Status: I will continue to write on this story, just give me time. My married life and my son are both demanding ^.^

Unbroken

His Love, My War

Sesshomaru darted off into the woods, following whatever scent that he had sensed, leaving me alone in the creepy fog.

I quickly darted off after him and once I fought through the thorns and thickets, I took a good look at my surroundings.

Sesshomaru stood in the middle of the clearing in front of a large stone building. He stood near Inuyasha's group but far enough away that there was a good ten feet between them. They were facing off against Naraku and the battle hadn't even really started yet.

Inuyasha stood with his large sword poised, ready to attack. Sango was in a fighting stance, her weapon behind her. Miroku held his staff tightly, and Kagome stood proud with her bow in one hand and the other ready to lose the arrow that she had aimed at Naraku.

I took in the large stone building that stood behind Naraku. It was of black stone and stood two stories tall with nothing but slits for windows. I knew where I was. The memories that occurred while I was in that building hit me like a ton of bricks and I involuntarily took a step back, snapping a twig in the process.

"Ah, Akumi. How nice of you to join us." Naraku's voice touched me like a caress that sent a sickening shiver down my spine. "Now that I have completed the jewel, nothing can stop me Akumi. Join me and together we can rule this world!"

A tentacle shot out at me and I slashed at it with one of my scythes. A beautiful dark blue light erupted from by blade causing the flesh on the tentacle to melt completely. Naraku howled in rage and I quickly darted over to stand between Inuyasha and Sesshomaru. Kagome moved to stand beside me.

"Akumi!" Naraku yelled at me, obviously enraged.

"First off, my name isn't Akumi. Secondly, why the HELL would I join you!? You did nothing but torture me. You used me for your own selfish needs. You pitted me against my BEST FRIEND! You imprisoned me for over a month before bringing me to 'the dark side'!" I was furious and all I could see was red. How dare he!

"Angel?" Kagome’s voice seemed quiet and I instantly snapped out of it.

I looked at myself. I was hovering about a foot off the ground and I was glowing a soft blue. My scythes pulsed with power, fueled by my rage. I took a deep, relaxing breath and settled back down to Earth.

Naraku's laugh was so evil it made my skin crawl. "Well then, Akumi. If I cannot have you, then no one else can!" He flung a tentacle at me and Sesshomaru easily stopped it.

Then suddenly, Naraku began to change form into a hideous demon. His skin turned a dark brown, his bone structure completely changed, and his hair turned a pure white. He no longer looked even remotely human.

"He's fused with the Shikon Jewel!" Kagome was deeply concerned and frightened.

Sesshomaru unleashes an attack on Naraku, striking his body with his sword, trying to strike the jewel. Naraku quickly recovers and Kagome unleashes an arrow aimed straight for the jewel. Naraku moves and the arrow flies by him. I arched my blade at Naraku and a brilliant blue light engulfed him and Kagome quickly unleashed another arrow, this time it hit its mark.

The jewel quickly purifies and so does Naraku. His body floated in the air for a moment. I heard his voice in my head "Akumi, I...loved you. I'm sorry for all the pain I caused you. Please....forgive me." I merely nodded and he gave a small smile before disappearing completely. The completed jewel fell to the ground and Inuyasha quickly scooped it up. Together, Inuyasha and Kagome turned the jewel into a pure light before it completely disappeared.

I felt strange. I wasn't sure if I was sad, happy, relieved, or hurt. I collapsed to my knees. Sesshomaru merely walked off, back the way he came.

Kagome rushed over to me and sat in front of me. "Angel!" She gave me the biggest hug. "I was so worried about you! When you disappeared from Kaede's village and we couldn't find you, we thought the worst. We never stopped looking." She sat up, tears filling her eyes. "Your mom and dad have been so worried. When you disappeared, I had to go tell them what happened. My mom has been going to visit your mom every day to make sure she’s okay. She took the news really hard."

I gave Kagome a small smile, not really saying anything. She looked me over and ran her finger along one of the stripes on my cheek.

"You've changed." She commented quietly.

Inuyasha quickly retorted, "Yeah, she smells like a demon now." He was sarcastic, per usual.

"I'm not a demon." I mumbled and Kagome stood, helping me up.

"Come on, we need to get you home to see your family."

