Status: On-going

The Last Goodbye

Chapter 3: Don’t tell me…

“Are you wearing track pants?” I asked as I looked on in horror at the outfit Sebastian had worn to accompany me as I went to go check on Melisa’s wedding cake.

Checking the cake was the last thing I wanted to do but after sitting through a fifteen-minute speech from my mother about how important it was to support her during this stressful time, I gave in and decided to take the long route so I didn’t really have to get involved with any of the planning.

“How many times must I tell you that I hate going back home?” Sebastian answered as he adjusted the material. “My parents make me eat carbs and before I know it, I’m three tubs deep into Ben ‘n Jerrys and watching Pride and Prejudice…and I mean all the remakes” he explained as I tried to hold in the laughter.

Seb had issues around saying no to his parents mainly due to him being an only child and them having always supported him through everything and never judged him for who he was.

“I’m sorry baby. I know that the carbs must have been so torturous for you. I can only imagine the horror you had to go through” I continued to tease as we walked into the shop.

We both continued to discuss our first night back home as the baker went to the back to fetch the layers of cake that she had completed.

The cake was vanilla flavoured with a whole bunch of edible flowers decorated around it to make look pretty.

“Oh that’s… interesting” Seb judged as the baker offered us a sample of what it tasted like.

I had only taken a small bite before I politely declined it and bit my tongue as I tried not to make her feel bad for what she had created.

“I know it’s bad” she commented before I could even give her my assessment.

“Well then why did you bake it honey?” Seb questioned as he gave her his full attention by asking her to take a seat next to him.

“It’s because that’s what she wanted. She wanted almond nuts in it and vanilla and flowers and sweets. I told her it’s impossible to put all those ingredients together and have it taste good but she wouldn’t believe me. Her mother kept pushing me to do what made her happy because, in her words, the bride knows best. So I just did what she asked” the baker rambled as we both nodded in understanding.

“And what did Marco want?” I asked as Seb gave me a curios look.

“Who is Marco?” the baker asked in confusion.

“Marco, her fiancée” I answered as she shook her head.

“I’ve never met him. All the meetings and consultations have been between me and her and sometimes her mother” she explained as both me and Seb exchanged glances.

***

“I know what you are thinking but maybe he just doesn’t care about such things. He could just have given her free reign to so what ever she wants” Seb explained as we walked around the mall, following the meeting with the baker.

I just shrugged in response as I continued to look forward.

“I don’t care what is happening between the two of them. I’m over him and she can have him”

“I’m pretty sure she already does” Seb stated as I quickly turned to him and give him a death glare. “What it’s true? If you don’t believe me just turn around and see for yourself” he challenged as I turned around in confusion.

As I looked towards the jewellery store right in front of us, I saw a smiling Melisa and Marco walking out of the store. She was looking down at a shiny bracelet that, he must have obviously bought for her, while he just looked bored as he carried a few bags.

I quickly turned back to Sebastian as I realised this was the last place I wanted to be.

“Seb lets leave…NOW” I whispered as I took his hand and started walking away. We didn’t get far as my ears began to ring as my sister’s shrill voice started calling my name. “Let’s pretend we don’t hear her” I insisted as we continued to walk while Seb kept looking behind him to see where the happy couple are.

All I heard was Seb cuss before someone grabbed my shoulder, forcing me to stop and turn around and look at them.

A panting Marco was looking back at me as a flustered Melisa was walking behind him.

Marco opened his mouth to say something but Melisa beat him to the punch as she spoke first.

“OMG D it’s so lovely to see you. I’m so glad that you put aside your feelings of hurt and humiliation to be here for me on my big day” she said before hugging me. I just kept my arms to my side as I tried not to answer back to that jibe about her hurting me.

Once she was done hugging me she quickly grabbed onto Marco’s hand as we all stood there awkwardly.

“Uhhmmm….so Melisa, nervous? I mean only 6 more days to go” Seb spoke as he tried to ease the tension.

Mel smiled at Marco before answering.

“Not at all, I’m marrying the man of my dreams, what more could I ask for?”

Seb gave her a forced smile before shrugging his shoulders as he realised there was nothing more he could ask.

“Well that’s nice but uhm I think we should leave. We’ve had a loooong day” I finally spoke as I grabbed Seb’s hand but Marco speaking up stopped me in my tracks.

“Daniela, are you coming with anyone to the wedding?” he asked as me and Seb exchanged glances.

“Uhm no….”

“OMG Then I have the perfect person for you” Melisa screeched as I dug my nails into my palms.

“Actually no Mel I don’t….”

“Its Mats” she stated before I could finish my sentence.

At that utterance, everyone went silent as a smirk overtook her lips.

When Marco and I were a couple we always used to joke that if there was one person I was allowed to leave him for, it was Mats because he was so dreamy and down to earth. Back then, it was meant as a joke but looking at it now, in my rather single status, a date with a certain Mr Hummels didn’t sound so bad.

“Uhm you know what?” I smiled as I glanced at Seb. “I’d love to go to the wedding with him” I ended as my best friends shook his head but smirked back at me.

“Oh fantastic” Mel smiled while clapping her hands excitedly. “You know what? Why don’t you have dinner with us tomorrow night so you guys can…catch-up?” Melisa offered as my smile faltered a little.

As much as I wanted to move on with my life and have the eye-candy that was Mats Hummels on my arm for the wedding, the thought of spending any sort of time with the soon to be Mr and Mrs Marco Reus didn’t count as my idea of fun.

“Mel I’m sure Dani has better things to do with her time than spend it with us” Marco tried to dismiss me, as I felt insulted at his comment.

“Uhm actually no Marco, your wrong. I would love to have dinner with you guys. Tell Mats to pick me up at seven” I stated before turning to Seb and walking away.

As I continued to walk away, I couldn’t help but wonder what I had gotten myself into.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued…