Status: My life is finally slowing down, I hope to have a chapter up within the next month or so. Thanks for the paitence!

Hope

Chapter Sixteen

Kristel was released a few days later, after the doctors confirmed that her stitches were healing well enough. Zack took Kristel back to his house, after all the paperwork at the hospital was done. “Why is everyone here?” Kristel asked Zack, seeing his full driveway.

“They all missed you,” Zack laughed, pulling along the curb. Kristel rolled her eyes, getting out of the car, letting Zack lead her into the house.

“Welcome back,” everyone greeted them as they entered the house.

“What’s all this?” Kristel laughed, seeing a mini party set up for her.

“We missed you,” Jimmy smiled, bringing her into a hug, before remembering she had stitches and gently set her down.

“I told you,” Zack chuckled, as he steered her into a chair.

“Hey there, lil’ miss Amber,” Kristel cooed, as Amber was handed to her. “I missed you.” Amber babbled a little, smiling happy to be back in her mom’s arms.

Val smiled, “She’s been trying to talk while you were in the hospital.”

“Have you?” Kristel teased Amber, bopping her nose. “You silly.” Kristel then turned towards Val and Matt. “Thanks so much for taking care of her. I really appreciate it.”

“It was no problem,” Val gave Kristel a hug. “We were actually thinking of keeping her one more night, so you can get settled back in without worrying about her too much.”

“I actually didn’t even think of that,” Kristel began to think. “That’s actually not a bad idea…if you’re willing that is.” Kristel looked from Val to Matt back to Val.

“Of course it’s okay!” Val scooped Amber in her arms, before Matt could say anything. “Besides I think Matt’s growing a soft spot for this one.”

“It’s easily done,” Kristel gave Val a strained smile, wanting Amber back in her arms, but not wanting to sound needy.

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry,” Val handed Amber back to Kristel, upon seeing her look. “You must miss her like crazy.”

“Yeah, I do,” Kristel hugged Amber. “It was kinda nice the first day, not really having to worry about her, but then it got lonely after a while.” Kristel looked down when she heard a small bark near her chair. “Come here,” Kristel patted her lap, making Icky jump on her lap next to Amber, then lay down.

“Yeah, apparently he likes her,” Zack waved his hand, disgusted.

“He bit me last time I got anywhere near him,” Johnny sulked, making everyone chuckle.

"It's not my fault he loves me," Kristel smirked, then cupped Icky's face in her hands and messed with his ears, talking to him. "Is it? It's not my fault you like me?" Icky liked her face, wagging his tail, making Zack give a disgusted snort.

"Little traiter," Zack muttered, walking into the kitchen to grab a beer.

They all hung out until Kristel started yawning. Zack helped her up, and helped her to her room making sure she was able to lay down.

Kristel lay in her bed, listening to the sound of Zack’s voice, as he helped everyone clean up and head out. She tried to fall asleep, but found that she was having difficulties. “Come on Kristel,” she whispered to herself. “Go to sleep.”

A few more minutes went by with the same results, becoming frustrated she sat up, instantly regretting her decision a few seconds later. She finally pinpointed her problem at nerves and anxiety. She was still scared. Taking a deep breath, she got out of bed and walked across the hall to see Zack was in his room. She knocked, before opening the door. “Zack?” she croaked out, making him turn towards her his shirt off.

“Hey, what’s the matter?” Zack asked, confused. He obviously thought she had fallen asleep.

“I-I can’t sleep,” Kristel rubbed her arms, nervously. “C-can I stay in here with you for a little bit?”

“What’s the matter?” Zack asked after they sat on his bed. He pulled Kristel into his arms, helping her relax a little.

Kristel shrugged, “Nerves I guess.”

“Why?”

Kristel was silent for a moment, not wanting to say anything out loud, finally she sighed, looking up at him, “Why does she hate me so much?”

Zack was taken by surprise by the question. He thought Kristel didn’t care what Gena thought of her, since Gena’s opinion clearly wasn’t going to change. “She’s just jealous,” Zack finally said.

“Of what?” Kristel persisted, pain in her voice. “Why would she be jealous of someone who can’t even support herself or her child, and has to get help everywhere they turn?”

Zack started rubbing Kristel’s back, she was not taking the no job thing very well. “Because you’re with me,” Zack tried again. “You have what she wanted the most in the world.”

“What do I have?” Kristel mumbled. “It’s not like we’re dating or anything.” Kristel paused, feeling her heart sink, she finally had to admit to herself that she had feelings for Zack, and there was no way she could push them back anymore. Kristel looked at Zack’s face and for a brief moment thought she saw the same thing in him.

Zack cleared his throat, before answering, “That may be so, but you have my respect and you can get help anytime you want, and that’s something she never really had.”

Kristel was silent, letting everything sink in. “Hey Kristel,” Zack broke the silence after a few moments. She looked at him, curious. “I need to ask you something, please don’t get offended.”

