Status: My life is finally slowing down, I hope to have a chapter up within the next month or so. Thanks for the paitence!

Hope

Chapter Two

The girl stayed on the boardwalk, watching the band play. Gently swaying side to side, as her daughter began to fall back asleep. "Thank you and have a good night," the singer said to the crowd, as the band began to walk off the stage. She watched Zack walk to the back of the stage. Before she knew it, she was walking towards the band, trying to keep Zack in her sight.

She stopped short, "What am I doing?" she whispered to herself. "I don't even know the guy." She turned around to go back to where she had originally been, when a group of guys came up behind her.

"Hey there, Pretty," one said in a dangerous tone.

The girl bit her lip, as she attempted to ignore them and continue to her destination.

"Hey!" the guy started again. "I'm talking to you," he grabbed her shoulder, spinning her around as she clutched her daughter to her.

"I-I didn't hear you," she stuttered, trying to back up, her heart in her throat.

"You owe us money," the leader of the group smiled.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about," the girl squeaked, her eyes darting to the sides looking for an exit. "I've never borrowed money."

The group laughed, making the girls heart leap into her throat. "If you don't have our money. Then I guess you'll have to pay us in another way," the leader of the group nodded to the other guys, who then went for the girl.

"Let us relieve you of that," a second guy said, as he went to grab for her daughter. Two other guys came at her sides and held her arms, as the second guy took her daughter from her.

"No! Let me go! No! Amber!" the girl shrieked, as the boys held her back. The boy that took her, Amber, laughed, as the first one started to advance on her, making the girl close her eyes.

"Leave her alone!" a familiar voice yelled, as one of the guys grabbed her shirt.

Opening her eyes, the girl watched Zack tackle the boy that had been advancing on her. Once they were out of the way she wrenched her arms free from the two guys and went for the one holding her daughter. "Give her back!" she snarled at the guy holding Amber, making the guy take a step back, surprised. The girl lunged at him, making him fall, Amber rolling to the ground, making her cry. The girl scooped up her daughter, and glared at the guy as he ran away. The girl attempted to soothe Amber, but knew she was getting hungry. Looking up, she saw Zack finishing up with the other guys. He turned to her to show a busted lip, and a bloody nose.

"You're hurt," she gasped.

Zack shrugged, walking towards her, "It's nothing."

"You shouldn't have done that," the girl chided, standing up, guilt washing over her.

"I've had worse," Zack shrugged again. "What did they want with you?"

The girl shrugged, not sure what to think of the conversation herself. Amber, noticing that her mom had stopped swaying back and forth, began to full on cry, hungry. "Oh, no," the girl cried, tears running down her face, as she attempted to not panic.

"What's the matter?" Zack asked, concerned, looking for forming bruises.

"S-she's hungry," the girl started, wishing that she didn't feel so helpless. "I-I don't have any more formula." At this realization, she began to sob uncontrollably, as she fell to the ground. "I don't have any money, I'm out of formula," she repeated in desperation, hugging her daughter to her.

"Come on," Zack said, helping her stand. "I'm taking you to my house. I can get you some formula too,"

"T-Thank you," she whispered, wiping her tears away.

"I don't live far from here, I'll get you settled in, and then I can go get some formula for your daughter." The girl nodded her head in agreement, not sure what else to do. "But I have one condition," Zack continued, making the color drain out of the girls face. "It's nothing like that," Zack assured her, after figuring out where her thoughts must've gone.

"Then what is it?" she asked, quietly.

"What's your name?"

"Kristel," the girl replied, looking at Zack through her teary eyes, to see him nod.

"Let's get your things," Zack walked with Kristel to where he had first met her, and grabbed a diaper bag, backpack and a car seat. "Is this it?" he asked, frowning. Kristel nodded, looking down, she felt ashamed for not having more for Amber and herself. Upon seeing her like this, Zack switched the subject. "When we get to my house, you can sleep in my room, and I'll sleep on the couch."

"You don't need to do that," Kristel looked towards him, as he turned down a street, heading away from the beach.

Zack shook his head, "Don't worry about it." A couple seconds later, they walked into his front door, a small black dog greeting them. "Hey there Icky," Zack greeted the dog, petting him. The dog growled at Kristel and Amber, making her take a step back, and look at Zack unsure. "I'll put him in a different room," Zack offered, picking Icky up, and walking through the house. Kristel heard a door close and Zack reappeared. "You can sit down," Zack offered.

Kristel swayed on her feet, wanting to sit down, but at the same time not wanting to sit down knowing Amber would wake back up. She shook her head no, "I need to feed Amber."
"Right," Zack started for the door, before stopping. "I'll be right back." Zack came back after half an hour, holding three different Gerber formula cans. "I wasn't really sure which one you preferred," he admitted, after he took his shoes off. Kristel smiled a little, "That's okay." She reached for the formula can she needed.

"Do you need any help?" Zack asked, as he saw her struggle one handed with the lid.

"I would appreciate it," Kristel admitted, handing him the can as she looked for Amber's bottle. Zack took the bottle and looked at it. "How can she drink out of this? It's so dirty," Zack looked at Kristel, realizing that she was about to cry again. "Hey, hey, no I didn't mean it like that. I'm sure you've been doing your best," he tried to soothe her, regretting what he had said.

At this tears began to run freely down her cheeks. "I'm a horrible mother," she sobbed. "I can't e-even put a roof over my d-daughters head, or buy her formula or-or..."

Zack brought Kristel into a hug, rubbing her back gently, trying to calm her down. "I can help you a little," he whispered into her ear, then went to go wash the bottle, as best he could. Kristel then helped him make up the powdered formula, so Amber could drink it.

"Thank you so much," Kristel whispered, relieved. Amber began to drink the formula, helping her fall back to sleep, Kristel yawning as well.

"Let me show you where you can sleep," Zack whispered. He helped her stand, then led her to his room, helping her get in.

"Thank you again," Kristel whispered, before he closed the door.

"Don't mention it," Zack replied, smiling, then went to go sleep on the couch.
♠ ♠ ♠
Still isn't that fast paced, but it will. Also, two chapters within 24 hours is a feat for me, so don't get used to it. Hope everyone enjoys the chapter.

Comment, Subscribe, Enjoy!