‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Word in Progress - Will try to update once to twice a week

Flying High

5. Mon Amour

5. Mon Amour

(Regular POV)

After a disappointing loss, the team found themselves back in Philly. Max, Steve, Jakub, and Claude made their way home and to their respective beds.
Max was nearly asleep when his door opened.

“Max? You awake?” Cassidy was standing in the door way; waiting for him to answer.
Max rolled over and looked at the young woman, “Come in, amoureux (Sweetheart).”

Cassidy made her way around the pile of clothes that littered the bedroom and sat of the edge, looking at Max – or more studying.

“Are you okay?” Cassidy tentatively asked.
Max gave her a confused look, “Yes why?”

“Claude said you saw an old….friend….in Chicago. I wanted to see if you were okay….I know it’s not my business but if you want to talk about her without the guys chirping you; you could talk to me,” Cassidy looked away as if embarrassed but Max couldn’t tell in the low lighting.

Max let out a low chuckle, “Come with me.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Max’s POV)

I lead Cassidy to the roof. There was a deck and several lounges that the guys had installed. We were the only people in the building who could access the area.

Cassidy sat next to me and turned to face me, “Sooooo…..”
“So impatient,” I joke, “Nicole, her name is Nicole, and we dated when I was in Pittsburgh.”
“What happened?” Cassidy asked; I could see her curiosity written on her face.

I let out a sigh, “I was stupid. I cheated and she left me; broke my heart but I deserved it,” my hand rubs my chin, “She also punched me but I deserved that too. Anyway, she started dating someone else, someone we were both close too.”

I paused unsure of how much to divulge, “I know I messed up but I truly loved her. And when she lost the baby….It messed us both up….I believe that is why she cheated on the mutual friend,” No matter what I wasn’t going to give Sidney away, “So she moved to Chicago for work over the summer. She cut off all contact with everyone and only recently started talking to us again.”

I finally looked at Cassidy. She seems to be taking the information and processing it. I know I’ve told her a lot – more than I’ve told the guys even.

“So to recap – You meet the love of your life, screw it up, she dates someone else, but was pregnant with your baby, loses baby, cheats on the new guy, and moves half way across the country. Did I cover everything?” Cassidy asks.

“Yeah, pretty much,” I shrug, not sure what to say next.
I feel Cassidy wrap her arms around my waist which surprises me, “I’m sorry that happened to both of you. But I’m glad you two are working it out.”

“We will be friends. That is how it must be; and I’m happy to have even that. I think you would like Nicole,” I say before the words can be stopped.

Cassidy pulls back, “Does she know about me?”
I feel my face flush, “No, you didn’t come up.”

Cassidy laughed, “It’s fine Max. I was just curious. I have known Claude for several years and some of his closest friends have never met me.”

“Why not?” I want to kick myself.

“They would think something else was going on when it isn’t. Don’t get me wrong, I love Claude, he’s a great guy, but he’s more of a brother figure,” Cassidy sighs and looks toward the skyline; the sun is just starting to set.

We sit in silence; Cassidy leans against me as we watch the sun sink below the horizon.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Cassidy’s POV)

To say I’m shocked by Max’s honesty would be an understatement. I mean, is there anything more than Shock? Comatose maybe; but I’m happy too that he was comfortable enough to open up to me. Max walked me back to my apartment before going to his. The guys were tired from the game and needed to rest.

I had just settled in for a movie marathon when my phone chimed.

ROO>> can’t sleep. Need cuddle buddy
CASS>> Max just got back. Go use him
ROO>> He smells
CASS>> yeah, nice
ROO>> you’re a better option
CASS>> just started watching Pearl Harbor….the Green Mile is next

I didn’t receive an immediate answer so I figured he fell asleep. The knock at my door suggested otherwise.

“Is there room for one more?” Clause’s playful smile reflected in my own.
“Come on in Roo,” I opened my door to allow him in.

I takes my place on the couch and stretches out, “Comfy?” I ask.
“I’ll be better when you join me,” Claude pats the area beside him; I’m the little spoon as I lay down also.

We watch almost an hour of the movie - Ben Affleck (Capt. Rafe McCawley) has been killed and Josh Hartnett (Capt. Danny Walker) was falling in love with Kate Beckinsale (Nurse Lt. Evelyn Johnson)

“Why do you like this movie so much?” Claude asks.
“It’s a great movie,” I defend; we have the same argument every time I watch it.

“It’s about a guy impregnating his dead best friend’s girl. Only he’s not dead and the friend dies on a secret mission and the non-dead best friend takes care of the dude’s baby. Who does that?” Claude asks, brushing his hand across my rib cage.

“No!” I sit up and face the red head, “It’s about finding love during an impossible time under impossible circumstances. Sure, Evelyn fell for Rafe first; but when he was listed as KIA, she and Danny found each other. They helped each other during a hard time."

"And even after Rafe came back and found out about Danny and Evelyn, he wanted to keep Danny in his life and was willing to forgive him. Then Danny dies and Rafe takes care of Danny’s child – the way that Danny took care of him as kids. It’s about true love and friendship.”

I exhale after my rant. Claude is smirking at me, he loves to rile me up.

“Damn you’re beautiful,” Claude’s fingers brush my face.
“Claude,” I say as a warning; he pulls back.

“Why won’t you date me, Mon amour?” I can see the hurt in his eyes.
“I’m not your love, Claude. And you know why,” I say giving him a pointed look.

“But I would give the lifestyle up for you, Cassidy. The girls, the parties, they mean nothing in comparison to you. If you would give me that chance,” Claude’s eyes plead with me; I can feel the ache in my chest that says to let him; but my mind says no.

“Claude, I’m sorry, but I can’t right now,” he turns from me and lets out a deep sigh.
“Then when?”

I look at the man next to me, “Maybe in time.”

He meets my gaze, “vous avez mon cœur. Je vais attendre pour toujours, mon amour.” (You have my heart. I will wait forever, my love)
♠ ♠ ♠
All comments and suggestions are welcomed!

Let me know what you think!