Sango, Miroku, and I rode on Kilala while Kagome and Shippo rode on Inuyasha's back. I stayed quiet, not really paying attention to where I was going or to my surroundings. I was merely here and that was it.

We reached the village that I first came to this era and we landed. Kagome linked her arm with mine and led me to the little hut that I had stayed in. Kaede met us at the door and she quickly looked me up and down.

"Ah, child. Ye are not the reincarnation of Haruki after all but the reincarnation of her unborn child. Ye have demon blood coursing through your veins."

"Haruki's unborn child?" Kagome was obviously curious.

"I had a dream about Haruki and Midoriko the night that I left." My statement was quiet but everyone turned to look at me. I began to explain my dream, remembering every detail as if I had lived it.

Kaede nodded. "It goes with legend, however some things are different. But that is normal when a story gets told from generation to generation."

"Kaede, I would love to stay, but I need to take Angel home. Her mom misses her so much." Kagome rubbed my back and Kaede nodded.

The two of us walked slowly through the village and across the fields of water. I stopped and looked at my reflection. 'How will my mother react to this?' My mind was wandering in every direction, not really grasping onto one set thing.

We walked up the hill leading to the well. Kagome and I reached the side of the well. We stood there together, looking into the depths.

"Are you ready?" Kagome's voice was soft as she looked at me, her eyes filled with concern.

I nodded, took a deep breath, and the two of us jumped. I didn't close my eyes this time but watched. A bright pink light surrounded us as we journeyed from past to present and before long we were sitting in a dark well with a structure over it. Kagome climbed the ladder and I followed her.

She linked her arm with mine again and we walked to her house. "Why don't you clean up and change here. I still have your overnight bag."

We walked into Kagome's house and Kagome's mom squealed in delight and gave me a very big hug. She instantly knew who I was. She held me at arm’s length. "Your appearance has changed a little since I saw you last, Angel, but I would recognize you anywhere."

I gave a true genuine smile to Kagome's mom before following Kagome up the steps. She handed me my bag, grabbed a towel, and I walked into the bathroom.

I really looked in the mirror, taking in my entire reflection. My face was smeared with dirt but you could easily make out the marking on my cheeks and forehead. I would never be able to live a normal life with these marking. My hair was still a very light blonde with blue underneath. It hadn't grown out much since I had left with Kagome. I turned the water on, making it hot enough to loosen my muscles but not hot enough to burn.

After I showered, I dried off. I dug in my bag, finding a tank top, blue jean shorts, flip flops, and a hair tie. I pulled my hair into a ponytail and put on my clothes. Slipping on my shoes I stepped out of the bathroom and went to Kagome's room.

Kagome was laying on her bed, reading a book. She sat up when she saw me. "You ready?"

"I think so. Do you think my mom will recognize me?" I was concerned.

"I believe so. You look pretty much the same. My mom recognized you no problem."

"Yeah, but she’s used to this sort of thing. My mom isn't."

"We won’t know until we find out." Kagome walked out of the room and I followed her. "First, I have an idea about your markings."

We made it downstairs and Kagome left me in the living room while she went to talk to her mom. After about ten minutes, Kagome and her mom came into the living room. Kagome sat a bag on the table beside me and Kagome's mom pulled a chair up in front of me.

"Let’s see if we can work some makeup magic." Kagome's mom smiled and opened the bag.

I closed my eyes. I hated makeup so I chose to ignore what she was putting on me. In about ten minutes, she was done and she handed me a mirror. I looked in the mirror, amazed at my reflection. You couldn't see a single mark on my face. I gave Kagome's mom a huge hug.

"Thank you Mrs. Higurashi!"

"You're very welcome, dear. Now get home and see your mom. She's been worried sick about you."

Kagome and I left the house and walked down the steps of the shrine. My scythes, sheaths, and armor were at Kagome's house to get cleaned. We walked slowly and the closer we got to home, more nervous I became. As we walked, I would catch people giving me strange glances and taking a wide path around me.

"Kagome, why does everyone seem afraid of me?"

She looked me up and down. "It could be that they sense your demonic aura."

I groaned and we continued walking. We reached the door to my house and Kagome knocked on it. My mother answered the door. "Hi Kigo-." She stopped as her eyes made contact with mine.

I didn't say as word as I rushed to my mom and hugged her, her arms wrapping around me and holding me close to her.