Status: I'M BACK. Story may be taken apart and redone. Updates soon!

Wishing Well

Distracted

Mixed Media. It was 15 minutes after the start of class and Mr. Way had only just gotten there. He looked tired, maybe he hadn't had enough coffee yet or maybe he just hadn't slept well. No one really knew, but watching him fumble around with his words and take shortcuts through his lesson was entertaining, to say the least.

By the time Mr. Way had gotten through a little over half the lesson, he'd ended it with "Fuck it. Read the first 2 chapters of your text books as homework. It covers the basics of figure drawings and composition. Make sure you know what those chapters are teaching you by tomorrow, and for proof that you read it I want a brief summary of each chapter including details of the purpose of figure drawing and composition is. Feel free to use class time now to get that done." He sat down at his desk and started, what seemed to be a lesson plan, but eventually just started doodling, though I couldn't really see the doodles.

As I tried to read the chapters, I kept getting distracted by everything. People talking, tapping their pens, some even snoring. I was irritated, but ignored it. I really just ended up sitting there, staring at the pages, making no sense of any of it, even after reading the same paragraph multiple times. I needed quiet, but by the time it did get quiet, I realized everyone was leaving. Shit.

I got up from my chair and gathered my things, but was stopped my Mr. Way before I could make it out the door. "Oh hey, Ms. Brandon, right? Ashley?"

"That's me." I smiled, trying not to get nervous. Honestly, I thought I was in trouble for something.

"I just wanted to apologize about yesterday, for bursting into your place." He said, cheeks a little red. He was obviously a bit embarrassed. "It's just nothing new to me, I mean, Frank has been with Lana for a long time now and she's used to me popping in. I guess I didn't even think about her having a roommate."

"Oh, don't worry about it." I chuckled, but it was more of a nervous chuckle. I was actually surprised that he was apologizing.

"Really though, that was probably awkward for you, since I'm your teacher." He shrugged.

"It's okay." I said again, just trying to brush it off, even though he was right. It was awkward. "Can I ask you something?" I asked, gaining a bit of confidence.

"What's that?" He asked, leaning back in his chair, rocking it a bit.

I noticed his jaw line again and froze up for a second, but quickly regained my thoughts and continued. "Uh, what was on the radio that you two were so excited about?"

"Oh shit! I bet that was probably fucking weird too." He laughed, rubbing his forehead with one hand. His laugh made me want to smile, it was soft, but also a little dorky. And when he smiled his mouth id this thing where it was crooked and it was oddly quirky an cute. "Frank and I play music together with my brother Mikey and our friend Ray. One of our songs was on the local radio. We overreacted." He said, trying to downplay it a bit.

"Mr. Way, that's really cool!" I said, being serious. I had no idea he was a musician. "I doubt it was an overreaction."

"Thanks." He chuckled, looking a little embarrassed again.

"Can I ask you one more thing?" I got a little brave again, as my question may have been taken as a romantic advance, but in all honesty it wasn't at all.

"Shoot." He said, leaning forward on his desk.

"How old are you?" I threw up my hands before he could answer so I could quickly explain myself. "I'm only asking because Lana is my age and she's dating your friend, so I guess I'm just a little lost, and maybe that's ignorant of me, but like, you don't look that old. And neither does Frank but-"

I was cut off by laughter as he held his hand up for me to stop talking. "I'm 29." He obviously knew by then that I wasn't just trying to be weird or invasive, and honestly he probably thought I was super awkward and weird, but I didn't want to think about that. "And to explain the Frank thing, he's only 23, which is like, what, 2 or 3 years older than you guys?"

"4 actually. For me." I said, not really meaning to drop my age but it kind of happened anyway. I was just afraid of him thinking I was hitting on him because that was never the intention. Yes, he was extremely attractive, but that gave me no right or even hope to think of him romantically. Strictly professional.

"Ah. I see. Well anyway, sorry about that. Next time I'll make sure you're cool with it before I just pop in." He rubbed the back of his neck, an that's when I noticed how tired he really looked.

"Sure. Just email me." I smiled lightly, knowing he already had my email as most teachers did to assign last minute things or to give students notice of something. I figured this would be the most professional way to talk with him about anything.

"I will. Sorry again." He half smiled and took a drink of his coffee, which was probably cold by now.

