Status: Thanks for taking the time to read my work. I'd love comments or suggestions on how to improve this story.

The Army

Meeting

“Give us the money, or we’ll chop your bloody head off!” Challenged Nova while pacing in a slow, precise circle, around the poor beggar. He wore only a pair of tattered, dirt-crusted pants, and a makeshift pair of shoes. His entire body was brown, from either dirt, or from the long hours under the unforgiving sun. His face was wild with disgust.
“You and your worthless Army can all go to hell. This planet would be better off without you.” Spit the beggar, now on his knees. “Aynsley, kill him. Now.” Ordered Nova, coming to halt while doing so, so that the beggar had no choice but to look at her.
“You got it Nova…” Replied Aynsley with an eerie calm, while approaching the mendicant, pulling out a long sword in the process. “Oh god, please no, I was joking, I was joking! Please, I’m begging you; I have the money righ-” Cried the poor man, his plea being cut off by the slicing of Aynsley’s sword, right through his throat. The gentle thud of his body collapsing on to the soft, red dirt echoed through the unusual silence of The Main.
“Now,” began Nova, turning to face the horrified spectators, revealing blood stains on her almost white shirt, “Let this be a lesson to you all, no one messes with us. If anyone feels like they don’t need to pay us, they you’ll end up like our poor friend here.” She moved out of the way to let the spectators see the bleeding body. People gasped, a few even fainted. It took only a matter of seconds for people to begin to loot the bodies of the unconscious. Nova smiled fiendishly before turning to her Army and signalling them to head home.
The Army was the most powerful gang on the remnants of this planet once called Earth. Lead by Nova Herondale, on the most vicious fighters on the planet, they were unstoppable. Not only that, they had the largest weapons armament out of all of the different factions on the planet, including the Royal Guard, despite their support form Arcadia.
Arcadia was the planet that the human population moved to after they themselves destroyed Earth. The poor, or the unlucky, were left behind to die. Centuries later, many humans returned to Earth, but not by choice. It was an initiative started years ago by the Arcadian government. It was called the Pure Initiative. Essentially, the government set a strict set of guidelines that the population had to live by if they wanted to be deemed “Pure.” If they did not abide by the guidelines, even in the slightest form, they would be deemed “Impure” and as punishment, be sent to live on Earth.
This being said, most people’s visits to Earth were very, very short. Out on all the Impures sent to Earth, only approximately 1 in 10 survived longer than a month. This had resulted in the fact that Earths’ population consisted of only the toughest, most hardened people. Which complicated things even more.
The Royal Guards’ job on Earth was to keep the peace, but Earth hadn’t been peaceful in over 10 years, when the Army first started. The population of Earth was simply tougher than most of the Guard. It was total chaos, and Nova wouldn’t have it any other way. Despite what the Guard may say, Nova was the one who called the shots on Earth.
The Army arrived back at their secluded base, and the entire group piled into the meeting room. The room was large, but it was crowded due to the immense table and numerous chairs. Nova stood at one end, and everyone filed in around her. They sat according to rank, the highest closest to Nova, and the lowest furthest from her.
Once everyone settled into their seats and quieted down, Nova began, as usual, her lengthy speech. “Alright, let’s get to it shall we. Well to start, I’d like to personally thank Wren and Rynn for sneaking into the Arcadian Embassy and placing cameras throughout the building, completely undetected. I expect you all to take the time to thank them as well after this meeting.
“I’d also like to thank Emerson who just returned from a very long journey scouting out far to east of here. Additionally, before we really get into it, I’d like to officially welcome Orion, the newest member of our little Army. I envisage you will all welcome him with open arms. Orion, I hope you aware that you are now apart of the most powerful faction on the planet. Make us proud.
“Now, as I’m sure you are aware, there have been a couple new circles on the rise. There are two in particular that have been gaining momentum as of late: The Jackals, and The Hell Raisers. I’m not bringing them up just because I feel like it. I’m bringing them up because we are going to do something about them. In fact, in two days times, we’re going to get rid of them. Fallynn will be leading the charge against The Hell Raisers, whilst Aynsley will lead the charge against The Jackals. I’ll now read off the names of the people who will be assisting them. With Fallynn: Vex, Urban, Xanthe, Jules, Isaiah, Quinn, Knox, Boone, and Rhian. . With Aynsley: Asher, Lorne, Gunnar, Iris, Harley, Walker, Wren, Rynn, and Cassius.
