‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Word in Progress - Will try to update once to twice a week

Flying High

17. Great Idea

17. Great Idea

(Max’s POV)

The team was playing well and Breeze and I had gotten closer. January passed quickly.

Claude and I were home with the girls – they had decided we needed a couple’s dinner. I could hear soft chatter coming from the kitchen as the NHL network played on the T.V.

“Ready for the break?” Claude and I had been discussing possible vacation spots.
I give him a smirk, “I’m looking forward to some beach time.”

“Is Breeze going with you?” Claude asks.
“As far as I know,” I say before taking the last sip of my beer, “Want another?” I say, holding up the empty bottle.

Claude nods as I stand.

I walk into the kitchen, “Smells delicious, ladies,” I say, giving Breeze a peck on the cheek.
“Thanks Maxime, it should be ready soon,” Cass says.
“Did you need something?” Breeze asks with a questioning look.
I hold up the empty bottles, “Refill.”

I reach into the fridge to grab two bottles when Claude yells, “Max!” causing me to jump and hit my head on the door, “Merde…” I grumble.
I walk back into the living room, “What’s wrong?” Cassidy and Breeze are right behind me.
“You need to see this,” Claude says as he rewinds the station.”

A young reporter is standing outside of the United Center.
“Turn that up,” I say, before sinking into the sofa.

“A press conference was held today at the United Center with Regards to Jonathan Toews and Nicole Green. Now, rumors have been circulating for months about a possible relationship between the two players; and now we may finally be getting some answers.”

The screen cuts to video taken during the conference; Coach Q speaks first:
“Good morning, everyone. Hope you are doing well. We all know what this conference is for so let’s get this show on the road,” Coach Q pauses, “Many have been wondering if having a female on the team would affect the team dynamic. I would like to let everyone know that the team is playing better than ever and that Nicole has brought a new level of grit to the room – our stats are proof enough.
Rumors have been circulating for a while now about the chemistry of the locker room; particularly with regards to Johnny and Nicole’s relationship outside of these walls. I want everyone to know and understand that the Blackhawk organization, the Staff, Coaches, and team all support them, both as players and as a couple.”

“First Question,” a slim, middle aged woman called, “Coach are there any concerns about potential difficulties on the ice?”

“Such as?”

The woman rephrased her question, “Couple’s fight; is there any chance of a disagreement spilling over onto the ice?”

Coach Q cleared his throat, “Players are good at checking their emotions at the door – you see this when friends on other teams come into town; Johnny and Nicole have been doing just this for several months now and have had no problem.”

The next question came from a dark haired guy that looked like he was right out of college, “How long have the two of you been in a relationship?”

“Early October; so nearly four months,” Nicole answer; a smile tug at the corner of Toews’ mouth.
“Four months seem like a short amount of time – why are you being so open about your relationship so early on?” an older gentleman asks.

Johnny answers this one, “Nicole and I aren’t trying to hide our relationship – we never had. You could pull up a number of fan sites and see photos of the two of us out on dates or simply together; it’s how we’ve been living and how we will continue to live.”

“Jonathan,” the young guy calls out, “Rumor has it, you will be one of the captains during the All Star Break – have you thought about who will be your team mates?”

A chuckle goes through the room; both on screen and off.

“Oh, wow, um….I’m not sure. That’s a decision that I will have to make with the alternate captains if I’m lucky enough to be chosen as a captain,” Johnny answers, slightly flustered.
“He’ll choose the best player,” Nicole say with a wink.

The video ends, cutting back to the reporter, “While it is clear that the Blackhawk’s organization supports the decision of its two top players; it is unclear how teams around the league or fans will react to the controversial news – back to you.”

“Wow,” Claude broke the silence that had formed.
“I know,” Cass says, “Her dress was killer.”

Breeze giggles next to me and I give Cassidy a small smile. The timer sounds, pulling the girls back to the kitchen.

Claude looks at me, “What is going on in that mind of your?”
“I’m happy for them; and I hope that the league will support them,” I answer honestly.
Claude gives me his missing tooth smile, “Well, we will support them too if that is what you want,” he pauses before continuing, “All-Star week will be hell for the poor bastard if he doesn’t pick her.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Breeze’s POV)

(A Few Days Later)

Max and I both had an off day. We had stayed home, my home, for the day. I was currently working on putting a portfolio together of Danny’s family – he had asked for a photo session with his boys and I had been more than happy to do the shoot.

An idea popped into my mind, causing me to pause my current work.

I stood from my desk and walked into the living room; Max was sitting on the sectional, watching the network. I sunk into the cushions next to him.

“Hey, Beautiful,” Max mumbled into my hairline.

I snuggle into his side, relishing the feel of his strong arms around me.

“Something on your mind?” he questions.
“Move in,” I breathe out.
I feel Max’s breath stutter, “What was that?”

I look up, meeting the dark blue irises, “Move in with me; I mean, you practically live here already. Most of your stuff is here…” my rambling is cut off as his lips crash against mine.

Max pulls me in for a bone crushing hug and lets out a hearty chuckle, “Yes, mon belle.”