Status: I will continue to write on this story, just give me time. My married life and my son are both demanding ^.^

Unbroken

Darkness

I sat on a fallen tree log in a small clearing of the forest. I was alone to my thoughts as I stared up at the starlit moonless sky.

It had been six months since I found that scroll in the desolate wasteland that had once held a large village. Since that day, I still get glimpses of people that are not truly there, glimpses of souls who have either have not forgotten their happiness or who are now so angry that they plan destruction or mayhem.

I am not eight months pregnant, heavy with child. It's hard to travel, hard to sleep, and most of all I am in a constant state of danger. That is the only reason I still traveled with Sesshomaru.

He had become very distant after our 'encounter' at the hot springs. I tried to leave after finding the scroll but he had insisted that I stay with him until the baby was born. As I got heavier, Rin and I traded places. She rode on Kilala and I rode on A-Un. I had taken Rin under my wing, teaching her things about being a young girl and got her a new kimono.

When we would sleep, she would snuggle close to me. She had told me about her village and how it had been destroyed. She told me about how she had died and Sesshomaru had brought her back. She even told me stories of their adventures.

I sighed, remembering the last few months was painful. It really made me miss my family. I looked down at my belly, my hand running over the protrusion. I felt a soft kick on my hand as a knot grew in my stomach.

For the last few days I had felt a strong feeling that something was wrong. I wasn't sure what it was, just that it had something to do with my unborn child. A feeling of unease settled on me. I knew I would be having this child soon and I knew that its father was filled with darkness.

I was frightened for my child, unsure of what its future held. Sesshomaru landed in the small clearing, startling me. "We must leave."

I wasn't sure where he was taking me, hopefully somewhere I could stay for the next little bit until the child was born. I strained to get up, my hand supporting my back. I felt huge and I didn't like it. It didn't help that I had a kimono on that felt like it was several sizes too big. At least it was pretty though. It was black with red roses, complete with green stems and leaves.

I followed Sesshomaru to a clearing beside a large river where A-Un, Rin, Kilala, and Jaken were waiting. I climbed onto A-Un, my back strapped to his back. Rin and Jaken climbed onto Kilala and, together, we all took off.

Looking over the landscape, fall was setting in. The once green trees now stood proud with golden leaves. Sprinkles of orange, brown, and green in sprinkled throughout the forest. I zoned off again.

I was frightened. In my time, we had a strong numbing medicine that deadened the nerves to keep child birth painless. Here, I was lucky if I got hot water and a towel. The feeling of wrongness settled over me again, warning me that something was wrong with my child. I wrapped my hands around my stomach so one laid on top and the other cradled the bottom.

There was absolutely no way that I would let anything happen to my child. Even though it was a forced pregnancy, it was still my child, and I had grown to love it. My love had grown stronger with each day that passed. I was both excited and anxious for the day that the child would come. Excited because I would hold my child for the first time and anxious because of the wrongness I felt that only grew stronger with each passing day.

'I wonder what my child will look like.' My mind wandered, failing to take in any of my surroundings.

I snapped back to reality as we landed and I looked around, confused. We were on the outskirts of a village. As we neared the village we were met by two women. One was young, in her teens, and she wore a lilac colored kimono, her brown hair tied into a loose ponytail with a dark purple ribbon. The old woman was tall, slender, and her gray hair was braided down her back. She wore the traditional garb of a priestess. Sesshomaru talked with the priestess and he looked back at me before the woman nodded and bowed her head.

The young woman made her way to me and bowed when she got close enough. "Mi'lady, we will gladly keep you here in our sanctuary until you give birth to your child."

Sesshomaru came to me and took the reins of A-Un. I knew he would be dumping me somewhere but it still hurt that he was actually doing it.

"Lord Sesshomaru, can I stay with Lady Angel while she has the baby?" Rin’s question surprised me and I watched Sesshomaru, trying to gauge his reaction.

"I will be back after the child is born to pick you both back up." His eyes didn't leave mine as he gave Rin permission.

She squealed with glee and climbed off of Kilala who immediately turned into a little cat again, knocking Jaken to the ground. I slid off of the two headed dragon and unfastened my bag that slid off and landed with a soft thud on the ground. The young woman bent to pick it up, surprised by the weight.

I didn't say anything as Rin grabbed my hand, holding it tightly. I merely looked at the ground, saddened.

"Rin, follow the young woman." Sesshomaru's order was quiet as he continued to stare at me.

