You're My Mission

it's still a mess

I woke to an empty bed, though the spot where Bucky had been lying was still warm. The smell of a delicious breakfast being cooked had drifted into my room, so I pulled some pyjamas on before quickly nipping across the hall to the bathroom and then down to the kitchen. Steve was working the sizzling stove, and Bucky was at the breakfast bar with his back to me. I admired the way his toned arms moved as he wolfed down his food, glad that he had only put a singlet on.

“Good morning, Jennifer,” Steve addressed me, snapping me out of my contemplation about whether or not I found Bucky’s robotic arm attractive, especially after last night.

“Morning,” I addressed them both as Bucky turned at the waist to smile at me.

“Hey, sorry I didn’t wait. Steve makes the best bacon and eggs,” he said and I smiled dismissively.

“It’s fine,” I genuinely shrugged it off. It sunk in that I hadn’t even been that concerned when I realised Bucky had left. I guess I had faith that he wouldn’t stray far from me. Steve dished some food up for me and I dug in, eager to regain some of my lost energy from last night.

“All right, who was having all the fun last night?” Sam asked loudly, making his entrance known. I stopped mid-chew to spin on my stool and spotted Sam lazily walking over to join us, an empty glass and packet of painkillers in his hand. “Where’s Natasha? Was it her?” Sam plonked himself next to me and I tried to calm my jittering stomach. If he had heard us, then surely Natasha had too, which meant she had only deepened her hatred for us.

“After I went for a run with her this morning, Stark called her out on a mission. She shouldn’t be long,” Steve answered before serving a couple of sausages on a plate for Sam. “How’s your head?”

“Better. Still kind of wish I was a super soldier, though,” Sam remarked before slicing one of the sausages. “So you and Natasha have sex and then go for a run in the morning? As if you’re not tired enough?” Steve laughed as he put the pan back on the element.

“I’m flattered you think I have a shot at taming her,” he said and I suddenly felt Sam’s gaze on me.

“God, it was you two, wasn’t it?” he realised with his mouth half full. I didn’t respond. I couldn’t. My brain couldn’t figure out how to react, and Bucky remained still and staring at his plate of food. “I was still drunk when I woke up, I couldn’t quite figure out where the noise was coming from, but wow… I thought you two were just close friends, since you both suffered in Hydra, you know?” Sam silenced himself by continuing to eat and I risked a look at Bucky, uncertain of how to respond to Sam’s remarks. A part of me felt embarrassed and didn’t want to be teased by immature comments, but the rest of me couldn’t care less because of how amazing last night was and how much I adored Bucky.

“That’s how it started, and now we’re together,” Bucky replied for me, taking me aback by how he was actually addressing our relationship to someone else. I caught Steve’s eye and he smiled, clearly also pleased that Bucky was prepared to admit that there was something more between us.

“Oh that’s great, congratulations you two!” Sam beamed and we muttered our thanks to him. I wanted to say more, but I was too shocked by how supportive Sam was, a total contrast to Natasha’s reactions.

There was a rustle of noise from outside the front door and then it opened, Natasha stepping inside with a suitcase in tow. My mood soured and I focused back on my breakfast.

“Hey, guys,” she addressed us. “Steve, you remember Clint.” I perked up and turned around, spotting a man a couple of inches taller than Natasha. With ruffled light brown hair and a square face, he was a handsome man, but that didn’t help my nerves. He was standing closely to Natasha and I figured they had to be at least good friends.

“Yeah, of course. How are you?” Steve called out.

“Good,” Clint replied blankly, not even smiling to help prove that he was indeed doing well.

“The rest of you, this is Agent Clint Barton, part of the Avengers team where he’s known as Hawkeye. Clint, that’s Sam, AKA Falcon,” Natasha introduced with a gesture to Sam before hesitating on me. “Then there’s Jennifer and Bucky. They came from Hydra and can’t keep out of each other’s pants.” My jaw locked as a tense silence filled the room. A tiny smirk was on Clint’s lips, and I guessed he had already made the call to follow in Natasha’s footsteps and not trust us.

“It’s nice to meet you, Clint,” Sam said with a nod. “Are you a part of our team now? Where are you staying?”

“He is, so I was thinking he could take Jennifer’s room, since she doesn’t spend much time in it anyway,” Natasha replied while making a move for the door to the hallway and the bedrooms.

“Hey, play nice,” Steve warned, holding out the spatula and actually looking pretty threatening with it as a weapon. I spotted Sam giving me an awkward smile and I realised that they were both doing their best to keep the situation calm and the attention off Bucky and I. Although I was grateful, I got the feeling that it wasn’t working.

“Sure, but you really shouldn’t take him there yet because it’s still a mess from last night,” I retorted and Natasha paused, surprised that I had spoken up.

“You can have my room, Clint. It won’t take much for me to move out,” Bucky offered, keeping the conversation civil.

“Thanks, man,” Clint nodded.

“Besides, I should probably let Steve get a good night’s sleep for once,” Bucky added with a grin. He then turned back around and focused on his breakfast. Natasha glared at the back of his head for a moment and I couldn’t help but smirk at her obvious distress. She wasn’t used to being talked back to, and I made a note that this might be the way to force her to move past the issue. All this time I had thought that avoiding confrontation would be better for everyone, but perhaps I was wrong.

“You can set up in my room for now,” Natasha stated to Clint before leading him away. They shut the door behind them and I felt Sam and Steve’s eyes rest on Bucky and I.

“What?” I asked them.

“Do you really think that embracing your relationship is what Natasha wants to see happen?” Steve wondered, clearly anxious about the rising tension in the house. He had to be worried that it was going to boil over and affect our missions, but so far Natasha hadn’t allowed her feelings to compromise an assignment, and I didn’t plan on letting mine ruin one either.

“No, it’s not,” I agreed.

“But that’s why we have to do it,” Bucky finished for me. We shared a smile and I found hope in his bright eyes that we could change Natasha’s mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks a lot to acid_rain88 and Awkwardly Obscured for the comments, you guys know how much I appreciate them! :) What do you think Clint's addition to the team is going to lead to?