You're My Mission

why i don't trust you

It had been a damn long day. As if our mission wasn’t draining enough, we had to endure hours of travel and then a visit to the Avengers Tower for Bucky to get his arm checked. By the time we returned to our accommodation, everyone was pleased to finish off their takeaway hamburgers and head to bed, Steve first jumping in the shower. Once the water had switched off and I heard Steve shuffle to his bedroom, I realised how insanely quiet the house was. Everyone was so exhausted that it provided a good opportunity for me to spend some time with Bucky and not risk being caught. Eager to bring back the softer, warmer Bucky I had grown to love, I crept into the lounge and scanned the stack of DVDs in the TV cabinet. Satisfied I had found a good movie, I walked back down the hallway and snuck into Bucky’s bedroom.

He was sound asleep in his bed, the sheet pooling at his bare waist, and one arm was curled around his spare pillow. I felt a pang of desire to be the pillow, to be tucked against his body and cradled with a soft affection, but emerging from his bedroom in the morning would dramatically increase our chances of being caught by Natasha. Instead of slipping beneath the blankets with him, I opted for a a peck on the cheek.

Bucky moaned softly and a smile began to soften his sharp jawline. He turned a little to face me and his eyes opened just a smidgen, as though he was checking it was truly me, before he reached up and pulled me into a proper kiss.

“Morning already?” he grumbled while glancing at the alarm clock, its glowing red digits revealing that he hadn’t been asleep for long.

“I was wondering if you’d like to have a date, since everyone’s so tired they shouldn’t bother us,” I suggested.

“I’d love to, but I honestly think I’m too tired to perform well, and that’s not good for a first time,” Bucky replied casually and my heart skipped a beat.

“A movie date, in the lounge,” I clarified and understanding flashed across his face.

“Oh, right, I could do that,” he whispered before sleepily dragging himself out of bed and reaching for a shirt he had tossed on the floor.

“Do you really need the shirt?” I asked, my eyes skimming over his toned body that was only covered by a pair of boxers. He smirked and dropped the shirt, but still grabbed a pair of baggy shorts.

“Hey, you were the one who said it was a movie date,” he remarked as he took my hand. I led him to the lounge and Bucky laid down on the couch while I set the TV up, turning its volume down so we could only just hear the movie. “So what it is about? I haven’t watched a movie for seventy years.” Bucky gestured for me to lie down with him, so I spread out on top of him and enjoyed the way his arms naturally cradled my torso.

“Well, it’s probably quite different from what you’re used to,” I agreed. I pecked his nose and then began the movie 50 First Dates. “It’s about a man who tries dating a woman who has memory problems. Even though it’s a movie aimed at women, I thought you might find it interesting.”

He gave me a hesitant smile in response and I rested my head on his bare chest, half listening to his heartbeat and half watching the movie I had already enjoyed several times. The first time Lucy didn’t remember who Henry was, Bucky gripped onto my hand, and only tightened his clutch every time Lucy lost her memory. Thankfully, he relaxed at Henry’s sweet pursuits and he was even smiling when the ending played. Leaving the credits on the screen, I propped myself up a little, my face an inch away from his as I tried to read his emotions.

“What did you think?” I wondered, hoping I hadn’t made a mistake by choosing that movie.

“I think… that I’m lucky,” Bucky answered and my eyebrows crinkled with confusion, surprised that that was the conclusion he had reached.

“You’re lucky?” I repeated. He nodded.

“I’m lucky that I can remember, even if it was difficult to at first and even if I didn’t want certain memories,” Bucky explained before inhaling deeply. I rose high with his chest, suppressing the urge to giggle at how effortlessly he was moving me. “And I’m lucky that I have you, someone who will always be there for me.”

I was about to shift upwards and plant a huge kiss on his lips to complete the sweet moment, but I instead froze because I heard the fridge door clunk open. Hoping that it was just Steve, I pushed myself up slightly and peeked over the back of the couch.

“You can see why I don’t trust you two, right?” Natasha commented as she poured herself a glass of chilled water. I inwardly groaned and sunk back down to avoid her toxic stare. Bucky rubbed my back reassuringly.

“This is none of your business,” I called out to her.

“Like hell it isn’t,” she snorted and the fridge door opened and closed again. I heard her footsteps approaching us so I slid off Bucky’s bare torso and straightened up. My body was naturally tensing and I wondered exactly what would happen if two spies got into a fight in front of an assassin. “Put yourself in my shoes. An enemy organisation takes down your own, the bad guys have finally won. You’re thrown into a team of survivors but two of those agents come from that enemy organisation. They have history, and they’re clearly creating more personal memories together. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.”

“This team hasn’t been a disaster at all; we’ve been successful,” I pointed out.

“Well moles have to gain trust somehow,” Natasha countered with a shrug before taking a sip of her drink.

“What would it take for you to trust us, huh? Or should we not bother trying because it’s an impossible task?” Bucky suddenly interjected, sitting up on the couch. Natasha finally got a glimpse of him, and I saw her look him up and down. My fist clenched and I noted that I was feeling jealous because another woman was paying interest in my man.

“If I told you how to prove your loyalty, that would be too easy. Just know that I’m not going to rely on Steve and Fury’s word, and I’ll be sleeping with one eye open,” Natasha said before turning and leaving.

Once I was convinced that she wasn’t coming back, I focused on turning off the TV and packing away the DVD. Bucky remained silent until I had finished and once I was standing with nothing left to do, he guided me into his arms. After squeezing him until most of my frustration had left, Bucky led me to his bedroom. It took me a few seconds to process where I was and then my breath hitched. I turned to face him, noticing that he had already shed his shorts.

“If you wanted to stay, I can hold you all night and make you feel better,” he offered sweetly, making me realise that his intentions were good. I agreed with a nod and then slipped into his bed, replacing the pillow he had been hugging earlier. Bucky joined me and pressed his body firmly against my back, countering every curve of my body with his own flesh and holding me tight. I fell asleep admiring the way he fit snugly against the shape of my body, like two matching puzzle pieces.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to commenters winddancerx17, acid_rain88, Brian Haner Jr and Amped., you're all awesome for letting me know what you thought of the update! Taking a step back from the action to indulge in a little bit of romance, so I hope you enjoy this chapter :)