Into the Eyes of a Killer

Frustration

She smirked at us, her eyes cold and empty as usual. It had been a while… things had gone into a quiet kind of lull, all of us wanted to do something… anything… but no one knew what we could do. Everyone sat in shock. She was going to take Sophie away from us… just like that. She would convince Sophie that it was for the best, that we would be safe… but… but that just wasn’t… it wasn’t right! How could we talk to Sophie, convince her of this when She was inside her head, twisting her thoughts and our words, making them seem like perfectly logical conclusions? She laughed, sitting back in her seat.

“I can do it anytime you know. Oh, it would be by her hand of course… but I could. Tomorrow. Next week, next month… even in years.” As she smiled through her triumph, I gritted my teeth. The alcohol had stolen away my fear, leaving me with blind hatred for that thing… that beast… of pure evil. She was going to steal away my best friend from me and no matter how hard I fought to save her, it seemed only to make matters worse. I wasn’t going to let it just end like this… but I felt helpless.
In all of the T.V. shows and movies… there is always something to fight. Something physical. That’s why I now hate the show Charmed. They see a demon, find the appropriate banishing spell, or just use their magical powers to kick ass. It was never… EVER that simple for us. Subtle manipulation, coercion… Hell, half the time it was hard to know if everyone wasn’t simply insane. We couldn’t talk to anyone about what was happening. Who would believe us? She wasn’t even something that was recorded in the less-reputed books. We couldn’t research her. Figure out how others before us had dealt with her. She alone was an anomaly, and God knows our situation itself was specially unique.

I took a long, hard draw of my cigarette, barely feeling its burn in my throat. She was gloating. And I… I was pissed. At my own uselessness and at the situation itself. To be perfectly honest it was bullshit. We kept getting subtle clues and hints in songs… but when you’re trying to put together a puzzle when you’ve never seen the picture… we always run out of time before somebody flips the table and throws a new puzzle at us. Sometimes mixing the old pieces with the new. It was a long… arduous and thankless process. Roxy once called us heroes. I almost laughed in her face. Heroes to who? Only to ourselves, but only if we win the war. We’d scraped through battles before, other situations… but in the end it was only Sophie who was truly able to win any of the fights. We were just… supplement. This time was no exception… only worse. Sophie didn’t want to fight anymore… She had convinced Sophie to give up. To kill herself for our benefit. For OUR benefit! We wouldn’t have fought so damn hard if we thought it would just have been easier to let her die. No! Sophie dying would be the worst possible thing that could happen! It would be infinitely more devastating than any amount of psychological bullshit that She was putting us through. All of it was worth it if we could save her in the end… but how… how do you save someone from themselves first?
♠ ♠ ♠
Short, scrambled... I just had to get it out of my head. I'll work on it later...