Status: My life is finally slowing down, I hope to have a chapter up within the next month or so. Thanks for the paitence!

Hope

Chapter Three

Kristel turned on her side, as she woke up, snuggling into the soft blankets, relishing the feeling. Amber was lying next to her, a peaceful expression on her face. This was the best either of them had slept in a long time. Kristel looked around to see the sun was starting to come up over the horizon. She swung her legs out of the bed, careful not to disturb Amber, then got up. Quietly opening the door, she was able to make it to the bathroom without bumping into too many things. After using it, she looked around, to see Zack sleeping on the couch. His black dog sleeping on his chest, and a larger dog on the floor.

Kristel bit her lip, as she looked around for her things. After she had gathered everything, she went back into the bedroom, and got Amber. She woke up briefly, before falling back asleep in her car seat. Kristel quietly opened the front door, before turning to see the big dog had woken up. "Thank you," Kristel whispered before closing the door.

Zack woke up to his Great Dane licking his face. "Majesty, quit it," he scolded, as he pushed her off of him. He got up, and began his morning routines. After he was done, he took a quick shower then quietly went into his room to get clothes to wear. He looked over to his bed to see it was made. Frowning, he went to the living room to see if Kristel had gotten up while he was in the bathroom.

"Kristel?" he asked, when he didn't see her. No answer. "Kristel?" he asked again, louder this time. Again no answer. His heart began to race. What happened? Where did she go? his thoughts raced. Majesty ran over to the dining room table, and put her paws on the tabletop making Zack shoo her off.

Before he turned around, he noticed a paper on the table with some writing scribbled on it.

Zack,

I wanted to thank you for your kindness last night. I can't thank you enough for helping me out. Please don't be offended by me leaving, I just feel bad that I have no way to pay you back and I don't want us to be a burden.

Thanks again,

Kristel


Zack's heart broke reading the note. Right then, his phone rang. "Yes?" Zack answered, hoping it was Kristel.

"Dude, where are you?" the voice asked. "I thought you wanted to be at the batting cages today."

"Shit," Zack swore, "Sorry, I'll be right there."

Zack folded Kristels' note and put it in his pocket, before grabbing his car keys and running out the door. He drove to the batting cages, to see his friends there. "Dude what took you so long?" Matt asked, his aviators pulled over his eyes and a baseball cap on.

"Sorry," Zack apologized again. "I got caught up with some stuff." The guys all elbowed each other, with small smiles, thinking that he had gotten lucky. "Where are the girls?" Zack asked, grabbing a bat.

"They were stopping at the mall, but should be over here 'soon'," Brian answered. He was seated on a picnic bench, his fedora covering his eyes, a cigarette hanging limply from his mouth.

"Is Gena with them?" Zack asked, hitting a ball into the cage, not really wanting to hear the answer.

"Val said she talked to her not too long ago," Matt started, as Zack hit another ball into the cage, more forcefully then he needed to. "She said, that Gena wanted to talk to you about something." Another ball hit harder than necessary.

"Zacky, you okay?" Johnny asked, nervously, as a third ball almost tore through the net at the back of the cage.

"Hm?" Zack asked, turning his attention to Johnny a little. He hadn't realized he was zoning out.

"You just...don't seem yourself," Johnny continued, watching the bat wearily.

Zack shrugged his shoulders, "I guess I don't really feel like baseball today."

All the guys looked at each other, before looking back at him. "What's the matter?" Matt asked, seriousness in his voice.

Zack dropped the bat, then threw himself on a nearby bench. "I met this girl last night," Zack ran his hand through his hair, not sure how to explain the situation.

"And?" Brian asked, when Zack didn't continue.

"I let her spend the night at my house, but then she wasn't there when I woke up," Zack continued.

"Typical one night stand," Matt shrugged, not seeing what this had to do with Zack's mood. "What of it?"

"No, no," Zack shook his head. "We didn't have sex...she has a kid...I think she lives on the streets." Zack paused briefly, when he noticed everyone's looks of shock. "What?"

"You let a homeless girl into your house last night?" Johnny asked, confused. "Did she steal anything?"

"No," Zack replied, slightly offended. "At least, I don't think so."

"So...what about her then?" Matt inquired.

Zack ran his hands through his hair, again, still not sure what to say. "I'm worried about her," he finally said.

"Why?" Jimmy asked, finally speaking up.

"She was about to get raped when I found her, and then she didn't have anything to feed her daughter," Zack trailed off. He was just confusing himself on why he wanted to find her so badly.

"Hey guys!" three girls walked up to them, Val who was Matt's wife, her twin sister and also Brian's fiancé, Michelle, and Zack's ex, Gena.

"Giving the machine a rest, Zacky?" Michelle teased, seeing that nobody was batting.

Zack gave her a weak smile, "We were just talking."

Michelle tsked Zack, "Guys talking can be a dangerous thing."

"You girls got done quickly," Matt smiled at Val, kissing her pregnant belly. She sat near him giving him a quick kiss.

"All the sales were crap," Val rolled her eyes, laughing.

Jimmy cleared his throat, bringing everyone's attention to him. Jimmy nodded towards Zack, "I'll help you find her tonight, if you want." The rest of the guys chimed in soon after him.

"Who are you looking for?" Gena asked, crossing her arms.

"A girl Zacky found last night," Jimmy explained, making Gena's eyes go wide with rage.

"How could you?" Gena shouted enraged at Zack. "I thought we were going to get back together!"

"What?" Zack asked, shocked. "When did we ever say that?"

"Last time we talked!" Gena spat back at him, before storming off.

"What's her deal?" Zack muttered, as he heard Matt tell him to let her walk off.

"She doesn't deserve you anyways," Matt continued.

"I'll meet you around seven," Jimmy said to Zack, as he got up to leave.

"Sounds good," Zack gave Jimmy a small smile, as the rest of the guys agreed on the time, then also left. Zack sat on the bench for a few minutes longer. Then picked up the bat and started batting once more, trying to clear his head.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this yesterday, I feel that it gets a little dull towards the end, but at the same time I think it's good. Let me know if you notice Zacks' name change spellings, I tried to fix them all, but things happen. Hopefully the beginning didn't make too many people mad.

Comment, Subscribe, Enjoy!