Pulse

End

Ivy closed her eyes, luxuriating in the feeling of people cheering for her. It felt good. It felt right. Relaxed, her arms hanging gently at her sides, she called out to the crowd. “How are you doing tonight?” The resulting cheer was stupendous. She felt whole, like she was meant to be up there, entertaining the public.

The familiar beat of Ivy’s first song, “You Don’t Care” pulsed behind her. Smiling softly, she pushed her hair behind her ear with one hand and stepped up to the mike. She looked over at Daniel and gave him a smile before her voice filled the room.

A shot rang out in the dead silence following Echo Star’s performance, in the split second of awe before the claps were to begin. A small gasp came from the front portion of the stage.

Daniel dropped his ice blue guitar and ran to Ivy’s side. She was pale, and her hand was pressed to a bleeding hole in her stomach. She gasped, and fell down.

“Ivy, Ivy look at me!” Daniel shouted, grasping her face between his rough hands and pointing it towards himself. He had to scream to be heard over the frightened noise that was the crowd.

“I’m sorry.” She whispered. Her words made no noise as she moved her bloody hand to grasp one of his.

“No, don’t say that!” He was starting to cry, the tears making wet spots on her shirt where they fell. “Freddie, don’t just stand there, call an ambulance!” He shouted to the drummer, who was staring, dumbfounded.

Ivy gasped, coughing up blood. “It hurts.” She whispered. Her eyes closed. “It’s cold.”

“No!” Daniel screamed when Ivy’s grip on his hand slackened. “No! You can’t leave me here! I love you! Remember when I was sick? You promised never to leave me! You can’t go, I need you. Elaine. Ivy.” Daniel sobbed into Ivy’s still form. It was the first time he had ever told her he loved her. And she would never hear it.

Just then the paramedics rushed in, ripping Daniel from Ivy’s lifeless body. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Two months later, the police broke into the apartment Daniel moved into after he moved out of his parents’ house.

They found a note on his bedside table. It read,

“Ivy, my love.
These months without you have been the longest of my life, and the least pleasant. I love you more than anything and everything else combined. Please forgive me for doing this to myself. I know you probably expected better of me. But what else was I supposed to do when everything I lived for vanished all at once? Echo Star could never go on without their front woman and lead singer. And I could never go on without you. I love you so much. I’m sorry.”

Elaine Georgeson
1990-2008
Daughter, Singer, Woman

Daniel Webster
1990-2008
When your life ended,
Mine did as well.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much for reading. I've loved doing this, and I'm planning on another story soon. I'm sorry for those of you who wanted Ivy to end up with Daniel, but they did, in a way. In a deeper way than just getting married and having loads of children.

I think this chapter makes a statement about society and how the good guys don't always come out on top.