Status: Active

Time Tester

Emma

A few months into University is what students call the 'For Fuck Sake' period. It lasts for the whole time you're at university (so I hear) and there are 3 different stages. This period is referring to something every single student goes through, the realisation that you pay £9000 to do a course when all you really do during the lectures is day dream, doodle or attempt to not fall asleep/ throw up from the hangover you have required from the previous night of heavy drinking. The stages are; 1, feeling a depressing doom looming over you that you have put yourself in fuck loads of debt for nothing other than a piece of paper. 2, feeling like you can get through it! Yes, you're in debt but you're going to get a bloody decent job at the end of it and you better wise up for these god damn lectures. 3, you don't care about the debt, lectures or qualification, you just want everything to slow the fuck down so you can continue living a life without a job. Personally, I'm still at Stage 1. I do my work but it depresses me, stresses me and makes me doubt why I even bother. If it wasn't for friends, and (very nagging) parents and of course the degree at the end of it, I would probably drop out.
Luckily for me, these kind of thoughts constantly get interrupted my Cassie. My best friend and de-stresser professional. Sometimes it can be a text or phone call, this time it was with a knock at my door.
"Come in." Cassie entered while I cleared some papers on my bed for her to sit down.
"Yo, Emmett just text, want to go to the Hut?" The Hut was a local pub & restaurant that the both of us plus our two other friends went to on the regular. It was cheap and tasty. What more could a broke student ask for? I looked across my bed at the unfinished work that was only dragging on for me to finish and shrugged,
"Sure." Everyone needs a break anyway. "When we going?"
"Meeting them in an hour." I nodded and started putting papers into piles and stashing them away and placing my laptop on my desk before I started pondering what clothes I was going to wear because some how I don't think Sherlock PJ bottoms and a tank top that says "pugs not drugs" on was quite gonna go down well in a social gathering.
"When's your deadline?" I proceeded to look for a pair of jeans while answering the question.
"Two weeks time. How was the presentation?"
"Like standing in front of 25 judgmental dick heads who just wanted to scrutinise every single word I said. So it went as expected. Have you spoken to Peter yet?" I signed as I slumped down next to Cassie, her hair automatically going straight in my face. Unlike me, she had hair that could go into other peoples faces. Mine was short, in a somewhat pixie cut I think people call it, it didn't fly anywhere other than bounce off my head when I walked or if it was windy.
"Nope."
"Why not?"
"It'll be awkward, Cass."
"It's Peter, talking to him on a normal basis is bloody awkward, Em! You know you can't just leave things up in the open. It'll only get worse." You know what's worse than Cass being right? Is Cass being right about a guy.
Both Peter and Emmett were close friends of ours, we've known them for years. However, when they went to college and we were still in our last year of school, we drifted apart. That was till we, unknowingly (we aren't stalkers) started going to the same university they had chosen a year prior. Long story short, we bumped into them and now we're talking as if those years apart never happened. I guess you could say I've always had a...'thing' for Peter. He was smart, charming and sweet and that attracted me to him. Nothing ever happened in all the years I have known him. Well, until Saturday that was. The boys had walked us back to our dorms after a night out (they always did) and instead of just a hug goodbye I was stupid enough to plant a full kiss on Peter's lips. An action I am deeply regretting. The four of us haven't since hung out together but I have seen him a couple of times on campus and a slight wave and rushing walk isn't exactly screaming "that random kiss you gave me?! Ohh! Completely forgot about it!"
So yes, I know I have to sort things out with him. Tell him the usual lies about it being a complete accident and I was completely out of it and I see him as nothing other than a friend. Just so it wasn't awkward. I don't want to ruin a great friendship over some stupid feelings that just won't go!

It wasn't long till I was beside Cassie, who was making idle chat between the four of us, with Peter awkwardly avoiding my gaze (which made me realise I was probably staring holes into his head).
"What are we all having?" Considering we had all eaten before I was going to go ahead and guess Emmett's question was referring to drink. Cassie replied with the usual fruit flavoured cider drink she always had (till she was drunk and would down anything put in front of her). I gave a simple shrug and pointed look at Cassie to have her suggest something. However, what shocked not just me but the other two as well, was what Peter said,
"I'll just have a coke." He never just has a coke.
"You never just have a coke." Emmett repeated the words I had just thought.
"I'm just not in the mood for a drink tonight." I shared another look with Cassie before she went and helped Emmett with the drinks, leaving me in very deep waters in front of someone who probably wouldn't save me from them right now.
Was he avoiding drinking because he didn't want to get drunk and have another mishap like the other night? ...Surely not...we all agreed just a couple and then back for a film. No-one is in the mood for a heavy drinking session today so maybe I was over thinking it?
I jumped at the sound of him clearing his throat, instantly regretting it because he looked straight at me, an action he obviously regretted because it made both of us turn stupidly red. Oh for fuck sake! Why is it so awkward?! There is no need for it! Do it, Emma. Tell him to man the fuck up! Do it! DO IT!
"Peter-"
"Finally, fucking bar women was fit, mate. She's new." Cassie rolled her eyes and set my single vodka and coke in front of me, she knows me.
"Stop being a perv. Women should be able to work without idiots like you drawling over them." Peter switched his shocked face from looking at me to laughing with Emmett. I shouldn't be pissed at them for coming back at the completely wrong time because in all honest truth, I had no idea what I was going to say.
Idle chit chat yet again passed between the four of us, never between Peter and I directly of course, and after another hour and another drink we decided to head back to their place for a film or two. Ditching the pub's brick walls and comfy seat interior for a 'lads pad' that was messy, cold and always smelt like Chinese food. Luckily, Cass and I were used to this and actually had a blanket stowed away in Peter's room with spare slippers and we always managed to get the guys to agree to a chippy before we went in.
Under the blanket, slippers on, chippy in our laps with Cass's and I legs crossed over each others (we've done this for years and still have no clue why) and Wreck It Ralph playing, we were officially set for a night of avoiding whatever awkward tension was slowly rising between Peter and I.
Once the credits were rolling, Cass threw away our paper from the chip shop and Emmett made us all another cup of tea, I saw this as an opportunity and I was going to take it baby!
"Look, Peter, we have to stop this awkwardness! It was a stupid little thing and it's creating tension between everyone!" Once I said it I realised just how much I had needed to say it. It's only been a matter of days but I had missed being able to talk to the guy!
"Why did you do it, Em? I was fine till you kissed me and now I have all these thoughts-"
"Whey! You're talking again! I was close to spiking your teas." Emmett you fucking fuck fuck carroty! What thoughts? WHAT THOUGHTS?! I was trying to get my thoughts through to Peter's head but apparently his telepathy was having a day off today. I need to find out! Oh...I could ask Emmett later... I grabbed my cup of tea and slouched (with maybe a little too much attitude and my tea spilled slightly over me) back in position to watch Frozen, a personal favourite of mine and a detest for the guys. Maybe I could torture the information out of Peter by singing the soundtrack..ohh, ideas!
The film had just begun when Peter asked,
"We all still going to Chris's house party on Friday?"
♠ ♠ ♠
It's all startiiiing ;D