Into the Eyes of a Killer

God I need a smoke.

Her eyes bore into my soul, searching every part of my being. I couldn’t see her looking at me, my eyes on the road as I drove, but I could feel her calculating gaze. It made me feel naked and bare, though realistically I knew she could find any part of me she wanted, if she had the desire. Sneaking a glance out of the corner of my eyes, I caught her singing song lyrics, something that normally shouldn’t be so unsettling. Perhaps it was the lyrics themselves… or the way she mouthed them, almost prophetically.

“Can’t you feel, the poison rising out of the morning and clear through the night.
You can feel my strength destroy you, straight to the heart from the venomous bite.”

She had a fondness for Avenged Sevenfold. Certain songs summoned her. Others she enjoyed playing, to send messages in an elegant manner. My hands were wrapped tightly around the steering wheel, 10 and 2 with my knuckles turning white from the strain. My posture was ridged, unassuming. I watched as my last cigarette burned down, afraid to move my hand to flick the ash, even to signal my turns.

“Hm… I think I’m going to take your soul…” She said, turning down the music enough so that I could hear her. Her voice was low, trying to be sweet in the way a predator is before it eats its prey. Not warmth, but amusement.

“Normally… we don’t take souls like yours. But I think I’m going to make an exception.” Leaning back, she drew off her cigarette, her mouth sensuously curved to let the smoke curl out of her lips. Lucky me, I thought sarcastically, the idea of losing my soul an unappealing one. I hit the breaks, a little later than I should have. I hadn’t noticed that the light turned yellow. I was too busy watching her. Afraid she’d make a move. Yes… that was it.

We pulled into the parking spot and I subtly glanced at my watch. He wouldn’t be out for another 20 minutes… I had to wait in the car with her until he did come out. 20 minutes and I’d already smoked my last cigarette. I silently cursed any deities interested enough to be paying attention as she changed the song to another favorite of hers, Scream. The title was appropriate, I thought. As was the entire song. Readjusting for comfort, I noticed how every movement of hers was deliberate. Nothing wasted. I wondered for a moment if she could even taste the cigarette she was smoking. If she could feel the burn of it in her throat. Did she like the feeling or was it merely a tool for appearances?

As she sang more lyrics, the music far louder than it should have been, she traced a finger down my cheek, letting it linger on my jaw before she withdrew her hand. I shivered, swallowing hard as several emotions in my mind and body fought for control. Instead, I pushed them all away, opting for awkward nothingness. Now was not the time. I could save it for later. For now, just survive. Try to figure out what she wants. Does she want anything? Maybe this is just a mind game. Perhaps she’s simply bored.

She goes for another cigarette and I take this moment of distraction to reach for the stereo, to try and change the song to one that might bring back my friend. Something to send this creature away. My hand is slapped, and she looks at me coldly.

“Don’t even think about it…” She says threatening, tapping the side of her head lightly with a smirk. “I’ll know.”

I look out the window to escape her eyes, nervously fidgeting with my hands in my lap. If I was a normal person, I might have tried to run. I might have been so filled with panic I couldn’t move, think, or operate. But I’m not normal. And this situation was becoming horrifyingly commonplace. I simply dealt with things as they came, repressing any terror I might feel so that I might do what I needed to. Some might call it bravery. I simply thought of it as survival. Even cowardice. I still haven’t gone back to the emotions of that night. Burying them under everything else I’ve repressed. It’s not healthy, I know. But then, neither is smoking. At this point, I’m not worried about either of them taking my life. There are more pressing concerns.

“Have a cigarette.” She said, no commanded, while she watched me fidget. I shrugged helplessly, desperately wanting to obey her, but being unable to.

“I smoked my last one…” I offer meekly. She regards me for a moment longer as she takes a long drag off her own.

“Have one of his when he gets out.” She said. It was not a suggestion.

I checked my watch, five more minutes until he’d be out. He should be out of the building soon though… having some time before he punched out. Eagerly watching the door, I saw factory workers pour out, many of them putting things in their cars. Finally, he came out, brightening up when he spotted my car. With a smile, he waved to me and his wife. I tried to smile, but only managed to mouth the words, “Help me.” His smile faded as she gave him a sickly sweet smile, curling her fingers down in a lazy wave. Climbing into the back seat, I hardly wait for him to sit down as I turn back to him.

“Please let me have a cigarette.” I beg him, surprised at how desperate I sounded at that moment. He simply nodded in understanding and handed me one of his. Marlboro Reds. At this point, I hardly cared as I shakily lit up and took a long draw.

A few minutes passed. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her leaning in towards me and instinctively leaned away, the car door only allowing me so much give. Her nose touched my cheek and I could feel her mouth moving as she sang more lyrics. I can’t seem to recall which ones. When she finished, she let the touch linger there for a moment longer before slowly and lightly running the tip of her tongue up my cheek, leaning back into her seat once she’d finished. I couldn’t move for a moment or two. The shock still gripping me tightly. Finally, I managed to bring the cigarette to my mouth, dry and ignorant of the taste, or even the ash that had fallen onto my hand. She laughed and my whole body went cold.

---

“How to give your guy the most Earth shattering orgasm.” I declared, lounging on Sophie’s couch, a Glamour magazine over my head.

“Do you have to read in that ridiculous accent? You’re giving me a headache.” She said wryly, turning back to her computer as I stuck out my tongue.

“It makes it more fun and interesting. It’s also strangely addictive.” I say lightly as I hear someone walk in the door. Resting the magazine on my chest, I lifted my head slightly to see who it is. Two guys walked in, their arms full of paper bags that would have looked like groceries to the untrained eye. Both were tall, though one had the dark, soft appeal while the other had the body of a soccer player.

“Hey Scott, hey Lance.” Sophie called from the living room, not even looking up to identify them. I waved a lazy hand at them.

“Yo.” The pair smiled and set the bags down, ushering one of the cats out of the way as they set out candles, incense and various stones. Tossing aside the magazine, I grabbed a couch pillow and set it on the ground, the four of us sitting down on the floor. Looking around at the lights, I quickly put a finger on my nose, trying to look as innocent as possible. Sophie, immediately catching the hint glued her own finger to her nose, Lance joining in. Scott looked around at everyone, swore and stood up, grumbling the entire time as he went around and shut off lights.

“Alright, we all set?” Lance asked choosing his favorite stones. Sophie shrugged, Scott closed his eyes to center himself and I gave the thumbs up.

“Let’s do this.”

Taking hands around the burning candles, everyone looked expectantly at me, waiting.

“… What? … Fine fine, I’ll lead it. But don’t bitch at me if we get someone pissy. Just saying.” The others smiled and closed their eyes. Just as I was about to start in, Sophie opened hers, giving my hand a squeeze. I glanced at her curiously.

“… I don’t think we should. Not tonight. Not for a while at least.” She said slowly, trying to frame it in any way she could so as not to disappoint.

“Bad feeling…?” I ask, hiding a small sigh. Going against Sophie’s intuition always led us to very bad places. Scott shifted uncomfortably, looking as if he had a stomach ache.

“Yeah, I’m going to agree. I don’t think we should mess with them tonight.” He said calmly, setting down his stones. With a nod, I helped everyone clean up supplies, smiling.

“That’s cool, we’ll just do it later.” I say lightly. Sophie brightens up as she glances at her computer.

“Everyone bring their laptops?” She asked with a grin. We all nod and she claps. “Sweet, WoW party!”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, here's the second chapter. I kinda already had it prepared after I did chapter one, so updates are probably not going to be this fast. Sorry! But hey, I can build up a fan base, or something...? Comments? Critiques? Anything? Hello? ...echo echo echo

Oh...