Status: On-going

The Last Goodbye

Chapter 1

“Are you sure you really really want to do this?” Sebastian questioned as we stood at the airport waiting for my parents to come pick us up.

While my head screamed no and urged me to get on the next plane back Denmark, I put on a fake smile and answered my best friend.

“Yes I’m sure. I need to close this chapter in my life and I can’t do that if I’m constantly running away” I explained as he shook his head.

“Listen sister, this is the one time in history where everyone will forgive you if you decide not to do this. I mean acting as a maid of honour at your sister’s wedding as she marries the man you…”

“SEBASTIAN PLEASE” I snapped before he could carry on.

He looked away sheepishly as the guilt overtook me and I forced myself to apologise to him.

“Seb look at me please?” I begged as he turned back and looked at me in mock anger.

“Yes Daniela Gabriella Margot” he answered annoyingly as he used my full name. I huffed before dismissing his sentence and continued with what I wanted to say.

“I just wanted to say I’m sorry. My reaction was immature and I know that you are trying to protect me but I need to do this. No matter how much it hurts. Do you understand that and can you support me?” I asked as he nodded dramatically.

“Ohkay fine but you should know you are not allowed to judge me for what I do over the next seven days” he bargained as I nodded my head and gave him a hug.

I was in the middle of the hug as I heard my mother scream, indicating she has finally found me in this huge airport.

I turned to look at the direction my mother was walking in and sighed, as I saw my poor father walking faithfully behind her. I bit my lip as I watched her push people out of the way, so she could get closer to me.

“Seb I need one more tiny favour” I began as I turned to him as he nodded eagerly as he watched with wide eyes as my mother approached us. “I need you to save up enough money so you can bail me from jail for when I do eventually murder my mother” I admitted as she came closer to me and I prepared for what would be a rather suffocating 7 days back in Dortmund.

***

“Oh this is the yellow dress you will be wearing. Isn’t it pretty?” my mother explained as she showed me the bridesmaid dress my sister had chosen for me.

“It’s pretty mom. I’m pretty sure the Norwich City players are the only other people that can pull of that shade of yellow” I answered sarcastically but she didn’t seem to get it as she carried on talking.

“It’s so lovely dear. Your sister thought that yellow would be the perfect colour for you because of your love for Borussia. Isn’t that so thoughtful of her? To factor in your likes on the biggest day of her life?” my mother asked in a sweet tone as she finally turned to look at me.

I didn’t reply to her question because I knew what she was trying to do. She was trying to heal the rift that had developed between my sister and I since…the incident. Some how I doubt I could ever get over it. I may be here to ‘support’ her but I’m only doing it because my dad had begged me to show up so he’d have someone to talk too.

In the year and a half I had moved away from Germany, I kept contact with my family to a minimum because I didn’t need to know how she was doing, or how happy she was with him. It was for the best that I stayed away. Anyway, I had some news of my own to share with my family before I went back to Denmark and I would hopefully never had to see some people again.

“Daniela, promise me that you and your sister will try to resolve things this week please”

“Mom I would think the fact that I’ve shown up for her wedding would be a sign that we have sorted out our differences” I lied as my mother beamed.

“Oh that’s wonderful dear” she smiled as she turned to hug me. I couldn’t ruin her moment as I let her believe things between the two of us were fine.

On such a beautiful occasion, I couldn’t ruin it with my feelings especially not give my sister the satisfaction of knowing that she could still affect my feelings.

“Are you expecting someone?” I questioned my mother as she fussed around the kitchen fixing up dishes.

“Your sister and Marco are having dinner with us tonight” she smiled before quickly setting up the place settings at the table.

I gulped as I realised that after 19 months of trying to forget him, I would finally be seeing Marco Reus, my ex boyfriend and my sister’s fiancée.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued…