Status: Active

Bulletproof in Black Like a Funeral

And repeat yesterday's dance

I craved security and a future with a foundation rooted in safety. I wanted to know that I was going to be able to support myself; that I would never have to rely on anyone else for life’s basic needs. Happiness had nothing to do with it at all.

It was a cool day for Seattle in May. The sun kept peeking out inbetween the clouds, casting a new shadow through my windows and onto the floor of my room. Scanning my eyes over to the time on my phone it was 10:37 in the morning. The nights were getting worse. I keep waking up groggy and drained; the nightmares won’t stop.All I can see is pain and hear screams; I know it’s not healthy, but I don’t want to admit that I need help or medicine to keep me asleep. I don’t want to be seen as weak. My family has a strong reputation and I don’t want to be seen as the weak link.

A ding from my phone made me lean over and take it out from under my pillow.

From Oliver Drakos
Time 10:42AM
Your father is going out of town for the week for business. He’ll be back Friday night, hopefully. They left me to watch after you this time, instead of your aunt. Try not to be too much of a hassle

I felt the corners of my mouth tug upwards. I got a whole week with Oliver. I know the housekeeper and the some of the crew would be lurking around, but it also meant Oliver would be everywhere I went. Like I said Oliver and I were never really close. He stayed quiet and hung out with the guys in the crew and stayed in an apartment a couple miles away from the house. The thing is that I’ve had a crush on him since he first showed up five years ago. He was my freshman year crush and I pretty much hid in my room every time he was at the house. I was quiet in high school and it wasn’t until my senior year when I left my shell.

I started going out with friends more. My sister let me hang out with her more when I officially turned eighteen, and introduced me into the dangers of the world; outside of the mafia. I have never been into my father's business, and I don’t want to know about it. I don’t want to know about the illegal actions t of my father's work, but I know more than he thinks I do, thanks to my sister.

My fingers fiddled over the touchscreen keyboard debating what to write back.

To Oliver Drakos
From Iris
Time 10:43AM
I’ll try not to burn the house down. Don’t worry Oliver.

From Oliver Drakos
To Iris
Time 10:45AM
Don’t get any ideas.

PS are you ever going to leave your room or do I have all this food to myself?

My eyes went wide as soon as I heard the giggle leave my mouth.

To Oliver Drakos
From Iris
Time 10:48AM
I’ll be down in a minute.

I may be shy about Oliver but I left that shell and I was nineteen now and I was not the same fourteen year old girl I was five years ago. I know not to hide behind others or put a shield up; only when it comes to happiness and love.

I unplugged my phone from the charger and grabbed some sweatpants from my dresser, sliding them up my legs and adjusting them before I made my way down the stairs to the kitchen.

Half way down the stairs I could smell the pancakes and coffee that was being made. I turned the corner into the kitchen and saw Oliver and Myles sitting at the table, food loaded onto their plates. I wasn't in shock to how much food was on their plates; it was how sweaty they were and the thick layer of sweat that covered their skin.

Myles was another member of my father’s crew. He and Oliver became close when my father took him in; they have been inseparable ever since.

“Early morning?” I asked. I got back a smile and a wink from Oliver.

A wink? Maybe my father should go out of town more often if I get to see flirty Oliver. He’s always been on the shy side, but when you’re around him long enough he opens up and you get a smile. But when he’s with Myles it’s always laughs and smiles. I always say to myself that they were separated at birth.

I grabbed a plate from the center island and grabbed food that was laid out thanks to our housekeeper Ruba. The food looked delicious, fruit, pancakes, and eggs covered the kitchen island. My stomach let out a rumble signalling my hunger as I inhaled the scent. I was caught off guard by it when the I heard the guys laugh at the table.

“Hungry?” Myles coughed out in between laughs.

“A tad” I said simply. I hadn't realized how hungry I actually was until taking in the aroma of the breakfast food.

I filled up my plate and strolled over to the table where I took the open chair next to Oliver. His sculptured chin had stubble growing and made him look older and a hell of a lot sexier. Sweat covered his forehead and arms of his cut off tank. His arms were covered with color and designs that followed all the way up his neck.

I may not be as shy around him now, but I am still intimidated by him one hundred percent. His deep stare could either make you fall to the ground or make you strip yourself.

“Are you gonna eat ‘Ris or are you just gonna stare off?” came out of the person next to me followed by a deep chuckle.

I let a soft smile on my lips and then picked up my toast and bit into it.

“Plans today?” Myles spoke from the other side.

“Not sure yet. Might work on some projects for class due tomorrow or lay outside. Most likely both”

“How many weeks left of this semester”

“Two. They’re all finals.”

I’m currently enrolled at Washington State University majoring in Journalism and Media Production. Writings always come naturally to me and it’s more or less simple for me compared to others.

“What’s your project on?” Oliver’s gaze was on me when I turned towards him.

“I-I’m still debating between two topics”

Those eyes staring at me are gonna make my insides do back flips.

“Good luck. If you need me I’m going for a swim.” He stood up leaving his plate at the table and opened the doors to the back patio and before I knew it his shirt was off and his back was naked facing me.

I have the urge to leap up and trace his muscles and trace the artwork that flows down the side of him. Before I could blink he dove into the pool and my breath hitched in my throat when I didn't see him surface right away.

“Iris, close your mouth. You’re drooling”

My cheeks were suddenly on fire and my head was facing the table so my hair covered my face.