Status: Brewing

That Voodoo You Do

Page 6

Local PD reaches out to Beacon Hills civilians for a missing teenage girl. Lydia Martin went missing last night from Beacon Hills General and is reportedly in the nude. No sightings of the girl have been reported and the police are asking everyone to join the search for the missing tonight. Any sightings should be reported to the nearest officer at the earlier of convenience.

The news crew had been all over Lydia’s disappearance all morning and Aleece was a nervous wreck. She couldn’t keep still, her leg bounced and her fingers were wrung together or dug in her hair as she chewed on her lip. What if her spell had gone wrong? What if something horrible happened to her while under the care of Aleece?

“Aleece,” a voice said and Aleece jumped turning to her left to see, not Boyd, but Stiles giving her a concerned look. She pulled her hand, with some difficulty, out of her knotted hair and ducked her head as she tried to look calm. “You okay?” the teen asked worriedly and Aleece jerkily nodded, not quite the image of consoled as she had wanted to appear. Stiles gave her a doubtful look but looked over her head and then stepped closer to her. Aleece tensed, not at all used to people getting so close to her. “You’re worried about her, aren’t you? About Lydia?” She lifted her eyes to look at him before lowering them to her feet and offering a half-hearted shrug. “Do you know something? Or have you see her? Heard her maybe?”

“You mean with my witchy powers?” she asked dryly and Stiles faltered, probably not liking how it sounded but he sighed and rolled his head back before nodding.

“Look I know you’re into that kind of stuff, you- you wore a skull to school okay? Everyone knows you’re a- a- you know what you are now do you know where Lydia is or not?” he asked gently grabbing her arm to turn her around to look at him. Aleece didn’t raise her eyes to meet his, not at first, but being so close she couldn’t help but look up after a few minutes of staring at his chest. Her green eyes locked onto his dark hazel doe eyes and she stayed there, reading him like a book. Everyone knew Stiles was in love with Lydia, everyone could see it, but in that moment she felt it.

“I’ll find her,” she said softly pulling her arm away and shutting her locker. “She’s gunna be alright,” her accent was smooth as molasses and seemed to only soften Stiles’s edge.

“It’s going to be like in the negatives tonight,” he said as Aleece started down the hall, she paused and ducked her head listening, “The coldest night of the year and she’s- she’s all alone.” Aleece looked at Stiles and shook her head,

“She ain’t alone. I will find her, I promise.” Stiles watched her skeptically but Aleece gave a short nod of her head and continued down the hall and out of the school. No one stopped her, when she wanted to be she was practically invisible to the population. Being a freak had its perks. Instead of going to class, Aleece decided to make better use of her time and started the hour long walk to the Martin residence. Lydia lived in the nicer part of Beacon Hills and although Aleece normally didn’t mind a long walk, her stomach was knots. Not to mention there had been a particular scent following her on the air, a staleness that gathered at the back of her throat and tasted of dirt and blood. She knew it was a sign, but a sign of what she wasn’t sure.

Making her way through town, up winding roads and down steep hills, Aleece hugged her long trench coat tighter around her body, her fingers constantly toying with the talismans attached to her locket around her neck. A feather and bird bone were among the talismans, both used for flight and inspiration and that what just what she needed. Guidance, flight, some way to soar above this plain and find her missing classmate. She wasn’t sure exactly why she cared so much for the strawberry blonde, the girl had never been particularly nice to Aleece, but Mawmaw’s raspy voice echoed in her ears,

Never leave the needin’ needin’ Aleece, if you can help, you help.

Aleece gave a nod as if agreeing with her grandmother and when she lifted her head from her work and marked up converse, she was surprised to see the Martin household in front of her. Had it been an hour already? Perhaps her steps were lighter thanks to the spirits agreeing to work with her. Positive energy always called upon the kindness of spirits.

Aleece jogged up the steps and knocked on the door, tucking her locket in her jacket and hefted her school bag higher on her shoulder. She glanced down the street and into the surrounding wood before she heard the latch of the door click. Turning back around she was now facing the tired and clearly distraught Mrs Martin.

“Hi,” Aleece dead panned dully and Mrs Martin looked at her expectantly, Aleece gave a shake of her head and pushed a hand to entangle fingers in unruly dark hair. “Sorry, hi Mrs Martin, I’m a classmate of Lydia’s and, um, well I was hoping I could get some of her clothes? Something warm for her to put on when we find her tonight?” The woman looked Aleece over and Aleece resisted the eye roll at the judgment crossing over the woman’s features. Aleece didn’t look like someone Lydia would associate with. She wore a long trench coat, baggy sweaters and flare jeans with frayed bottoms, her sneakers were the same ones she had since middle school and it showed and her hair was likened to a mane rather than hair.

“You’re looking for her?” the woman asked hopefully and Aleece nodded,

“We all are, some have to wait until tonight but- I skipped school,” she admitted and the gentle smile she received made it all worth while. Mrs Martin nodded for Aleece to follow her inside and Aleece shut the door behind her as she stepped inside. Lydia’s mother curled a finger for Aleece to follow her upstairs.

“The police haven’t told us anything other than they’re holding a search party tonight, but I don’t want her tonight I need her to come home now,” her mother said stressed and her tone was hoarse and dry probably from hours of crying and thinking of the worst. “How could she have gotten out of there? And naked? Who was watching her? Someone should have been in there with her- I should have been in there with her.”

“We’ll find her Mrs Martin, Lydia’s strong, I’m sure she’s fine just- turned around,” Aleece offered as Lydia’s mother opened a white door to a bedroom and stepped aside. She curled a hand over her mouth and Aleece could see the tears brimming her eyes as she shook her head. Aleece understood and nodded, stepping into the purple room to look around.

The walls were a deep violet with white butterflies over a showy headboard. The room was clean and organized with a large vanity and assorted makeup. Aleece walked to the vanity and stole some strands of Lydia’s hair for the ritual. She then went to the closet and pulled open the doors. Spotting a shirt she had seen Lydia wear on countless occasions, Aleece tore a button off and stuffed the button and hair in a spare pouch. Aleece always had spare velvet pouches in her burlap sack. Just in case she found something for her alter or something she could use for a spell or ritual. She ran her fingers along the soft fabrics and inwardly envied Lydia her high fashion. Everything was so soft and neat and colorful. Nothing Aleece would be caught wearing but everything that made Lydia the hottest girl in school.

Pulling a cream colored tight knit sweater from a hanger, Aleece folded it up and stuffed it in her bag, along with a skirt and thick cable stockings. She didn’t see anything along the lines of jeans or pants, Lydia was a lady through and through and probably wouldn’t be caught dead in jeans. Closing the closet, Aleece went to the dressers and peeked through them until she found under clothes and found a matching pair for Lydia, adding them to the clothes in her puffed pouch. When Aleece left the bedroom and shut the door behind her, she was surprised to see Mrs Martin hadn’t left. She was still standing beside the door with a finger over her lips and tears trailing down her cheeks.

“Thank you, I’m goin to give these to Sheriff Stilinski and then go look for Lydia,” Aleece promised and the red haired woman choked back a cry and smiled at her. Aleece wanted to reassure her but she didn’t know how how. A hug? A friendly grip of the shoulder? Aleece looked away and started down the stairs when she heard Lydia’s mother call out to her,

“Find her, please bring my baby home,” she said and Aleece looked up and nodded. She looked at her feet before hurrying down the remaining steps and letting herself out of the home. She had a lot of work to do when the sun went down, but first things first, she had to get the clothes to Sheriff Stilinski.