Hide and Seek

A Short Story

“…17…18…19….20… ready or not, here I come.”

My heart started to beat in excitement. I found the best hiding spot. Jake will never find me.

I could hear his little feet running throughout the house; desperately trying to find me.

I held my breath when I could hear him walk up the attic. I tried my best not to let out a sound.

I could see him now but it was too dark to make out his face.

The next thing that happened left chills down my back. He let out a blood-curdling scream and ran all the way downstairs calling for his mom and dad.

What’s going on? I thought, what did he see that made him so scared? Am I in danger?

I tried standing up but I couldn’t move; I felt stuck. I tried calling for help but I couldn’t speak; nothing would come out.

I started to panic which led to having difficulties with breathing.

I could hear the sound of two footsteps running upstairs now.

Oh good, that must be Jake’s parents. I finally can get out of here. I calmed down a bit and waited patiently.

Who are you?

A man I did not recognized stood in front of me.

“Jake, what’s wrong?”

A women I didn’t recognize either appeared by his side. She let out a long scream when she saw me.

The man didn’t say anything at first. Then he finally spoke up in total shock.

“I know who this is. I recognize that bracelet anywhere. It belonged to my best friend that I haven’t seen for thirty years.”