Pulse

I'm a gangster, I'm a straight-up G...

It was clear as Daniel pulled up to the school that Randy would have no idea who the stranger giving his sister a ride was.

Ivy sighed. “Well, I think I’m going to have to go find my brother.”

“Why?” Daniel teased.

“Because he’ll be afraid of walking over to a stranger’s car, that’s why!” Ivy was still slightly pissed at Daniel for his car. Stupid nice car.

Daniel laughed, a slightly awkward sound, but a laugh nonetheless. It made Ivy smile as she got out of the car and looked around through the sea of small children.

“RANDY!!” She screamed over the loud chatter. “RANDY GEORGESON!!” He came running.

“Ivy!” he shouted. He ran over to her, and looked around. “Ivy?” He questioned, searching. “Where’s your truck?”

“Um, I got a ride with a friend today.” She replied through gritted teeth. More like was kidnapped by an acquaintance today.

She led her brother to the car, and promptly shoved him into the backseat. “This car is nicer than yours.” He said, oblivious to Ivy’s irritation as he bounced happily in the seat.

“Thank you!” Daniel said, giving him a smile and throwing a jolly rancher at Randy, who grinned and popped the watermelon flavored thing into his mouth.

A few hours later, Ivy was back up at the high school. Daniel had driven her here after picking up her brother, driving them to the hospital, and then driving them back home. Why was he being so nice to her?

Groaning in irritation, Ivy searched the darkened parking lot for her ugly old truck. She was sure she had parked it around here somewhere. She couldn’t find it on the north side of the school, so she had to walk around to the south side, which was where the gangsters hung out after curfew. Curfew was fifteen minutes ago. Shit. Maybe if she walked quickly, she could avoid the stupid gangs, and instead get to her truck safely.

Not quickly enough, apparently. “Hey, chick! Why you on our turf!” A really dumb one, presumably the leader, shouted roughly. He was big, and leaning against her truck. His clothes were baggy, and he was surrounded by people who looked like they would jump her at a moment’s notice.

Ivy stepped into the circle of light cast by the streetlight that she always parked by, holding her head high, looking the man who shouted at her directly in the eye. “That’s my truck.” She said in her most courageous, yet non-threatening voice.

He looked at her incredulously. “Well it ain’t no more. This our new hangout. You better leave.” He raised both of his eyebrows.

Ivy, remembering what her mother told her about bullies being all bark and no bite, simply crossed her arms over her chest and stared the group down.

The big guy who had yelled at her walked forward, and stopped directly in front of her. “I said you better leave.” His breath smelled, and Ivy wrinkled her nose in distaste. He pushed her slightly, enough to make her stumble. “Now move, little girl.”

Ivy gritted her teeth and stared him down. Suddenly, sirens rang out from the other side of the school. “OH SHIT!” the smallest one shouted. “We better get outta here before the cops get us! I ain’t allowed to be in two miles of this place right now!” he explained further. The sirens got closer, and the gang all ran away, leaving Ivy standing, slightly dazed, in their wake.

The car with the sirens pulled around the corner, and Ivy could see that it wasn’t a police cruiser. Instead, it was Daniel’s car; a police light perched on top. Ivy laughed at the sight of him huddled over the dashboard, face darkened, trying to look very much like an overweight police officer. And succeeding.

“You alright?” he asked as soon as he got close enough for her to hear him through his open window. Ivy nodded and he continued. “Not one of them touched you, did they?” He looked like he was going to kill someone. Ivy chuckled.

“No. They all ran away as soon as they heard that pesky cop car.” She teased.

“Oh, well, in that case, how about a police escort home?” he grinned sheepishly at her, as if he thought he was butting into her life too much for one day.

“That would be quite lovely, officer. Just let me get my car.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment love is spectacular.