Kristel now looked at him more intently, why the hell would she get offended?

“When you were in the hospital, I wasn’t sure if you were going to be awake or not. And I didn’t know what to do, so in a desperate attempt of trying to find medical information I went through your wallet, and…” Zack trailed off.

Kristel gave him a small smile, “You found my ID’s?” Zack nodded. Kristel laughed a little, “I’m honestly surprised it took you this long to do that.”

Zack looked at her shocked, “W-why would I go through your wallet?”

“Well it’s not like I’m just coming out and telling you why I randomly showed up in Huntington,” Kristel waved a distracted hand in the air, before stopping, her smile fading. She finally became serious. “I haven’t told any of you and all of you have been so patient with me.” Kristel sighed. “God, why am I such a bitch?”

“You’re not a bitch,” Zack comforted her. “You’re just doing what you think is right.”

“But it’s not,” Kristel stopped him. “Even you know that. I should’ve come out up front about everything. I don’t even know why you’re letting me stay here. I could be a mass murderer for all you know.”

Zack stopped for a second, suddenly rethinking everything. “But, you’re not…right?”

Kristel laughed, “Of course not. You think I’d be able to get away with killing someone? Come on you’ve seen me on my best and worst days.”

“No, I guess not,” he chuckled at his silly thought. “You’d probably turn yourself into the cops after you did it.”

“You’re probably right,” Kristel smiled, making Zack’s heartrate increase.

“So…why are you in Huntington?” Zack decided to prod her after a few more moments of silence.

Kristel bit her lip, figuring out just what to say. “I was running away,” she finally sighed, pulling away from him, so she could look right at him.

“From what?” Zack asked.

Another small laugh from Kristel, tears now prominent in her eyes, “Everything?”

“I don’t understand,”

Sighing once more, Kristel took a shaky breath, “As soon as my ex gave up his rights to my daughter, I kinda started thinking about moving away, and starting over where nobody knew me. I thought it would be easy,” small laugh. “I’m a complete idiot…” she looked at his face, only to look away again. “My ex’s mom was giving me so much grief, I couldn’t handle it anymore. So I-I changed my name and hid all the documents so my parents wouldn’t know. Closed out my bank account so I’d have some money, and took the first plane out of town with Amber.”

“What was she doing that made you decide to leave?” Zack asked pulling Kristel back into his arms, before she started sobbing in distress.

“Throughout the entire court procession she would complain she was going to have a heart attack if I didn’t agree to anything her son wanted. I basically told her she could fuck herself. Then when the court was done, she’d show up randomly at my parents’ house, expecting to be able to visit Amber.” Kristel explained through sobs.

“Well she’s the grandmother isn’t she?” Zack asked, rubbing Kristel’s back, trying to calm her sobs down.

“Yes, but she’d show up every day,” Kristel looked up at him, tear streaked face. “I could be ready to leave for work and she wouldn’t care, she’d just barge in and demand a visit saying I wasn’t being accommodating. And then she demanded I let her take Amber back to her place,”

“What’s wrong with that?” Zack asked, not realizing the distress in Kristel’s eyes had grown.

“She’s a hoarder,” Kristel sobbed, trying her best to stop. “You can barely walk through her house, without causing something to fall, and she wanted to take my daughter to her house. And if the house wasn’t bad enough she has sixteen cats locked up in her basement, all of them with some form of illness.” Zack patted Kristel’s back now regretting asking anything. “I was so scared that she’d take Amber and I’d never see her again. O-or that he’d come back and hurt me to get to Amber. S-so to make it all stop, I ran away hoping she’d leave me alone.”

“Has it worked so far?”

Kristel nodded, “So far, but I’m sure it’s only a matter of time, before they find me. I-I just need a job for six months. Something to show I have a life established here, and she should go away.”

“You hope?”

“That’s all I’ve been doing since I got here,” Kristel gave him a small smile trying to lighten the mood.

Zack gave Kristel some tissues to help her clear up her face, then pulled her back into his arms, kissing her hair, trying to make her feel better. “You can stay here as long as you need. And if they find you, I will do everything I can to help you, okay?” Zack pulled Kristel’s face up to look at him. Kristel nodded, remnants of tears still in her eyes.

He wiped her tears away from the side of her face, before cupping her face in his hand, making her heart flutter, and gently kissed her on the lips. Kristel was slightly startled, but quickly fell into the kiss, bringing her body closer to his, wanting to be as close to him as she could.
♠ ♠ ♠
So...hope everyone liked the chapter. Kristel finally opened up to Zack, about what's going on in her life. My husband read the chapter and when he was done, looked me dead in the eye and goes 'about damn time'. Also, I want to thank everyone who's subscribed to this story. I've just reached one hundred subscribers over the past couple chapters, and it makes me so happy to know I have that many people enjoying what I'm writing. Thanks again everyone!

Comment, Subscribe, Enjoy!