“As for the rest of you, don’t worry, there are plenty of other things to be done. Luca and Ryker you’ll be running letters to Lux Adler and Greer Brosnan in Alexandria, also Briar Geschwader in Wolves’ Ridge.
“Electra, Bentley, Logan, Ari, Emerson, Bandit, Sloane, Kai, Wild, Seth, and Amara you’ll all be on protection rotation this week, the schedule will be posted by tomorrow morning in the dining hall. Oh and before I forget, Orion, I’ll be giving you the grand tour of Earth. Explain the different factions and what belongs to whom. You get the idea.
“If anyone has any questions or concerns, speak them now before I give to Aynsley the right of speech.” Lectured Nova, as she sauntered slowly along the front of the room. She then turned to face the group, waiting for questions. Before long, Isaiah chimed in.
“So, uh, for the whole taking out the factions things. You gave Aynsley nine people and Fallynn nine people. Yet, The Hell Raisers have a much larger number than The Jackals. Should we not get more people just due to the ratio?” He asked, hesitant.
Nova stared at Isaiah with a regard of sheer disbelief. “Yes Isaiah, I gave both groups the same amount of people. Do you really have an issue with that? Are you really questioning the efficacy of your family and yourself? Do you really believe you won’t be able to do it with ten people? Ten of the best fighters on the planet? Isaiah, I should be able to send no one but you and the job should still get done with ease. If you aren’t able to single-handedly kill about a thirty or so total idiots, who I doubt have ever actually gotten into a serious fight, then what are you doing amongst us?” Snapped Nova, incredulous, “Now, any other questions? Let me rephrase that, any important and, or relevant questions?”
Everyone chuckled quietly, and Isaiah lowered his head into his hands in utter embarrassment. No other questions were asked. Nova looked to Aynsley, giving her permission to speak. Aynsley nodded at Nova and stood up from her chair.
“Thanks Nova. I’ve got quite a few things I need to overview with you all, so I’ll try as best I can to keep it short and sweet. For starters, I’m planning another public bloodbath thing, this time in front of the Arcadian Embassy. Just by a show of hands, who would be interested in participating? Okay, so Nova, Fallynn, Boone, Wren, Rynn, Luca, Knox, and Quinn. Good, eight people, that’ll do.
“Next, I’ve got some kill orders for this week that need taken care of, any takers? Well then, Wild you’ll be going after Colt Haynes. Emerson you’ll take care of Bahari Sow. Seth you’re killing Dorian Bunch. Cassius you’ll take out Veda Alok. Lastly, Vex you’re going to kill Arturo Valentine. As you guys know, I don’t care how you do it, or really when you do it. So long as I have confirmation of their deaths by next Friday, I don’t care what happens. At the end of the meeting come and see me and I’ll give you all some portfolios on your targets. Oh, and I have a bit of a special project for you, Orion. Come and see me after.
“Also, as of late, I’ve been working on some more unarmed combat strategies. If any of you are interested in picking up a couple new tricks from yours truly, then come and see me at the Training Area, Sunday and Monday night, at eight. I expect that those who find unarmed challenging will be there, you know who you are. Orion, I would suggest that you come as well.
“Oh, and during the course of last week, a handful more of people have been added to our Kill on Sight list. The unlucky bastards are; Max Fredericks, Perry Ferguson, Benni Overton, and Ramona Blackwater. Pictures of these lowly filth will be posted later in the Dining Hall and on the bulletin board.
“Finally, it’s the moment you’ve all been waiting for… it’s time to announce last week’s winner for Kill of the Week. The candidates are the following: Boone, who killed a rude, mouthy old man by shoving a rock down his throat, Vex, who manually dislocated every single joint of some beggar before throwing her into the river, Jules, who killed three men by shishkebabing them all onto his sword, and finally, Seth, who stabbed his last kill order 104 times, to death, using a pen.
