Status: Active. Updated as much as possible

The American Spirit

Welcome to the End of Era

June 28th, 2015

"Happy birthday, Ryanne!"

The dark haired girl jolted awake, nearly whacking her head on the bunk above hers. She let out a startled laugh and looked at her friends as they gathered around her bunk. Chelsea sat in front of her with a small cupcake that had a single candle placed in it. A smile broke out across her face at the sight of her friends and family before her.

"Make a wish, Ryanne!" Chelsea grinned.

Ryanne closed her eyes tightly, thinking of the perfect wish. She was not surprised to find Andy's blue eyes smiling back at her. Her smile grew wider and she opened her eyes to blow the candle out, her family cheering and laughing. This was definitely the perfect way to spend her birthday. She wouldn't change it for anything.

As soon as they all dispersed, she clambered out of her bunk and prepared herself for the day. They were in San Antonio and she knew that Texas was for sure about to bring the heat. The last time she was here, she about melted. So, when Ashleigh came out in skinny jeans, the look she received was enough to have her cracking up.

"Wh-what's that look for?" She gasped out between chuckles.

"How are you wearing those?! It's as hot as hell outside!" She laughed, shaking her head and slipping on her gold high top Vans. "But, the outfit is really cute."

Ashleigh faux curtsied and giggled, placing her hat on her head. She couldn't lie, Ryanne looked adorable and only she could pull off a jersey dress like that. Ashleigh didn't have the confidence to pull off half of the things that Faye or Chelsea or Ryanne could. Yeah, the girls tell her she is beautiful, but she wishes she had the height of Chelsea, Faye's outgoing personality, or even Ryanne's perfect skin.

"Hey, CC is here for you, Ash. Let's go." Faye grinned, winking at her playfully when she said CC was there.

Ashleigh flushed bright red at knowing her crush was outside for her. He made her feel like she was perfect. He made her feel as though she didn't have to reach the standards of her bandmates. That she was amazing just the way she was. She hadn't felt that in a long time and she hoped he stayed around to keep making her feel that way.

****

"Happy birthday, 'Murica." Andy murmured into her ear when she finally got a chance to break away from everyone else. "You're getting old."

She grinned up at him. "What does that make you? Grandpa?" She giggled as his jaw dropped and he narrowed his eyes at her. "What? You are two years older than me. Turning twenty five in December?"

He pouted. "You're mean."

"You started it."

He smiled and pulled her into a hug, silently loving the fact that she was so much smaller than he was. He had no idea that she was grinning into his shirt, loving every minute of the embrace. When was the last time she felt like this? It had been such a long time, she had forgotten how nice it felt. She wasn't going to lie; he made her feel so amazing and carefree. And the last time she felt like this was when she and Nick first started dating. That had been so long ago.

"When's your set today?" Andy asked, pressing his face into her hair.

"One forty five. So I need to go get ready. It's already noon and I haven't done my make up or hair." She responded, pulling herself out of his embrace, only slightly. She pouted. "When do you go on?"

"Three forty on the Unicorn stage right after Set It Off."

She grinned. "I'll be able to watch both sets! I haven't gotten to see Set It Off play at all yet!"

He smiled at her enthusiasm and began walking with her to her bus for her to get ready. He would have said something along the lines of her not needing make up, but he knew she would just roll her eyes and blush, unable to take the compliment. So, he walked with her, talking about different bands' sets that she has enjoyed so far. Of course, she always asked the bands in advance if she could cover their song, grateful to them always agreeing. Today, she was very excited that Ariel from Icon For Hire has agreed to let her cover their newest song 'Now You Know.'

"I absolutely love their band and they have been one of my favorite acts so far." She gushed, giggling at his pouty face. "Of course, I love your sets, too."

"You better."

****

Ryanne grinned out at the audience, breathing heavily after prancing around stage. "Alright, San Antonio! Holy fuck, this is a beautiful crowd."

They cheered and she could feel her heart beat faster, her endorphins rising. She never felt more alive than she did performing. Looking around at all the people cheering and screaming her band's name. Her and her sisters onstage. This was where she belonged. This is where all four of them belonged.

"Alright, we're gonna do something awesome today. My awesome friend Ariel has agreed to come be a guest onstage with me today! As you know, Icon For Hire has a new song out and, as a band of nothing but females, it spoke to us on so many levels." She announced, running a hand through her wavy hair. "So, ladies and gents, here's Ariel!"

"Seems like everywhere I goo-oo, everybody wanna knoo-oo-ooww
What's it like to be a girl in the music world?"


She and Ariel danced around, making faces and rapping the whole song perfectly. She watched the crowd and their reactions, incredibly pleased with how they were taking the songs. A lot of the girls in the crowd were definitely very into the song, screaming along with large grins on their faces. When she looked to the side stage and saw Andy grinning at her.

She threw herself into the music, dancing along with Ariel and making sure the crowd kept interest. She was proud of herself for being able to keep up with Ariel when it came to the rapping. It had taken her all night to practice all the verses and to get them down perfectly.

"If the truth ain't pretty, will you all stay with me? Will you love me, love me ugly?"

"Thank you, San An-fucking-tonio!" She shouted, bowing next to Ariel. "Y'all have been the greatest!"

Ariel grinned, panting slightly, and raised the mike to her lips. "So, we're not completely done with this set yet. We all have a big surprise for this gorgeous girl beside me."

Chelsea scrambled out from behind her drum set to stand beside her sister. "It is with great pleasure to tell you guys that today is my big sister's birthday!"

The crowd went insane and heat flooded the dark haired singer. She could hear a slew of 'Happy birthday's and she grinned sheepishly. How she'd always dreamed of the crowd yelling for her and her band. Never did she ever imagine them loving her enough to wish her happy birthday or even stay to listen to her music.

This was the best birthday she could ever ask for.

**

That night, she and the girls and plenty of people from tour dressed up to go out for her birthday. She was excited to actually get dressed all girly and go out with all of her friends. It had been such a long time since she'd actually done anything for her birthday. Usually she and the girls would curl up in pajamas and watch movies all night, eating pizza and drinking wine.

And, as much as she would love to do that, she and the girls leave for Nashville early to go see her father. So, Andy and the girls decided to throw her a big party and take her to a club. Although, the dress they had put her in made her feel like she was going to prom, not just a club. But, she liked how it fit her and all the shiny stones that danced in the light.

"Are you ready? There's been a change of plans." Chelsea grinned.

Ryanne looked at her suspiciously, a little unnerved by her sister's mischievous grin.

"We're going to Warped Tour Prom!"
♠ ♠ ♠
San Antonio show

Prom night!

Dude, I'm so beyond late with this and I don't have any good excuses. The holidays were busy and frantic and stressful. All of those things make for writer's block for me. I have barely sat still long enough to take a day to myself. I'm probably running myself into the ground. But! Here's the birthday chapter.

And to make things worse, warped tour is coming up, so I'm way far behind.