‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Word in Progress - Will try to update once to twice a week

Flying High

7. Exactly On Time

7. Exactly On Time

(Max’s POV)

Sitting with Wayne, Jake, and Steve was always eventful; sitting with them while Claude paced the room in frustration as he tried, and failed, to calm his nerves was downright hilarious.

“Dude, seriously, you need to chill,” Wayne was trying to be supportive but the smile on his face hinted at the laughter he was hiding.

“Yeah man, it’ll be okay,” Steve tried to reassure Claude also as Jakub nodded in agreement.

Claude paused long enough to look at the four of us, “I can’t help it. Do you guys know how long I’ve been trying to get Cass to agree to go to dinner with me?”

After Cassidy and I returned from our outing, she marched into our shared apartment and asked Claude to dinner. Unfortunately, the plan had to be pushed back several weeks because of an extended road trip. Now the day was here and Claude was a nervous wreck.

I looked at my watch and gave Claude a smile, “Well, if you walk across the hall now, you will be exactly on time.”
Claude moved to the door, giving us a glare as our laughter followed him into the hall.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Max’s POV)

The next day was an optional practice. I was gliding on the ice, taking shots when a flash of red caught my attention. Sitting in the stands was Cassidy. She smile and waved when she saw me staring and I waved back as I skated over.

“Hey beautiful. How did last night go?” I ask her as I lean over the boards; knowing Claude didn’t get in until two and he skipped out on practice.

A blush creeps up her neck and I chuckle, “It went well,” she says, “Claude was the perfect gentleman all night.”

I laugh, “I expected that much.”

One of the coaches calls me back, “Gotta run,” I say, giving her my signature smile.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Max’s POV)

Walking back into the apartment, I spot Claude sitting on the couch. I take my bags to my room before returning to the living room.

I sit next to Claude, “Soo……How’d it go?”
I goofy smile breaks across his features, “It was great man. We had a blast.”
“That’s great. I’m happy for you,” I say as his phone chimes.

The goofy look gets worse, “I gotta take this.”
“Tell Cassidy hello for me,” I call after him; he simply waves as he walks away.

I watch another hour of T.V. when my phone chimes. A smile crosses my face when I see who it’s from

NICOLE>> Hey Super Star! Haven’t heard from you in a while and wanted to make sure you were still alive ;)
SUPERSTAR>> Mon Belle! I’m am still surviving. What are you up too?
NICOLE>> gearing up for the Bruins. Cara is in town so we will be catching up the next couple of days.
SUPERSTAR>> good luck and watch out for Lucic. Is Cara still mad at me?
NICOLE>> Thanks! Ummm….I’m not sure……
SUPERSTAR>> dun dun duuuunnnnnn……..Try and put in a good word for me? (Puppy Eyes)
NICOLE>> Lol easy with those things Max…I’ll see what I can do but I gotta run. Talk to you soon?
SUPERSTAR>> of course, Mon Belle Fille. Good luck again

I flip to the hockey channel so I can watch the game. Nicole and her Hawks have just taken the ice when Steve, Jakub, and Wayne walk in the door.

“Good, we didn’t miss anything,” Wayne says as he hops over the back of the couch.
Steve takes one of the recliners, “We figured you would be watching.”

“Yeah, I just talked to Nic actually,” I say, breaking my gaze from the system.
Jakub gives me a look, “This a habit?”

“No,” I answer, “Just wishing a friend good luck is all.”
Wayne snorts, “Yeah…A close ‘Friend’. Right?”

I look at the three men, “Yes. A very close friend that I respect and care for. I do the same for the guys in Pitt too.”

“Alright dude, chill out,” Wayne holds his hands up in defense, “We’re just busting you.”

I let out a small chuckle, “It’s cool guys. Just want to make sure you know that I will defend Nicole regardless of team loyalty. She’s had to work harder than all of us put together to get to where she is today.”

Steve speaks up,” We got you man.” The other two nod their agreement and the national anthem catches our attention and draws us back to the screen.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Max’s POV)

I walk into the coffee shop the next morning bleary eyed; the game ran into overtime and ended in a shootout. Walking up to the counter, I ordered a plain, black coffee and moved to the end to wait for my order. The Batista hands me my order and I turn to leave but a smaller frame hits my arm, spilling coffee down the front of my shirt.

“Oh God! I’m so sorry!” I look at my shirt before meeting the eyes of the voices owner.

Baby blues behind black framed glasses are staring back, “Are you okay? Let me pay for another,” the woman is scrambling in her purse for a moment before she pulls out a pack of tissue and her wallet.

“No, I’m fine. I can order another,” the words come from my mouth but I don’t register that I said them.

“Are you sure? I feel terrible; and I probably ruined your shirt,” she says, motioning to the Flyers logo on the front that now has dark brown coloring.

I laugh, “Don’t worry about it, really. I can get another. I’m Max, by the way,” I say, offering my hand.
The woman flushes, “Oh, sorry. I’m Breeze Jones. Nice to meet you Max.”

The woman, Breeze, takes my hand briefly before glancing at her watch.

“Not trying to be rude, but I’m late for a very important meeting. Are you sure I can’t pay you back?” Breeze’s baby blues meet my own.

“It is fine, promise,” I say.

Breeze gives me a dazzling smile before moving toward the door. She stops briefly and looks back. I haven’t moved as she walks out the door. It’s not until I’m half way home do I realize that I failed to get her number. I curse myself and hope that we will run into each other again.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Breeze’s POV)

“Right this way, Ms. Jones,” the receptionist leads me down a stark hallway to a conference room.

I had just moved to Philly from Nashville in hopes of expanding my portfolio. I was a photographer and had done several shoots for small newspapers and a few magazines, but a good colleague had told me about an opening at her job and had shown the boss some of my work. He had called me and offered an interview – I jumped at the chance.

“Ah, Ms. Jones, it’s a pleasure to finally meet you. I’m John Gill, this is Matt Harper and Rebecca Smith. Natalee has spoken highly of you and your work is wonderful.”

“Thank you sir. I’m excited for this opportunity but I must be frank; I know nothing about hockey,” I say to the group in front of me.

“That is perfectly fine, Ms. Jones,” Rebecca chimes in,” Your job will be to travel with the team and capture them on film. Both professional shots and candid ones. We want the fans to have a better understanding of how the team functions…behind closed doors…so to speak. Of course the photos need to be tasteful.”

“Of course,” I agree,” the men represent the franchise and the city.”

The group smile and nod in agreement.

“Well Ms. Jones, we would like to offer you the position. Can you start on Monday?”

I thought it over briefly, Monday gave me the weekend to get settled,” of course. That would be perfect.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey Guys! I'm sorry that I have been MIA. Finals are stressing me out and I haven't been able to write like I want.

What do you guys think of my newest addition?
Will Breeze be a good fit?
Max seems to be intrigued but is she?

as always all comments and suggestions are welcomed!
Let me know what you think!