“After a very long discussion, Nova, Fallynn, and I have decided that last week’s winner is… Seth. Congratulations, brother. There’s still no prize, but at least you can say you won, right? The winners from this week will be announced at the next meeting.
“Well I guess that’s all from me… Any questions?” Announced Aynsley jovially, scanning the group the entire time. Boone’s hand shot up.
“Yeah, I’ve got a bit of a complaint… Why in the world did Seth win? I mean my kill was a true work of art. There was irony and everything. I understand that his really hurt, but there was no… creativity behind it. C’mon you guys, admit it, I was the true winner this week.” Debated Boone, using his hands to express himself the whole time. Aynsley did not answer she simply smiled. The rest of the group laughed heartily.
Abruptly, Fallynn stood up from her chair. Her accusatory stare stifled the laughter nearly immediately, which was her goal. Her intimidating appearance had once quieted an entire street of people.
She stood at an astonishing six foot two. She had extremely long jet-black hair, which fell nearly to her hips. She also had straight across bangs, which concealed her entire forehead. Her piercing, icy blue eyes, which were always lined with heavy black eyeliner, where the kind of eyes that could gaze right into your soul. Her pale face was sharp and angular, almost troublingly so. She always wore her long, leather trench coat and some sort of black clothing underneath. If there were one person in The Army that people might fear more than Nova, it would be, without a doubt, Fallynn, due simply to her look.
“Enough. Seth and I both have some things that we need to go over so let’s not waste any time. I suppose I’ll start now. I don’t have much to say this week, just some news that we all need to be aware of.
“First, the Peoners, with our permission, are doing a blitz this week, this essentially meaning that they’re going to try and grab as many people as they can and turn them all into slaves. Those of you who are on protection duty this week, if ever any of the Peoners are attacked you are to help them.
“Next, there have been multiple rumours floating around that the Royal Guard have been trying to locate our base in an attempt to infiltrate it. It’s quite possible that these rumours are false, but it’s not something that we can take lightly. All of this to say that you must all be even more cautious when leaving and returning to our base. If ever you see a Royal Guard member, you are to kill them on sight and let either Nova or I know as soon as possible.
“Also, a little bird told me that Sanctuary workers are going to be protesting in front of our Public Service Office. This little bird of mine didn’t know the exact date, but it’s supposed to be very soon. If ever any of you are in The Main and notice their protest, you are to immediately report back here so that we may assemble a group of people to kill them all.
“Finally, there have been lots of public riots in Eastgate as of late. People there are quite upset that Callum Breaker, the mayor, for all intents and purposes, of Eastgate has signed an agreement with us regarding cutting a percentage of their profits. He has contacted us to say that there is a group of people from Eastgate making plans to come here and confront us. He will inform us of any new developments as the story progresses. Just be aware that there are a lot more people than usual who are very mad at us.
“I don’t care to listen to any snide remarks,” – she looked at Boone - “but if anyone has a question, they may ask it now.” Addressed Fallynn with a serious tone, her fists resting on the table as she leaned on it the entire time.
“Yeah, who or what exactly is Sanctuary? And why are they protesting against us?” Questioned Orion quietly.
“Well Orion, Sanctuary is a place in which beggars can, if they’re earnest enough, find refuge. Fairly good idea, is in not? Unfortunately, its run by a bunch of religion obsessed, God worshiping, brainwashed idiots. Due to their stupid Bible or whatever, they believe that we’re all the spawn of the Devil or something. Anyway, they hate our guts because they think we’re the bad guys on this planet.” Replied Fallynn, pleased that someone asked a pertinent question. She looked around the room to see if anyone else had any other questions to ask before turning to Seth, allowing him to speak. Fallynn settled down into her chair, and just as soon Seth shot up from his.
“Thanks sister. So I’ve only really got two things that I need to tell you all.
“The first being that you all need to come and see me whenever you have time to receive a vaccination against that nasty new disease floating around. You know, the one that eats away at your skin, and brain cells until you die.
“The second being that once again, you must all come and see me to have the tracking device, that Knox and I have been working on, installed into your arm. Just know that we’re not doing it so that we can make sure you’re obeying orders at all times. It’s just so if something happens to any one of you, we’ll be able to see where you are. It’ll also help Nova keep tabs on everyone.