Rin giggled and skipped after the young woman who was carrying my bag away. I felt a hand move under my chin as Sesshomaru tilted my head to look into his golden eyes. My breath hitched as electricity sparked between us again. His eyes glowed and sparkled as he stared into my eyes. He let go of my chin and, after Jaken was sitting on A-Un, they took off.

I brushed the tip of my fingers over the place where Sesshomaru had touched me. I was confused by the gesture, wondering what exactly he meant. I knew he didn't really care for me, I was nothing but a problem to him.

"Priestess, follow me." The old woman's voice was strong, completely unlike the normal old lady-ish tones you got from the elderly.

I waddled after her, hoping beyond hope that there was a very comfortable place for me to rest. We walked up a short flight of stairs, the woman waiting patiently for me to slowly ascend. We made it to a tall and wide door way. She bowed and left. Unsure, I stepped inside.

I was alone in the large hallway. The walls were made of a dark wood and were bare. The floor had a long beige runner that seemed to go the length of the long hall. There were many doors leading out of the hallway and at the very end stood a massive painting that depicted a woman and a child, their backs turned towards me, standing under a very tall tree with beautiful pink flowers all over it, some of the petals seemed to drift in the wind.

A girl popped out of one of the doors, looking at me. "My apologies!" She was breathless. She bowed deeply to be before rushing off again. She glanced behind her to see if I was following, which I wasn't. She rushed back to me. "Follow me please." She ran off and I slowly followed.

She waited patiently for me at the end of the hall. When I reached it, she went to the left, stepping down a single step, and opening a door on the right hand side. I followed her as a sharp pain shot across my stomach causing me to flinch.

"Are you okay, Mi'lady?" She was genuinely concerned, her eyebrows furrowed in worry.

"I'm fine, just tired." My voice was breathless as I approached her.

She seemed to accept the answer and bowed again, her arm extending into the room. "This will be your room. There are a few healing maidens here, one will be with you shortly."

I stepped into the room and she closed it behind me. Rin was sitting on a large bed that was made of the same dark wood as the rest of the house. The bed had red covers and so many pillows that I would drowned in them.

There was a writing desk with several sheets of paper, a quail pen, and a jar of ink. There was a short book case next to the desk that housed a few book, and lastly, there were two smell tables on each side of the bed. All of the furniture was made of the same wood. The only thing that brought any of it out was the gold leafing designs that each had.

I sat on the bed beside Rin, looking out the large window that took up half the wall. I put my arm around her shoulders and she leaned against me, rubbing my stomach with one of her hands. We watched the sun begin to set in the sky. The baby kicked again and another sharp paid crossed over my body, making me tense.

Rin sat up, concern in her eyes. Before she could ask if I was okay, there was a sharp knock at the door and a woman entered the room. She seemed to be in her mid-forties, her graying black hair pulled into a bun, her bangs framing her face. Her eyes were hazel and her cheeks were rosy.

"I've been told that you are expecting a child really soon." She flashed me a very pretty, white smile, her accent clearly from Europe.

"Yes." Was merely all I said as I rubbed my stomach, another pain zipped across my stomach.

"From the looks of it, not to far from now. How close are those pains?" Her voice was matter of fact and showed hints of concern.

"Ranging from ten to twenty minutes."

She merely nodded and came to stand in front of me. She was a large woman, wearing English skirts that were a dark brown. She placed her hands on both sides of my stomach.

"Yes, I'd say sometime tomorrow." She nodded, sure of herself.

The maiden left and came back shortly with a jug of water and two glasses. "Drink plenty of fluids." She sat them on the table closest to the door. "My name is Annabelle, by the way. You can call me Annie though. I'll be your Mid Wife for the delivery." She lowered her head to me and left the room.

Rin and I changed into sleep attire and we both climbed into bed. It had been a long day and I was overly exhausted. Rin passed out as soon as her head hit the pillow. I, on the other hand, stared at the ceiling, still curious about Sesshomaru's touch.

I looked over Rin and out the window. My stomach filled with unease and a feeling of pure darkness creeped over me. I climbed out of bed and pulled the curtains closed. Getting back in bed, the feeling didn't ease. Instead, it intensified. I left the lamp burning beside me, afraid to be in the dark.

I forced my eyes shut, willing the evil feelings to leave and cursing my senses that allowed me to feel them. I was generally freaked out. I took a deep breath and opened my eyes. 'No one is in the room with you besides Rin. Get a grip!' I chanted that in my head as I looked around the room to reassure myself.

Sighing, I closed my eyes again, ignoring the dark feelings, and slowly drifted off to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy