Status: On-going

The Last Goodbye

Chapter 6: Hey buddy

I could feel the anger rise within me as Mats flirted with yet another girl who had asked him for an autograph.

Wasn’t this the same man who days ago was talking about much he liked Daniela? Now what was he doing trying to smooze other girls.

“Sorry Marco, this kinnda happens all the time”

“Girls throwing themselves at you? You have a rough life!” I snapped as he looked taken aback. “Sorry Mats I didn’t mean to snap. I guess I’m just surprised that you are flirting with other girls after what you said about Dani the other day” I began as he raised an eyebrow.

“Why are you being so protective? I’m just being friendly towards my fans and whatever my feelings for Dani are is none of your business” he fired back as I glared at him.

“It is my business when it comes to the woman I lov… when it comes to my family” I retracted.

Mats looked me in the eye before laughing.

“Oh it’s funny how you start pretending you care for her now. When you slept with her sister, you didn’t seem to have any regard for her feelings” he mocked as I clenched my fists ready to punch him but was interrupted by the voice of someone I wasn’t expecting to see today.

“Hey Marco.. Mats” Daniela smiled as she looked at us both.

Mats and I both seemed to calm down at her greeting as we said hello back.

“Hey D, I wasn’t expecting to see you here” Mats explained as he pulled up a chair for her to sit.

“Yeah I was walking around the city and I saw you two here so I thought id come over and say hi” she smiled but didn’t look at me.

“Well hello there” Mats smirked as he drew a line down her arm.

I wanted so badly to punch him but said nothing as the two of them made small talk as if I wasn’t there.

“Mhmhmhmh” I began as I cleared my throat. “I think I should just leave you two alone” I said as I stood up from my chair but Daniela reached her hand over to cover mine to stop me from moving.

“Uhm actually Marco I need to speak to you. Can you stay a bit longer?” she pleaded and I nodded a little too eagerly than I intended too.

Mats looked on with slight disgust but shrugged it off as he looked back at her and gave a fake smile.

“Should I order us something to eat?” he offered but Dani just shook her head no.

“Uhm Mats, I know that the two of you are here together but is it possible for Marco and I to be left alone? I need to speak to him in private” she explained as I smirked at him.

I watched his jaw tense, and I wanted to laugh because even after all of this she still wanted to be around me. However, my joy was short lived as he put his hands behind her shoulder and gave her a peek on the cheek.

“I don’t mind at all. You and I have a lot of time to hang out and goodness knows when Marco will ever see you again?” he tried to say in a joking manner - but I knew he meant it as a jab to me.

“Yeah. I’ll call you later. Thanks Mats” she said as he stood up and walked away.

Right on cue a waiter came to take our orders but with me keen on hearing on what she had to say, we both declined on ordering anything.

“Should I be worried about the topic of this conversation?” I teased, as she shook her head no.

“I just wanted to clear the air between us before you got married” she began as I bit the inside of my cheek.

“Look Dani when I cheated…” I began but she didn’t let me continue.

“I don’t want to talk about that. Us – me and you – what happened is in the past. I wanted to let you know that. I’ve forgiven you and I want you to know that I wish you and Melisa nothing but the best for the future” she explained as she left me speechless. “I know you probably thinking I’ve gone crazy but I realised that me being angry with the two of you doesn’t change anything. You and her are together now and I have to accept that. I have and I have moved on so I just wanted to let you know that” she finished off with a small smile.

“Uhm…wow… I really wasn’t expecting that. Is should technically be the one apologising and yet here you are offering it to me” I admitted as she shook her hand. “Look Dani” I began as stretched my hand to touch hers that was on the table. She however resisted my touch as she moved her hand away so it lay on her lap. “Sorry I shouldn't have done that” I spoke again as she nodded. “I just wanted to say thank you for this. For being ok with all of this…” I said – referring to the chaos I had created between the sisters. “…and I hope that one day, in the near future, we can get to being friends?”

I offered as she laughed before shaking her head no. I opened my mouth to ask what that meant but she quickly answered my question for me.

“Me and you can never be friends” she explained with a sad smile. “As much as I can accept that you and my sister are together. I don’t think I can stand being around you and pretend that everything is ok. A part of me is still completely in love with you and I’m hoping that one day that love will die. But I know that if me and you get back to being friends that will never happen and I cant take that risk so that’s why I’m severing all ties with you. So that, from now on, when I say to you and Mel that I want you to be happy and that I have moved on – I actually mean it” she continued as I bit the inside of my cheeks.

As I listened to her explanation, it finally hit me how much I had hurt her. I had not only lost my girlfriend when I slept with Melisa but I had lost a friend as well. My best friend. And no matter how much I tried to convince myself that she was better without me or she didn’t need me in her life – the more I realised what a huge mistake I had made.

I loved Melisa but I was still in love with Daniela.

“… and don’t worry you and Mel don’t have to worry about me cramping your style. I’m moving to Madrid” she said, interrupting my thoughts.

“What?” I spat out as I finally caught on to what she had said.

“Yeah. I got a fantastic job offer and I’m moving to Spain” she confirmed with the biggest smile on her face. “You see I really am starting over and after your wedding you never have to see me again”

As much as she meant those words as reassurance to me, my heart could not help but sink as I realised that in three days, Daniela would no longer be in my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued…