Stay

another run in.

After moving back home to Toronto and transferring schools once again. I finally finished my Nursing degree. I also took the American along with the Canadian final RN Exam. Everyone though it was because of Tyler, but I had no idea where life was going to take me.

After graduation I was very lucky enough to attain a job with The Hospital of Sick Kids in Toronto. My job was had at times, but you had to take the good with the bad. I loved my job.

It was a crisp December day, I had just gotten home to my apartment that I shared with one of my best friends, Avery Marshall. She was a kindergarten teacher. We both loved our jobs, even if our schedules didn’t match up often anymore.

“You have tomorrow off, you have no excuses not to come.” Avery began. “We have free tickets.”
“I don’t want to go.” I told her.
“Brie, Brett is leaving me tickets and I have no one else to take.” She said.
“You have other siblings.” I told her. “I don’t want to see him.”
“He’s playing, you won’t even run into him.” Avery said.
“You’re going to want to see Brett afterwards.” I said. “I’m not chancing it.”
“It’s their only game in Toronto.” Avery said. “Pretty please.”
“Not happening.” I said.

After a whole night and half a day of bugging, I was sitting at the Air Canada Centre ready to watch the Dallas Stars take on the Toronto Maple Leafs. I was Canadian and all, so I loved my hockey but I hated seeing Tyler. I also should note, I was one of the rare few people who lived around Toronto and surrounding areas, who was not a Maple Leaf fan. I was sitting in an arena watching two teams I didn’t care for.

Not every memory of Tyler was bad, but the break up wasn’t easy. Even thou it had been a couple years, well two, it was still hard to see the guy you used to love and the one you though you were going to spend the rest of your life with.

The Leafs ended up winning the game 5-2 and we still had to go see Brett after the game, he and Avery met while he was in the OHL and happened to stay really good friends. She always went to see him play whenever she could.

I was not looking forward to being in that room waiting. I knew Tyler’s family was going to be there, I already ran into one of his sisters. I was still nice when I seen them, but it was still awkward since we had no idea what to say to each other.

“This just proves how much I love you as my best friend.” I said to Avery as we walked into the room.
“There will be something you want to do, and I won’t. Use this to get it.” Avery said.
“That will happen, don’t worry.” I told her.

Thankfully we didn’t have to wait forever for Brett to come out and see Avery. I gave them a few minutes of alone time. I just walked to the bathroom, and after I was finished and walking out. I took out my phone and wasn’t pay attention. A few seconds later, I ran into someone and had a hand around my arm. I shouldn’t have looked up.

“Brie.” Tyler said.
“I’m sorry Tyler.” I began. This was so awkward. “I wasn’t paying attention.”
“It’s okay. You okay?” He asked.
“I’m fine.” I said. There was a sudden silence.
“Derrek said you were in the other day.” Tyler said.
“I had to go over there for work, so decided to pop in. He looked really good.” I said.
“He was happy to see you.” Tyler said. “I’m happy I seen you, didn’t know if I would.”
“I was dragged here against my will.” I said. “I’m gonna go, see you Tyler.”

I started to walk away, I couldn’t try and have this small talk conversation with him. He was right behind me.
“Brie, I don’t have to leave till the afternoon, can we meet up for breakfast.” Tyler asked.
“I don’t think thats a good idea.” I said.
“Please, We haven't seen each other in months.” Tyler said. I tried not to leave that awkward run in at the Jays game.
“Fine.” I said.
“I’ll text you later.” Tyler said.
“See you.” I said.

I walked off towards Avery. Brett was walking away when I got back to her. I gave her a dirty look.
“You ran into Tyler?” She asked.
“We are having breakfast tomorrow be he leaves.” I told her.
“Maybe this is a good thing.” Avery said.
“I have no idea how this is a good thing. It’s going to be just an awkward meal.” I said.

We headed out of the arena and towards the parking lot. We got into her car and headed home. Before I even walked into our place, I had a Facebook message from Tyler, asking for my new number. Most of me, just wanted to ignore this message, so I wouldn’t have to see him. But a small part, and the part that replied and just gave it to him, was nervous for tomorrow.

Soon enough I had a text from a new number, I knew it was Tyler. We just talked about where we were going to go and when to meet. Nothing more, nothing less. I didn’t want to make too much of an effort right now.

The morning I woke up and got ready for the day. There was so many times, I though I should just cancel it. What would really have to talk about? It was going to be hard and awkward. Did I want to be with him again? Did he even want to be with me? I loved my job and couldn’t just pack up my life right now. I had so many thoughts running through my head.

I lived close enough to the place that I just walked. It wasn’t too cold of a day. I told Avery I was leaving and then headed out the door. When I was got there, it was pretty quiet, so I was grateful for that. I seen Tyler already sitting at the table, He stood up as I walked over and gave a quick hug. I sat down quickly afterwards as the waiter brought over menus.

“How’s things Brie?” Tyler asked.
“Good, working a lot. Hows Dallas?” I asked.
“Different, but a good different.” He said.

We placed our orders and then were alone again. We had some more small talk before our food got there. We started eating in silence. I had no idea what to say to him, it was hard since we use to be so close.

“Dating anymore?” Tyler asked. The question we both were wondering, but finally someone had the guts to ask.
“Nope. You?” I asked.
“Not really?” He said.
“Segs not using that Canadian charm in Dallas.” I said.
“Smart ass.” He said.

Things finally seem to be getting a little comfortable. I started to finally relax a little. We chatted some more as we finished up eating.

“Same bill.” the waiter asked?
“Yes.” “No.” we both said as the same time.

Tyler ended up winning and just paid for the whole thing. We walked out of the restaurant and down the road to the Tim Hortons. Since he got breakfast, I got Timmy's since he didn’t always get that in the states.

“I’m glad I got to see you again.” Tyler said.
“I actually am too. This wasn’t as bad as I though.” I said.
“Gee Thanks Brie.” Tyler said.
“Tyler, you know I don’t mean it like that, it’s still hard after all this time.” I said.
“I know. Maybe space was what we needed.” He began. “Do you think we can go back to actually being friends.”
“Are you sure its a good idea? I mean, it won’t be the same as when we were kids.” I said.
“We can try and see what happens.” Tyler said.

We said our goodbyes and headed off in different directions. I headed back to my placed. Avery wouldn’t be home yet. She was still in class. I knew she would expect full details of how everything went. I was happy that the awkward run ins could finally stop and it wouldn’t so weird when we were all together. I could only hope.
♠ ♠ ♠
got inspired by stay because i listen to fgl on a daily basis.
i tried to make the first chapter background so i didn't have to do alot of jumping around.
hope you like it.

enjoy xoxo.