Status: My life is finally slowing down, I hope to have a chapter up within the next month or so. Thanks for the paitence!

Hope

Chapter Twelve

Val brought Kristel back to Zack's house roughly an hour later, Kristel still not thrilled about being taken shopping. "Come on, it looks great on you," Val insisted as they walked into the door.

"I can't believe I let you talk me into buying it," Kristel looked at the bag in her hand with disgust.

"Oh my God," Val rolled her eyes. "Go put it on."

Kristel gave an exasperated sigh, then turned to her room to change. "What's that about?" Matt asked.

Val sat down in one of Zacks chairs, sighing, "I have never met a girl who despises shopping so much!"

"Because shopping sucks," Kristel walked out of her room with a plain red dress on. "Hey, we forgot something," Kristel smirked at Val.

"What's that?" Val asked, eyebrow raised.

Kristel pointed down to her feet, "Shoes. Guess I can't wear it after all." Kristel turned to go back to her room to change back into her original outfit before Val stopped her.

"Oh, no you don't." Val grabbed Kristel's wrist. "You're wearing it, I have shoes that will look adorable with that outfit."

"Of course you do," Kristel sighed, defeated.

"I'll go get them," Val turned to go, before giving Kristel a look over once more. "You're not wearing your hair like that are you?"

"What's wrong with my hair?" Kristel asked, running her hand through her pony tail.

"Michelle can fix your hair, I'll be right back," Val instructed as she ran out of Zacks house.

"What's wrong with my hair?" Kristel asked again, looking around lost. She finally spotted Zack, and pointed an accusing finger at him. "Where are you taking me? Why the hell do I need to look like this?" Kristel pulled at the skirt of the dress as Michele redirected her back into her room.

"Better not be taking her anywhere too expensive," Matt chuckled. "She might have a heart attack."

Roughly half an hour later, Val and Michelle released Kristel from her room.. "Wow," Zack was taken aback seeing Kristel, for the first time, with make up on and her hair done.

"I know," Krystal looked at herself, smirking. "It's awful."

Val came up behind her giving her a light smack on the back of her head, "You look fine."

"Says you," Krystal stuck her tongue out at Val, making Val look at her in horror.

"You're going to ruin your lipstick!"

Krystal rolled her eyes, before spotting Zack staring at her, making her blush. "We should go before they find something else to fix," Krystal suggested. Zack blinked a couple times, before escorting her out of the house and to his car.

They arrived at a restaurant with an oceanfront view a few minutes later. Zack opened Kristel's door, helping her out of the vehicle, then escorted her into the building. Kristel couldn't help but look at the restaurant in wonder, it was so richly decorated. "This place looks so expensive," Kristel whispered, as Zack led her to a hostess podium.

"Table for two," Zack informed the hostess, who motioned for them to follow her.

After they had sat down for a few minutes a waitress came to the table asking for a drink order. "Would you like some wine?" Zack asked Kristel.

"W-What?" Kristel asked her heart beating fast for some unknown reason.

"Would you like some wine?" Zack asked again, a small smile playing on his lips.

"N-no thanks," Kristel ended up stuttering out, attempting to smile. "Water would be fine."

"You sure?" Zack offered once more, making Kristel nod, lips pursed. "I'll take a water as well," Zack informed the waitress, who nodded then hurried off to get their drinks. "Are you okay?" Zack asked Kristel, after a few moments of awkward silence.

Kristel looked up, startled. "Y-yeah, why?" She attempted to smile, but was failing miserably at it.

Zack shrugged, "You just seem...tense is all."

Kristel gave a small laugh, "Aren't I always tense?"

"True," Zack flashed a quick smile, making Kristel's heart flutter for a second. She broke eye contact, studying the white tablecloth as she attempted to squash her hopeful heart. Reminding herself that she couldn't afford to get into a relationship.

The waitress came back and took their order, then left them in their silence once more. Kristel could see Zack shifting uneasily. She kept thinking to herself that she should start a conversation, but wasn't sure what to talk about. "You don't drink much," Zack blurted out finally, making Kristel look at him confused. "Alcohol," he clarified.

"Oh," Kristel replied quietly, becoming uncomfortable once more. "I-I'm not of age."

Zack paused for a moment, unsure of where to go next. "How old are you, exactly?" Zack finally asked, his heart in his throat.

Kristel peered at his face, scared of how he'd react at her answer, "Twenty."

Zack looked at her shocked. She was ten years younger then him. Only twenty and had run away from home, was a single mom, jobless, and if not for him she would be homeless too. He saw her peering at him, tears threatening to come out of her eyes. "I'll be twenty-one in May," her voice cracked. "The twenty first."

At least May isn't that far away, Zack thought. "Your golden birthday," Zack smiled, coming to a realization.

Kristel gave a small smile. "Yeah," she paused a moment before continuing. "Wasn't planning on doing much though."

"Why's that?"

"No money," Kristel rubbed her fingers together, smiling.

"Doesn't mean you can't have a nice birthday," Zack pointed out. They thanked the waitress as they received their food.

"Yeah, well," Kristel replied, brushing off the comment. "It's just another day anyways."

"Don't say that, it's the day you were born."

"Honestly," Kristel leaned into the table a little. "Pretty sure the world wouldn't die if I hadn't been born."

Zack was silent for a moment, trying to get his thoughts together. "But you were born, so we're going to make this your best birthday yet."

Kristel shook her head, smiling, as she concentrated on the food in front of her. The rest of the dinner went on uneventfully for the two of them.

"Thanks again," Kristel whispered as they began walking towards his house. "I needed that."

"Don't mention it," Zack wrapped his arm around her shoulders and gave a light squeeze. Pleased when she didn't tense up or pull away.

They walked into the house to see Val and Michelle sitting on the couch doing each others nails.

"You're back," Val smiled. "How was dinner?"

"It was good," Kristel smiled, before yawning.

"You should get to bed," Zack whispered in her ear, giving her a slight nudge towards her room.

"Well, I'm exhausted," Kristel excused herself. "I'll see everyone in the morning."

A chorus of good nights followed her, as she closed her door. After they heard Kristel's door shut, Val turned towards Zack seriously, "What's the matter?"

"Is it that obvious?" Zack asked, collapsing into a chair.

Michelle nodded, "You're too easy to read."

"Found out how old she is," Zack started, before pausing.

"And?" Val prompted.

"Twenty."

Val and Michelle looked at each other, before looking back at him. "Years older than you?" Val finished for Zack, questionly.

"No, twenty years old," Zack ran his hand through his hair.

"Wow," Michelle said, lost for words. "And she-"

"Yeah," Zack nodded.

"Wow," Michelle repeated.

"But when does she turn twenty-one?" Val asked.

"Believe it or not, May twenty first," Zack gave a small smile.

"Well, we need to plan something," Val smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this was my way of stalling for finals, but I finally got the chapter done. It might be a while before I get the next chapter up, I have one more week of school then will be on vacation with my family for a week, after that I'll be on summer, so I should be able to update a little more frequently.

Comment, Subscribe, Enjoy!

41612