Status: I will continue to write on this story, just give me time. My married life and my son are both demanding ^.^

Unbroken

Nightmare

I slowly came to. My body ached and my head hurt. I didn't open my eyes, I was only aware of my body and the extremely bright light that shown in my eyes.

I was in a very uncomfortable bed that had me inclined a little instead of lying flat. I moved my right arm so I could rub my eyes and I felt a sharp pain and a pull. Startled, I opened my eyes.

I was in a large hospital room. The walls were painted a very light green and a window that covered the wall to my right let in the bright light that had been shining in my eyes. Beneath the window was a couch that had a pillow and a rumpled blanket on it, a large green duffel bag, and a crossword puzzle book lying beside it. I looked above me and found a monitor, to my right, showing my pulse rate and blood pressure. It showed a happy face in the top corner, hopefully and indication that I was doing okay. Beside the monitor was a tall metal bag stand that had three bags hanging off of it. Their tubes went in a little machine that dictated how much I got of what and when.

Across from me there was a flat screen TV that was, thankfully, turned off and a white board with the date, doctor’s name, nurse’s name, and the time I was last visited. The board read June 19th.

The door to my left swing open and a nurse with large brown eyes, long dyed dark red hair, and black scrubs with mini mouse all over them walked into the room, her black and pink Nike's not making a sound.

She looked me over and smiled. "Glad to see you're awake Miss. Baxter. I'm your nurse, Rayne. How are you feeling?"

I rubbed my left temple with my hand. "I'm starving, achy, and my head is pounding."

"I'll see if I can get Dr. Charles to write you a prescription for the pain. Let me check your vitals first though."

"Rayne, how long have I been here?" I was confused by the date. The last time I had been with my family was in September. That meant that I had had my baby sometime in May.

"You've been in a coma for about two and a half weeks."

My mind reeled. 'Two and a half weeks!?' I couldn’t believe it. My mind was still foggy on the details that led me to be in a hospital, however, my mind stuck to the fact that I had a child somewhere.

"Where's my son?"

The nurse's face grew really sad and she placed her clipboard under her arm and grabbed my hand. "Oh honey." She paused, unsure. "Your son died in the car accident that brought you here."

My world shattered, the light from the sun grew darker, the noises from the hall grew fainter, and my heart pounded with such intensity that it caused an alarm to go off on the machine.

As soon as the nurse muted the annoying alarm, the door opened again and my mother waltzed into the room. She nearly dropped the coffee she had in her hand when she saw me awake.

The nurse, seeing an escape, quickly made it to the door. "I'll leave you two alone." She shut the door behind her and my mother rushed to my side, placing her coffee on the table beside my bed.

"Oh Angel!" She seemed so relieved. "I was worried about you! When Kagome told me what happened, I thought I would lose you!"

"Kagome?" My brain stuttered for a minute on that name. 'That's right, Kagome is my best friend.' "Mom, what happened?"

She looked confused. "You mean you don't remember?" I shook my head. She looked like she had just been hit by a truck. "Well, this Sessho....whatever his name is caught up with his brother....something yasha.... and he went to fetch Kagome who came and got me. Kagome told me that Sessho...um..." She sighed. "That the guy you were with left you at a temple to give birth to your child. When he came back, he found the place in ruins. The little girl you were with was crying beside you, trying to shake you awake, poor girl. He took you to find his brother, knowing that you needed modern help. His brother took you to Kagome and Kagome's mother and I came up with the story about the car accident." She finished and took a deep breath.

"What about my son?"

She averted her eyes. "According to the little girl, some smoke creature took him away after attacking you and leaving you for dead."

All of the events that led to my child's kidnapping flooded back into my memory. I sat up and reached to pull the needle out of my arm.

"Angel Renee Baxter, what in God's Green Earth do you think you're doing?" her tone was instantly harsh and I flinched, retracting my hand from the tube running into my arm. She continued, "You will sit here until Dr. Charles gives you the okay to leave." Her face and voice softened. "I understand that you need to go find your son, but to be able to do that you must first take after yourself." She handed me a bottle of foundation. "I've been using that to keep your marking covered up."

