My Own Cure

I Can Feel the Pressure

"Jared."

I swatted at the person saying my name.

"Jared."

"No!" I shouted.

"Get your ass up. Zoey's got bruises all over her."

My heart jumped to my throat and I sat up.

"Where?"

Reigan lifted up Zoey's shirt and revealed finger shaped purple marks up and down her sides. I immediately felt sick and I looked away.

"Did you do this?"

"I guess so. Last night I got up and checked on her, and she was awake, so I fixed her a bottle. She started squirming, and I guess I grabbed her too hard."

It was half the truth. I silently prayed that Reigan would believe it.

"Be careful," was all she said.

I nodded and sat on the bed while Reigan left the room carrying Zoey. I was horrible. I left bruises on my daughter because I was high. How could I do that? I had already hurt her, after one time of being stoned. I knew there was more to come, because I felt that pressure in my joints, my throat, my nose, and a painful pressure in my head. I was already addicted, and I craved more. There was a bottle of Lortab in a shoebox under the bed that I had kept after I got my wisdom teeth pulled.

With a quick glance to the kitchen to make sure Reigan didn't see me, I pulled out the shoebox and grabbed the bottle. Two pills rattled around, but that would be enough for now.
I grabbed the glass of water by my bed, then took a pill. Now all I had to do was wait. Wait until I got high. Wait until I could get back to Chandler's house to get more. Wait until I became a monster again.