"No worries." I smiled and went to go walk away, and as I left I noticed him take some pill. I turned around and leaned against the door frame, trying not to be weird. "Are you alright?" I asked.

"Yeah, why?" He asked, although he already knew damn well why I was asking.

"You just seem a little.." I paused, looking for the right word. "Drowsy."

"Honestly, it's a hangover from hell. I'm fine." He smiled sweetly, though I felt my stomach drop a bit. For some reason it made me sad to know he apparently drank so heavily that it made him feel terrible the next day. I could only hope it was just a one time or occasional deal.

"Just checking." I nodded and left, wondering if he thought I was weird. I hadn't tried to be, but it just happened sometimes.

After the rest of my classes, I went back to my dorm where I again found Lana and Frank. This time they were making out on the couch so I just quietly snuck into my room as to not disturb them. I was secretly a little irritated with them for it, but decided not to say anything. They were in love. I figured it'd be best to let them enjoy it.

I was happy to finally be able to focus on the chapters I'd been given to read, although I would have much rather been drawing instead of reading about drawing. I picked up my clean, incredibly neat sketch book and started drawing a mermaid, mostly because it was the first thing that came to mind. I kept all of my art very neat and put together, even though it was a lot of work sometimes.

About 3 hours went by before I found myself snapping out of my drawing frenzy due to an email coming in from my open lap top. The subject line was blank but it was from Mr. Way. It read;
"Hey, it's Gerard (as you probably already got from my email address.) Frank asked me to go hang out with him and Lana and I was wondering if that was okay with you. Get back to me whenever you can. Thanks.
-G"


I realized then that I hadn't even known what his first name was before that. I felt a little nervous, but replied anyway. After writing and deleting and rewriting about 5 times, I came up with the most simple answer I could. It read;
"Hey, thanks for the email. If you want to stop by that's okay with me. Frank and Lana have been kissing on the couch since I got home so maybe you can distract them for a while before they devour each other! lol
-Ash"


After a few long minutes, I got a response back.
"Ha! Maybe, we'll see. Thanks Ashley."

I responded with a simple "No problem!" And took a quick look in the mirror, making sure I didn't loo too awful.

About 20 minutes went by before I heard the expected knock on the door. I heard Lana answer it and greet him, but went back to reading the chapter the man in the next room assigned me. I had actually gotten to it this time, freeing myself from distractions. I'd gotten about a page of notes before my stomach started rumbling. I couldn't believe I'd forgotten to eat!

I sneaked out to the kitchen quietly, as to not draw attention to myself, but was caught anyway. "Hey hermit crab! You done hiding in your room?" Lana joked.

"Just came out for some food." I smiled at her, hiding my uneasiness and avoiding the eyes of the gorgeous man across the way. He was wearing a white button up, that was slightly unbuttoned, with a black vest over it that he'd worn under a suit jacket in class earlier in the day. His hair wasn't so neat anymore and he looked more relaxed, and believe me, relaxed looked incredible on him.

"Why don't you come play video games for a while with us?" She offered. I looked to the screen where they were playing Black Ops 2 Zombies. It wasn't something I was very good at or had much experience with at all and I didn't want to embarrass myself or stay in the room with Mr. Way long enough to do that without the help of a game.

"That's okay. I have home work to do." I said, glancing over at Mr. Way, trying to hold back a smile.

"Oh that's my fault isn't it?" He chuckled a bit.

"Kind of." I said, letting out a small laugh. He seemed so different outside of class. He seemed like more of a real person instead of a professional. He was laid back, more willing to joke around with someone personally instead of being somewhat of an entertainer and cracking jokes to an audience.

"Why don't you take a break?" Frank asked, pausing the game to turn around to talk to me.

"Well, someone since someone decided to assign me homework, and I'm terrible at concentrating, I'm behind. So I really shouldn't." I tried to make an excuse to leave the room, but in a way that would make them laugh or think that I was just nervous.

"Did you read the chapters?" Mr. Way asked.

"Yeah. I just have to write summaries, but I suck at writing so It's going to take forever-" I was suddenly cut off again him.

"So fuck it. I only assigned the summaries because I know people won't read it and then I'll have to spend more class time going over it again. It's not graded." He said, whispering the last part and making a "shhh" sound.

I couldn't help but laugh, but it meant I didn't have any more excuses. "Fine." I said, grabbing a bag of chips instead of a dinner and sitting on the floor in front of Lana. I didn't really want to but Mr. Way was sitting on the only other couch and I thought it would be inappropriate to sit next to him.

