‹ Prequel: Calm Before the Storm

You're Kind of Gangster

Ean

I sit off to the side of the circle, throwing an empty beer can into the fire illuminating the area around us under the dock. Will passes Max something I can't see in the shadows but as soon as Max lights it, I know what it is. "You guys really sure you want to be doing that on parole? Isn't your officer the sheriff or something?" I ask, pulling another can out of the case next to me.

Will snorts at me from across the fire, "Lynch doesn't scare me." Then, smirking at Max who's still smoking, he continues. "Speaking of Lynch, have you seen that girl he always has trailing behind him whenever we check in?"

Max snickers. "Yeah, man. I heard she's Beaubeau's little sister, a little smarty pants. She's the same age our little protégé over here," he says. He waggles his finger in my direction clumsily as whatever he was smoking sets in. Before he can say anything else, Spencer saunters in with another one of the blonde bimbos he tends to pick up.

He takes a seat and Max and Will glare at him as the girl sits in his lap. "Nice of you to show up, Spencer," Will sneers and Spencer casually waves him off. "Anyway, you were saying about your tutoring?"

Spencer snorts, about to start the mocking, but Will stops him and motions for me to go on. I shrug, "The school thinks my grades are shitty enough that I need some girl to tutor me."

The three guys glance at each other, and Max slurs together a sentence, "Who is she?"

Then it hits me. "How old did you say Beau's sister was?" Realization flashes in Will's eyes and a sinister smile ghosts his lips.

"About seventeen. Probably almost eighteen by now," he states simply.

"Fuck me, Beau Caron's little sister is tutoring me," I groan. My face buries itself in my hands as I mumble a string of profanities. I hear murmuring that I can't understand fully between the three guys and when I look up, they all go silent. "What?"

Max nods, and Will speaks, "I think we found your initiation."

I look between the three people in front of me as the girl leaves, upset at something Spencer must have said. I'm confused about why they're all smirking at me expectantly. "Beau always talked about how much he loved his baby sister. He was always protective of her, never letting her know what he was getting into until it broke out last year."

"So?"

Will gets frustrated when I still don't catch on to what he's trying to imply. "Wouldn't it be just a shame if while Beau was gone, something happened to change what he worked for?"

I finally understand what he's getting at, "So what, get her into this shit? Is that really such a good idea if she's always with Lynch?"

"No, fuck face, I meant ruin that damn innocence. But Beau taught this girl to build her walls up; you remember how shitty Beau's home life was. Hers was the same, and he only taught her more that the world is full of creeps, even if he was one of them. Your first tutoring session probably didn't help her impression of you either." It's Spencer who talks this time, a beer can replacing the girl in his grip.

"So how the hell am I supposed to get on her good side?" I ask, becoming just as frustrated with the guys. Then I remember, "I've seen her with the guy I used to play hockey with. Matt," I say, testing his name. The familiarity is instant.

"Get back in his good graces and you've got the girl."

"Just one more problem," Max says, sipping a beer. "Beau never told us her name for a reason, and this asshat probably never paid attention for five seconds to figure it out."