I leaned back against the pillow that had slid to my back. I suppose the only bonus of being knocked out for three weeks was that I lost all the weight I gained being pregnant.

Mom walked over to the couch and pulled out something from the duffel bag. "Kagome took this off of you before you were brought here." She walked back over to me. In her hands was the sapphire necklace that she had given me. She placed it around my neck and fastened it once more.

She sighed, gave me a small smile, the bent down and kissed my forehead. "I love you mom." My voice was quiet, but she heard me nonetheless.

"I love you too, sweetie."

She grabbed her coffee from the table and sat on the couch, turning on the TV. I turned my head, looking out at the sky, wondering when I would be able to leave to go find my son. I lost track of time, my mind wandering, not really focusing on one thing or another. The only prominent thing was my son's different colored eyes simply looking at me with such intelligence as the Smokey Woman held him in her arms.

The door creaked open and a male nurse with sandy brown hair, freckles, and dark green scrubs wheeled in a tray that housed two trays of food, two glasses, and a pitcher of water. He handed one to my mother and the other he placed on a metal table that could easily fit over the bed. He placed the glasses on the table and filled them both up with ice water. He gave a small nod and backed out of the room.

I quickly lifted the lid off of my tray, the aroma of steamed broccoli, mashed potatoes, and turkey met my nose and my stomach instantly growled. I grabbed the salt and pepper packets, opened them, and sprinkled them over the food. I grabbed my little plastic fork and dug in, barely tasting the food.

My mother watched me with a look of shock on her face. She cleared her throat and I looked at her, a large stem of broccoli in my mouth. She glared at me and I swallowed, flashed her a grin, and slowed down on my eating.

After forever, I finally finished eating and grabbed the small bowl of mixed fruit. I picked up my plastic spoon and enjoyed the cherries, pears, pineapples, and whatever else was in in. When I was fully finished, I rubbed my happy stomach. That was the best food I had eaten in, well, three and a half weeks.

When I was finished, the doctor came in. He was a tall, thin man with salt and pepper hair, a five o'clock shadow, and he wore a light blue dress shirt with black slacks and a black tie.

"Good morning Miss. Baxter. Glad to see you are awake." His voice was deep and he sounded very tired. "Now that you are awake, we want to keep you one more night for observation then, if all goes well, we can get you home tomorrow." He looked down at the clipboard that was in his hands. "How's your headache and body aches?"

I thought for a minute, "My head is loads better now that I've eaten and my body is still a little sore but not too bad."

"Okay then." He smiled at me. "I'll let the nurse know that we will be releasing you tomorrow if all goes well tonight." He turned and walked out of the room.

I sighed. One more night and I could go back to the Feudal Era and find the evil bitch who stole my son. One more night and I could hunt her down and cut her head off and mount in on a pike in my front yard. I shook my head, my anger surprising me. Then, out of nowhere, a yawn hit me.

"Take a nap sweetie, I'll wake you for dinner."

I adjusted my pillow and got as comfortable as I could and drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

When I woke, it was well into the night. The sky was lightening up so the sun would be rising soon. My mother laid on the couch with an arm flung over her eyes and the blanket wrapped around her legs. I looked at the clock on the wall. '6:43' I groaned.

After about twenty minutes of staring at a dark corner, a nurse quietly walked in to check my vitals. She jumped when I turned to look at her. "You startled me." She whispered, looking at my mother.

"Sorry." I shot her a smile. "When will I be able to leave?"

"The doctor usually gets here at about 7:30. He will draw up your papers and have you sign a release form. You probably won’t get out of here till nearly 9."

"Can you get these tubes out of me? I want to take a shower and I really need to use the bathroom."

She smiled. "Sure!" She walked over and quietly turned off the iv machine. She got some bandages out of a drawer and pulled the plastic tube out of my arm. She bandaged me and helped me sit up. "Will you need help getting to the bathroom?"

"I'm not sure."

She lowered the rail on my left and helped me stand. My knees were shaky and my legs were weak. I gripped her arm for stability and together, we slowly made our way to the restroom. "I can take it from here, I think."

