‹ Prequel: Calm Before the Storm

You're Kind of Gangster

Ean

"Gallagher!" I hear from the other side of the hallway. I recognize the voice immediately and turn to look at Matt. He glares at me as he walks towards me, Shailene behind him. I see Shailene who looks absolutely miserable, a bandage across her nose and bruising she didn’t even try to bother with. She tries to glare at me as she slams her locker shut, but winces and gives up halfway through her attempt. I stifle a laugh.

It's been two weeks since the fight between Matt and me. I just got the stitches out of my lip, and the spot on his jaw is still tinted yellow so I know my bloody knuckles were worth it. Shailene pulls on his arm, probably trying to discourage him from starting something again. He ignores her, though, and comes up to me, his fists clenched. "I guess you didn't understand how to leave her alone."

I smirk and shrug. "When have I ever known the word no?" I can see the fire in his eyes after that. He's about to swing for my face, before, all of a sudden, she's in between us, her hands pressed against Matt's chest, pushing him away.

"Matt! How many fucking times do I need to tell you I can fight my own battles? You never let anything go. Stop treating me like I'm five."

He looks at her, still pissed, and I can see he's going to make a mistake. "Lene, please. Let the guys take care of this."

She pauses for a second before her gaze turns to stone, all worry she had for him visibly vanishing. "Really? Really, Matt? You're going to pull that card?" He softens, trying to get her to calm down. They seem to have completely forgotten I'm even here. "Do I need to fucking remind you who my brother was?" she asks, her voice shaky. "Do I need to remind you what he had to teach me because of what he was?" She pushes him. "I can take care of myself, thanks."

"Lene-"

"Leave me the fuck alone, Matt. I'll let the boys handle a situation that doesn't even involve you. Go ahead, get your ass whooped, because we all know that's what would have happened if I didn't stop the fight last week."

She shakes her head when he reaches for her, then brushes past me around the corner. "Thanks, asshole," Matt says.

I give him a shrug, containing the anger of him blaming that on me. "Maybe you should let the girl live her life?" I look at him, then, thinking of it as having nothing better to do, follow Shailene out the door.

She's halfway to the entrance to the school by the time I get to my car and find her. She doesn't look when I stop next to her, so I roll down the window. "Shailene, it's me. Not Matt."

She stops, still not turning towards me. "Like you're any better."

I get out of the car, joining her on the sidewalk. "I probably deserved that." She nods. "Let me drive you home, it's freezing and you live too far away to walk all the way there."

"You don't know where I live."

"You're right. But I do know the general area." She glares as the smartass comment leaves my mouth. "Sorry, sorry."

"Why are you being nice to me? Three hours ago you shoved me out of your way and then looked at me like I was the one to blame for it."

"Because I shouldn't be an ass to the girl who's tutoring me?" I ask, hoping it's the answer that gets us out of the cold. But, I can’t explain it; something about this feels genuine. Some part of me is actually concerned for her well being and not letting her freeze on her way home. I shake it off though as I realize she’s walking to the passenger side of the car and getting in.

I climb in on my side of the car, then drive off towards her house.

-

"You can drop me off here," she says, making me stop at the same place that I left her last time I drove her home. "It's only a few blocks away."

"Then I can drive those last few blocks if it's so close," I say, not stopping. She glares at me and I ignore it, focusing on the road.

"Stop the car, Ean." I sigh and stop, knowing I shouldn't push her too much. I put the car in park. She pushes the door open, slinging her backpack on her shoulders.

I roll down the window when she stays put. "You going home or are you just going to stand there?"

"You can go now. You don't need to pretend to be concerned for my well being."

I huff. "Get back in the car, you're already shivering." She still refuses to move, so I get out too. "Shailene- Shailene come on." I glance around the area where we've stopped. It's fairly quiet, a two laned street, about ten miles from school. I'm glad now that she let me drive her- I've been outside for less than a minute and I'm already freezing. "Please?" I mumble.

Her head snaps toward me, a questioning look on her face, "What?"

I groan. "Please, Lene, just get back in the car."

She glances me over before opening the passenger door and getting back in.

"Don't call me that," she says once I'm inside too. I smile.

"Fine... Shai."

She takes a second to realize what I said and the perpetual scowl set on her face when she's around me deepens. This time, though, it's almost sad. However, she doesn't say anything about it. "Take your next left."