“That’s all I’ve got this week. Do you have anything to add Nova?” Stated Seth with contentment as he fiddled with the back of his chair.
“No Seth I don’t, so I suppose this week’s meeting is over. Notes from this meeting will be posted on the bulletin shortly. Those of you who must receive papers from Aynsley may do so right away. All hail The Army.” Exclaimed Nova, standing square to the table with her hands behind her back.
As soon as Nova finished speaking, in unison, everyone stood up from his or her chairs. “All hail The Army.” Chanted the entire group together, indicating the close of the meeting. Most people cleared out of the meeting hall, whilst the rest flocked to Aynsley to receive their papers.
Nova waited until everyone had left before clearing out herself. It was bright outside, and Nova was momentarily blinded by the sunlight. Once her eyes adjusted she saw her entire Army, all standing around in groups. It brought a smile to her face. Seth and Aynsley spoke cheerfully with Rynn and Wren. Walker, Cassius, Wild, Xanthe, Urban, Luca, and Bandit sat together on crates and logs. Boone and Knox wrestled spiritedly with each other while Emerson, Vex, Logan, Sloane, and Gunnar stood watching them with laughter. Iris, Lorne, and Jules were all welcoming Orion kind-heartedly. Harley and Asher stood together, all smiles. Amara, Electra, Bentley, and Kai were all inspecting Electra’s new weapon. Fallynn stood talking austerely with Ari. Ryker, Isaiah, and Rhian all listened while Quinn recounted to them a story. Nova always said that The Army was a family. It was moments such as that, which made her say such things. She walked over to Orion, the dead grass crunching beneath her feet.
“Alright Orion, so here’s what I’m thinking. You and I will tag along with Luca and Ryker when they go to Alexandria. From there, we’ll go to Eastgate. While we’re there I’ll have a chat with Callum Breaker. Then we’ll make our way back to The Main. After that we’ll head up to Wolves’ Ridge and see if they’ll let us in. Sound good?” Commented Nova as she approached Orion.
“Yeah, I guess so. I mean, I wouldn’t really know.” Replied Orion, slightly intimidated by Nova’s presence. He kept his head down, too afraid to make eye contact.
“Alright, I’ll go talk to Luca and Ryker right away to see when they plan on leaving. I’ll let you know as soon as I know.” Added Nova, indifferent. Orion nodded his head in acknowledgement before Nova strolled away towards Luca.
As she arrived in the circle in which Luca was sitting, conversation stopped immediately. “Carry on, I just need to ask Luca when Ryker and he anticipate heading to Alexandria to deliver those letters…?” Questioned Nova, placing her duteous hands into her pant pockets.
“Tomorrow, unless something else comes up.” He replied, standing up from the crate as a show of respect.
“Good. Orion and I will accompany you to Alexandria. Once there, we will part ways.” Affirmed Nova, before turning and leaving Luca to return to his social activities. She once again examined the expanse in which her family stood. For the most part, it was covered in dead grass; there were a few dirt pathways that had appeared due to such frequent traffic. To the north stood the infirmary, which Seth and Amara called home. To the west was the dinning hall, the central hub on the Army, the meeting room from which they had just cleared out of, and Nova’s personal quarters. To the south stood the armoury, and the quarters of the rest of The Army. Beyond the quarters was the Training Area, a part to which Aynsley laid claim. To the east there were no buildings, the Turgid Forest, which mostly surrounded The Army’s base, mainly exposed itself there.
Nova recalled when she and her older brother Nico Herondale had discovered the place. It was a complete accident, but it was the best accident of their lives. Had they have never found it, The Army would have never been founded.
The Army had for long time been Nico’s pride and joy. He had built it up from the ground, investing his entire life into it. However Nico had never been one who coped well with stress, so as his Army gained momentum, he was soon overwhelmed. He killed himself in the middle of the night by putting between his eyes. He left his precious Army in the care of his Second in Command, Nova.
She wished he could see what The Army was like now. After all, she had revered her brother for all of his accomplishments, and she sure as hell wanted to make him proud.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also, sorry for any spelling errors, this is just kind of a draft.