"Perfect." Frank said, handing me a controller. "Me and Lana are going to go pick up smokes from the gas station. Gerard is going to teach you how to play. I mean, it's only fitting." He laughed at his own stupid joke and stepped outside with Lana.

"I'm going to suck at this." I said, trying to make this as least awkward as possible.

"Here. I'll show you, it's easy." He said, sitting on the floor next to me. He showed me which buttons do what and started playing for a bit, to show me what to do. I had a hard time giving the controller my full attention when he was sitting so close. He smelled like heaven, and when I say heaven I apparently mean coffee, cigarettes, and some type of body spray. It was like the overwhelming smell you breathe in when you walk into a concert venue, although most people would find that revolting, it was something I found I loved.

As much as I would love to say I caught on quickly and did a great job, it would be a lie. I still sucked pretty bad, but Mr. Way made sure I felt like I was doing well with encouraging words. "Mr. Way I suck at this." I laughed at one point, losing the game for probably the 3rd time.

"You know what, seeing as we're not in class, I think you can call me Gerard." He smiled, though obviously feeling a little awkward. I got the strange sense that he was nervous just then, probably not wanting me to think he was being inappropriate.

"Are you sure? I mean, I don't want anyone to think-"

"It's fine." He interrupted. "Plus, who would know?" He winked at me, probably not even on purpose. I assumed it was habit for some reason, but I felt my cheeks burning and my breath hitch for a second.

"Okay then, Gerard" I teased. "Do you want something to drink? I'm heading to the kitchen."

"Just water." He politely requested.

"Are you sure? Pretty sure Frank is going to grab some beer." I mentioned, remembering that he was a drinker.

"I don't drink anymore." He said, absent minded.

I thought for a moment, remembering he said he was hungover just that morning. "You don't huh?" I asked, suspicious, as I filled his cup with ice and water.

"No I quit recently." I could tell he was being honest and had probably forgotten the apparent lie he told me.

"I could have sworn you said you were hungover today." I mentioned, trying not to make a big deal of it, although I was curious as to what he was hiding. Why lie about being hungover if you didn't have something to hide?

"Oh, yeah I guess I did." He said, struggling a bit. "Sorry, I really don't like to talk about it." I could tell he felt uncomfortable, so I decided to let it go.

"Sure, sorry I asked." I apologized, offering him the water with a smile.

"Thanks." He said, smiling back at me, even though I knew the "thanks" wasn't just for the water. It was also for not making him tell me the truth. He must have been used to people prying.

Frank and Lana got back shortly after that and we all played games until about midnight. "It's getting late." I said as we finished our game.

"Yeah some of use have class in the morning." Gerard said, teasing Frank.

"Lame!" He said, standing up to get ready to go. "Come on babe, walk me to the car so I can say goodnight to you the right way." He winked, throwing her into a mini fit of giggles and she pranced after him.

"Gross." Gerard and I said at the same time, making us laugh.

"I never want to be that couple." He said, waving his hand toward the front door.

"Me either." I agreed, not wanting to make other feel the way I felt. Awkward.

"Anyway, thanks for hanging out. I know it's probably weird since I'm your teacher and some people would call it unethical and-"

"It's fine. I had fun." I smiled, cutting him off like he'd done to me multiple times that day.

"Right." The glow of his eyes made my heart race but the crooked smile on his face somehow felt like home. I thought maybe it was because he reminded me of Ben, like I've said most things did. But I didn't find until much later that it only felt like home because it was on him.

"Thanks for showing me how to play. Maybe I'll get better one day." I joked, knowing damn well that wasn't true.

"Sure." He nodded, catching onto my sarcasm. "I'll see you tomorrow morning. Thanks again Ashley. Good night." He said, grabbing his jacket and heading out to his car. I was left with the lingering smell of him and an emptiness I couldn't explain. Maybe I was crazy but I felt like hanging out longer. I knew it was probably wrong to even have that feeling so I did my best to shake it off and go to bed, maybe a little happy that I'd see him in the morning.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay obviously I know that the age thing with the time period and the age gaps between some of the members are WAY off, and I want you guys to know that that was on purpose. lol I tend to make him a lot older, for consistency throughout the story.

Anyway, thank you! I appreciate you all reading. <3