"Okay, Hun. If you need help, just pull this string." She pointed to a string dangling on the wall. It was red and the sign above it red 'in case of emergency, pull.'

I shut the door after she left and turned on the water in the shower. I grabbed the shower head and pulled it to me. I loved showers with the hand held showers. I sat down on the plastic shower chair proceeded to douse my body with water and all the soap I could find. There was a crappy two blade razor in there too and I managed to shave under my arms and legs without cutting myself. I dumped all of the conditioner that was in the two little bottles and rubbed it through my hair.

"Honey, are you okay?" My mom opened the door and peeked in.

"Oh my GOD this feels so GOOD!" I was enjoying my shower. I looked at mom, her eyes huge. "Ew, not like that! Bathing! Bathing feels good!"

She silently shut the door, giggles escaping her. I rinsed my hair and got out of the shower. I wrapped one huge fluffy green towel around me and another, smaller, green towel around my hair. I walked back into the room and glanced at the clock. I had spent nearly an hour in the shower and only had about thirty minutes to go before I should be able to leave.

I walked to the bed. Mom had already laid out a pair of black yoga pants, and light pink tank top, my black Nike's, and a matching pair of panties and a bra, each a light yellow. I quickly changed and my mother came back into the room carrying a sack with a ton of papers in them. I walked back into the bathroom, carrying the makeup that my mother had given me earlier, and applied it to my markings. I walked back into the hospital room, eyeing my mother who sat on the couch.

"Well, it looks like you're a free woman now." She grinned, clearly happy. "I got tired of sleeping on that object they call a couch." She began to gather up our belongings and, each of us carrying a bag, we walked out of the room.

We maneuvered our way through the maze that is a hospital and to the parking garage where moms Honda awaited. We climbed in, each not saying a word. She backed out of the space and began going in circles to get out of the large garage.

"I suppose you want to go on to Kagome's and head back." She sounded sad, like she didn't want me to go yet."

"Yeah, I need to find Katsuro." I looked out my window at the people walking along the sidewalk.

"Katsuro, huh? What a nice name. Tell me about him." I looked to mom and smiled.

"Well, he has two different colored eyes, one is blue, like mine, and the other is red. He has a blue stripe on each cheek and the thickest black hair you have ever seen on a baby."

Mom stared off, clearly picturing her grandchild in her head. "Well, he sounds mighty cute."

I smiled sadly and looked at my hands. "I've got to find him, mom."

"I know, Sweetie, and you will." She stopped in front of Kagome's house and together we walked into the large house.

"ANGEL!" Kagome screamed and gave me the largest hug imaginable. "I am so glad you are okay! When Inuyasha brought you to me I was so scared!"

I hugged her back, thankful that I had such a wonderful friend. "Kagome, I need to go back. My son was taken from me, stolen. I need to find him."

I took a step back, tears glistening in her eyes. She thought for a minute then nodded. "I want to help."

I smiled at her. "I'd love that."

My mother and Kagome's mom were deep in conversation when Kagome ran off. After about ten minutes, she bounded down the stairs holding a large yellow bag over her shoulder.

"Mom, grandpa, Sota, I am going with Angel."

They all smiled at her and they all said their goodbyes and be safes. I walked over to my mom and gave her the biggest hug. We silently hugged each other, neither one of us wanting to let go. Mom sighed and kissed me on the forehead. "Go find my grandson."

I smiled at her and turned to Kagome. "Do you know where my weapons are?"

"I believe Sesshomaru has them."

"Great." I rolled my eyes. "So first I have to find Sesshomaru before I can find my son. He best pray he isn't hard to find."

Kagome laughed and we waived goodbye before heading outside and to the well house. I opened the door for Kagome and together we walked down the steps. We each looked down into the black depth of the well before looking at each other. We were about to start a quest together, one that could turn either way. One that would test me more than anything has ever tested me my entire life.

I sighed and closed my eyes, still hating the height of the well. Kagome grabbed my hand, and like the first time, we jumped into the well together, traveling though time, and into the past.