Status: Updates will be coming quickly over the next few days as I post the chapters I currently have written, then will be more spread out. Apologizes for flooding any inboxes.

The Ferelden Chronicles

It's 9:30 Dragon, and seventeen-year-old elven mage Varia Surana has already been set on her life path. She has just passed her Harrowing to become a fully-fledged mage in the Ferelden Circle of Magi, but then she discovers that her best friend is about to lose his very soul by being made a tranquil mage, and upon agreeing to help him the entire course of her life changes...

Leaving behind everything she has known for most of her life and joining the Grey Wardens to fight hordes of demonic entities known as darkspawn who are causing a Blight, she finds herself on the road and facing one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. What's worse, the most trusted military advisor of the king not only betrayed him and left him and his army - along with the Wardens - for dead in a massive battle with the darkspawn, but he has also publicly denounced the Grey Wardens and blamed them for the deed.

The task of putting an end to the Blight falls squarely upon the shoulders of Varia and the only other surviving Grey Warden in Ferelden - a former templar trainee named Alistair who she seems to have some sort of past connection to. In addition to fighting off the darkspawn, they must attempt to raise an army using ancient Grey Warden treaties made with the various peoples of the nation while also holding off those who would believe the lies of the traitorous General Loghain - who has now styled himself as Regent to his daughter, the queen.

Along the way, they pick up quite the ragtag group of companions: a chantry sister who believes joining them is a mission from the Maker, Himself; a Qunari warband leader who had been imprisoned for murdering an entire family over the loss of his sword; an elven assassin who had originally been hired by Loghain to take out the remaining two Wardens; an elderly enchanter from the Circle of Magi whose life is dependent upon a Fade spirit which brought her back from the brink of death; an apostate mage who happens to be the daughter of the infamous Witch of the Wilds, Flemeth; a stone golem with a personal vendetta against pigeons; and a dwarven warrior who is always drunk.

Together, the last two Wardens in Ferelden will struggle against forces even darker than they could have imagined, make decisions that will likely affect the fate of an entire nation and its peoples for years to come, take down a pair of tyrants who care for nothing but their own political gains, face an Archdemon head-on... and fall in love with one another while doing so.

Disclaimer: Dragon Age characters, settings, and any dialogue taken from the game ©BioWare. Varia belongs to me. This story contains major spoilers for the plot of Dragon Age: Origins. You have been warned!
  1. The Final Test
    Varia Surana is awakened late at night in order to be taken for her Harrowing by her mentor, First Enchanter Irving.
  2. A Harrowing Ordeal
    Varia undergoes her Harrowing and learns that things are not always as they seem in the Fade.
  3. The Warden's Arrival
    Varia awakens in the morning, following her Harrowing, to find a Grey Warden has come to visit Kinloch Hold and her best friend is in the middle of a personal crisis.
  4. Covert Plans and Affairs
    Varia discovers Jowan has been having a secret affair and is suspected of being a blood mage, and shares a brief moment with her own forbidden love - the templar, Cullen.
  5. A Betrayal of Trust
    Varia receives a gift from a friend, has a conversation with the Grey Warden about magic, and mistakenly places her trust in the man she has looked up to for most of her life.
  6. The Break-In
    Varia assists Jowan in his quest to destroy his phylactery, all the while having a heavy heart due to the knowledge of what fate awaits him once the task is completed.
  7. Leaving It All Behind
    Varia is shocked when Jowan reveals the true nature of his magic, and she makes the tough decision to leave the one she loves and all that she has ever known behind in order to save her own life.