You're My Mission

the winter soldier unit

I was lead into a bank and then down to a vault, an eerie golden green glow lighting it. Lower Hydra agents were posted in a circle, facing outwards, and I caught a glimpse of who they were guarding. The Winter Soldier was sitting in a chair, machines and contraptions surrounding him, as a pair of technicians worked on his bionic arm.

It appeared as though every time I met with him recently, he was shedding an item of his uniform. Now he only wore pants, and I saw for the first time the scars surrounding his robotic arm and how brilliantly toned his torso was, and I couldn’t help but be glad that his bulky vest of weapons wasn’t hiding it. I loitered by the vault’s door, unable to pry my eyes off the soldier that was becoming more of a man every passing second.

He looked up. Before it was as though he was in a daydream, but now he had come back to reality.

With a lightning-quick swipe of his arm, the Winter Soldier knocked the technicians to the floor. The Hydra guards spun into action and their itchy trigger fingers prevented the Winter Soldier from moving again, but his chest heaved with frustration.

A horde of fast footsteps echoed down the hallway, heading for us, so I diverted my attention to the metal gate, Pierce eventually coming into view. All I received as acknowledgement of my presence was a second-long glance, but that was still a hell of a lot more than what most people received.

Pierce approached the Winter Soldier and demanded a mission report, asking twice but he wasn’t given an answer. The Winter Soldier looked over at me, pale blue eyes pleading for aid, but I couldn’t help the defenceless man. How could he be so powerful, a skilled and talented killer, and yet here he had to sit still and do as he was told?

I received a glare from Pierce, clearly disapproving of the Winter Soldier’s disobedience and his longing stare at me. He broke the moment by slapping the almighty soldier and I almost gasped.

I was surprised that there was no retaliation. Instead a rather one-sided conversation followed and I gained an insight on who the Winter Soldier was: he had ties to Captain America. I made a note to find the Captain and ask, once I had completed Fury’s mission.

“Prep him,” Pierce instructed as he stood. The technicians advised against it, but Pierce wasn’t going to be turned down. He ordered another brainwash on the Winter Soldier, and I watched as his confused face fell with even more sorrow, clearly aware of what was about to happen to him. Fearful blue eyes fell onto me again, and I just couldn’t stand by and watch any longer.

“Sir, he’s too unstable. He needs to go back into cryo and-”

“My orders are final,” Pierce interrupted me with a snarl and I closed my mouth like the good soldier I was. He looked away, back at the Winter Soldier, and I found myself watching on as well.

As though he wasn’t a human being, he was shoved back into the chair and given a mouthpiece. I wondered about what other ways his human rights had been violated as the machines whirred into life and metal straps pinned him down. After stealing a glance at Pierce I realised that he was enjoying punishing the Winter Soldier like this, and I wanted to give him a good slap across the face. Or a punch to the guts, or a quick kick to the balls. Maybe put a bullet or two in him. Pieces of the machine locked into place on either side of the Winter Soldier’s head and he tensed considerably, bracing himself for pain. My eyes widened as he screamed. This man was in complete agony, and no one in this room was doing a damn thing about it. With clenched fists, I lowered my gaze, unable to watch.

“You. With me,” Pierce instructed as he walked by, leaving the vault. I trailed behind his guards until he stopped in a secluded area of the underground hallway.

The Winter Soldier’s cries could still be heard. I had to bite my tongue to prevent myself from challenging my supposed boss.

“This is the second time you have let me down in the last couple of days. I’m starting to think it was a mistake to put you in charge of such a valuable asset to Hydra,” Pierce scolded me. I kept my stance strong.

“Sir, it was the correct choice. I can handle him,” I replied and a snide grin crossed his lips.

“You have failed me. I’m taking you off the Winter Soldier unit,” he commanded. I knew my face had fallen into an expression of shock despite my best efforts to remain blank.

“But, sir-”

“Go home and await your next assignment,” Pierce instructed before continuing down the hall with his men.

I was left alone, the only thing to accompany me being the Winter Soldier’s screams echoing towards me. I considered strutting into the vault and taking out as many guards as I could, freeing the Winter Soldier and then breaking out of here with his help. But there were too many risks. I couldn’t rely on him remembering me, or having enough luck to not be taken down by a bullet first.

My head fell as I accepted that I had failed Fury. There was nothing further I could do here, so I stormed upstairs and headed home, wondering where I could find a loyal SHIELD agent that could help me try to fix this mess.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks a bunch to zima. and Awkwardly Obscured for commenting! There's some action heading your way in the next chapter as we head away from the movie's content, so I hope you enjoy reading it!