You're My Mission

a metal grip like that

Things had turned to absolute shit. No one from Hydra contacted me after Pierce had dismissed me from the Winter Soldier unit, but that only provided me with time to search for SHIELD agents who I could trust. The whole damn headquarters building had been taken down with three helicarriers, so what was left of SHIELD was underground and hence impossible to find. Initially I had been determined, a huge desire within me to live up to Fury’s high expectations and to still help the Winter Soldier, but as time passed that flame died down.

Today I had retired from my search early. After encountering dead end after dead end, I had decided that having a few drinks was going to be the only thing that could help numb the pain. Unfortunately the walk back to my apartment had somewhat sobered me up and my bleak mood had returned. Thankful to be out of the cold, I went straight to the dining room and took a seat. I dumped my handbag on the chair next to me and sighed, frustrated that I wasn’t making any progress.

My eyes shot up as I sharply inhaled. Someone was in my apartment. I had faintly heard the placement of a shoe from behind me, and in my line of work, unwelcome visitors never meant good news.

I slipped my hand into my bag to reach for my pistol. A heavy gloved hand briskly appeared and landed atop mine so I couldn’t grab my weapon.

“No,” a man ordered from behind me.

Determining that he had a kill order for me, I leapt from my chair. I swung around and landed an elbow to his face, but he didn’t stumble for long. He countered with a kick but I leapt away to avoid it, returning when his leg lowered so I could try to punch the attacker. His forearm flew up to defend himself so I tried a jab with my left arm instead. Once again it was effortlessly blocked by the assailant and after a few more failed attempts by me, he swooped his leg low and hit the backs of my knees. I cried out as I fell, but thankfully the table was close enough for me to grab. Once steady, I spun with a fist aimed for his head, but his left arm caught my wrist mid-air, and there was only one man with a metal grip like that.

My eyes enlarged with fear. I was seriously screwed. Hydra had sent the Winter Soldier to kill me, which meant there was no chance in hell I was going to live to see another day. I couldn’t even see his face in the dark apartment. Had he been forced to wear his mask again? Or was the man behind the assassin visible?

The Winter Soldier lowered my arm slowly, but I wasn’t going to go down so easily. If Hydra wanted me dead, I was going to put up a fight. I raised my left leg and slammed my knee into his guts, which caused him to free my other hand as he doubled over. Seeing the opportunity, I rammed my right elbow down onto the back of his neck and used the momentum to shove him aside. A path to my bedroom had been freed, so I made a break for it to grab my other pistol.

I was so close to reaching my bedside cabinet when a pair of hands grabbed me and I was flung to the right. My body collided with the wall and it took a lot of energy to not crumple in a heap on the floor. I raised my right leg to kick him again, but he caught it with his robotic arm. In one swift motion his other hand gripped my waist and he hoisted me up, spinning me around and flinging me onto the bed. Had it not have been a life or death situation, I would have been impressed. The Winter Soldier was a blur, pinning my arms above my head as he sat on my thighs. Now that we were by a window, the streetlamp outside showed me that his face was uncovered and that he wore a casual black jacket and dark jeans. I couldn’t see his vest or belt of weapons, but that didn’t make me cease my struggling against his weight and grip.

“Stop,” he said, more like he was asking than commanding me. I didn’t listen and continued to writhe to no avail. “I’m not going to hurt you.”

“Like hell you are,” I spat. “What do you call that fight, huh? I bet Pierce even said to take your time with me.” His clutch on my wrists tightened at the mention of Pierce and his face hardened.

“I only defended myself,” he replied before his forehead creased with confusion. “And I… I don’t do that anymore… I don’t work for him.” At the realisation that this was the most I had ever heard him talk, and that he was indeed capable of full sentences, I relaxed and he in turn loosened his grasp. His voice was deep and had an edge of roughness about it, making his speech quite a pleasant sound for my ears.

“Why are you here then?” I wondered, unable to find a reason for him to be lying.

“You said… You always said to me that if I needed anything, I have to come to you and to you only,” he replied, recalling my instructions to him at the start of every mission. “Does that still apply? Can you help me? Do you still work for them?” He spat the word as though it was venom and it was then that I realised he remembered more than he should for someone who had been brainwashed.

“I never really did work for Hydra. I’m a SHIELD agent, and I was on an undercover mission to retrieve you,” I explained and his face softened a little. “I can help you. What do you need?”

“I need to find the man on the bridge.”

“Steve? Captain America?” I guessed and he nodded. “I can do my best.”

At the word that I was going to help him, the Winter Soldier let go of my wrists and pushed himself off me, rolling so he sat on the edge of the bed instead. I took a brief moment to catch my breath and then also sat up, glancing across at the man who had somehow escaped from Hydra. I had so many questions for him, so many answers I yearned for.

“I don’t know your name,” he said to break the silence before I could bombard him with questions.

“Jennifer,” I answered before pausing, doubtful about continuing. “Do you know yours?” I bit my tongue and watched him, as still as ever, as he pondered my question.

“Bucky,” he eventually replied. “My name is Bucky.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you Awkwardly Obscured and SleepingSoundlyAwake for commenting - I hope everyone enjoyed reading this chapter! Let me know what you thought of it!