Status: On-going

The Last Goodbye

Chapter 4: I don’t like this at all

I watched as Daniela and Mats laughed while making their way towards the table we had reserved.

Melisa was rambling on about something to do with her wedding dress as well as the outfits her bridesmaids would be wearing, but I wasn’t really paying attention as I took in the brunette girl who was wearing jeans, sneakers and a Man United top to the fanciest restaurant in all of Dortmund.

People had to wait months to get into this place, and would be thrown out if they were wearing the wrong outfit, but she didn’t seem to care as she wore what she was comfortable in.

“Oh my gosh. Only my sister would show up to a place like this dressed like…that” Melisa snarled as my attention gravitated back to her.

I wasn’t surprised that she had made that comment. All she had ever done in the time we had been together is make snide comments about her younger sister. Which I found quite odd consider Daniela have never uttered a bad word about her, not even after…what happened.

“I think you should just embrace that your sister is not and will never be a Dolce and Gabbana kind of girl” I attempted to console her as I stood up to greet them.

That’s one of the things I love about her.

I turned to give Mats a pat on the back, which he returned, before trying to hug Dani but she had already decided to sit down and limited her greetings to both me and Melisa to a wave of her hand.

Can’t say I blame her for that.

“So you two looked rather chummy while walking in” Mel began as the waitress took our orders. Both Mats and Dani shrugged as they took sips of their drinks. “Oh guys don’t be modest. Everyone could see the chemistry between the two of you. I have a feeling I’ve created the perfect match”

“If we agreed with you would it easy your conscience?” Dani snapped at her sister’s comment.

Melisa said nothing as she only glared back at her sister before gripping my hand to emphasise the reason there was a rift between the two sisters.

I opened my mouth to say something but Mats beat me to it.

“Uhm just between me and you Dani” he began as he turned to look at her. “I’m kinda glad that you and Marco didn’t end up together because…I’ve always kind of had a thing for you” he blushed as her cheeks turned red.

I wanted to reach across the table and punch him but I kept still, hoping her response would be enough to push him off.

“Uhm wow… I di-didn’t know” she stammered in the hope, I hoped, of letting him down gently. “Had you said something earlier we could have saved ourselves a whole lot of heart ache” she teased but I knew she didn’t just mean it as a joke.

When we had first started, I use to take her to training and all she’d ever do was rave about how awesome he was. We had even joked that if we were ever to break up or things didn’t work out she could always console herself in his arms.

Little did I know that would come back to bite me.

“See this is perfect” Melisa interjected as Daniela was about to say something.

She shrugged that interruption off as Melisa began to speak again.

“Now Mats I know you mentioned how things between you and Cathy are a pretty much over, I was wondering if you haven’t asked anyone already maybe you’d like to take my sister to the wedding. It could be you guys’ first official date?” Melisa offered as both Dani and I looked on in horror.

“I don’t think that’s a…”

“I can ask for my own dates” Dani interrupted as I started to find an out for her. “And anyway Mats” she said as she turned to look at the defender “I was gonna ask you after diner if you would do me the pleasure of accompanying me. I wanted you to see my lack of social skills before you being forced to tag along with me” she teased as all three of them laughed.

Mats moved his arm forward to tuck a piece of stray hair behind her ear before giving a sickly sweet smile and answering her question.

“First of all you can’t call it being forced when I would gladly spend an afternoon hanging out with you. And after that we’ll give whatever we are doing an appropriate name when the time comes” he smirked as she blushed again.

“Ok” she giggled before turning back to her drink.

I couldn’t hold back the horrified look on my face at her reaction but thankfully the waitress arrived back with our meals before I could do some real damage to Mats pretty face.

What the fuck is wrong with him trying to make a move on her? Especially since, he knows how I feel – felt for her?

***

As the desert finally made its way to the table, I couldn’t help but keep glancing over at Marco.

Ever since Mats had accepted my invitation he had been standoffish towards everyone at the table, including his devoted fiancée.

He never laughed at the jokes, nor did he move his face when Melisa tried to give him a kiss.

One thing he did do though was glare at me and it was starting to make me uncomfortable but I wasn’t about to raise it with him because for once me and my sister where getting along.

Even if she was sitting opposite me, touching and flirting with the man, I am in- was in love with.

Minus that fact, from the outside, we looked like any normal family and honestly, that’s how I wanted it to stay.

There was no point in me being angry anymore with the two of them. Her wedding was in four days and there was nothing and no-one who could stop it. Whatever feelings I had for Marco didn’t matter now because he had made his choice and it wasn’t me.

The sooner I realised that fact the quicker I would completely move on from him and more importantly move away from here.

“Dani, you ready to go?” Mats asked he took money out of his wallet in order to settle the bill.

I smiled politely at him before shaking my head no.

“Uhm actually Mats you can go ahead. I need to speak to Melisa…privately” I added as I turned to Marco.

Both men and Melisa exchanged glances at me before questioning why I wanted to speak to her alone. I didn’t say anything as I told them it would be fine, while reassuring Marco that I’d have her home in a few hours.

It hurt to admit that the two of them shared a home but eventually I would have to become comfortable with that concept because what choice did I really have.

“Dani are you sure?” Mats questioned again and I nodded my head.

“Yes I am. Please guys just leave. Me and my sister have some catching up to do” I admitted as I looked her dead in the eye.

I could tell that she was panicking but there was no need too. After tonight, the competition between my sister and me would finally be over. She would find closure in knowing that I’m done competing with her and everything that she has fought so hard for over the last 18 months was finally hers.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued…