughed, leaning slightly onto Sean. “You should know I can deal with trivial things like this.”

He sighed but gave up on trying persuading me further. “I guess you’re right.” Sean stopped in his steps and gave me a hug. “I’m just glad that he was stupid enough to let you go. He got what he deserved.”

Even though I wasn’t totally sure of my feelings for Sean, I was willing to give it a chance just as he was willing to take it slow for me. It was a new beginning.

“Well, as they, what goes around comes around,” I smiled, returning the hug.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoyed reading this little piece. :) Aaaaaaaaaaaaand, I'm back to my homeword. X.x