Status: Hope you enjoy! Remember to favorite and comment ideas!

Life as We Knew It

Surrounded

It was a scorching, early summer day as people bustled through the streets of a small suburban town somewhere in Georgia. Trees swayed to the slight breeze as children's shrieks of joy filled the warm air. It was a Saturday, which relieved Amber. Of course, Amber loved her small, veterinary college almost as much as she loved animals. She was just happy to get a break, to feel the warm sweet air slightly run down her tan neck.

Gripping her Nissan's steering wheel, Amber rode over the smooth bridge that overlooked a glistening ocean. Sailboats drifted in the current as the sun shined above the flawless beach. Amber's plan for today was to grab a cake for her sister, Rebecca's, 16th surprise birthday party, along with some balloons and streamers. Just as Amber was getting out of her car, a couple screams rung out. Amber spun her head around, her brown hair flying wildly. A large crowd gathered around something Amber couldn't quite see yet- but by the screams, she knew it couldn't be good. Slamming her car door, Amber rushed over and covered her mouth in horror over what she saw. A woman was on the ground, blood spewing out of her stomach as she desperately hung on to her life.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

"Oh, my god!" one man yelled.
"Anyone here a doctor?!" a woman asked in panic.
A couple people dialed 911 and a few who were not sick of the gory sight ahead gathered around the woman. Amber was one of them.

"You're going to be okay, it's gonna be alright." Amber said in reassurance, though she wasn't sure she believed that herself. As sirens rang in the distance, a man quickly applied pressure to the woman's wound. The woman screamed in pain and squirmed around helplessly, a couple people trying to hold her still.

"He.....bit me...." the woman said under her breath.
"He what? Who did?" Amber said, not believing her own ears. But, the woman didn't respond. Instead, her eyes rolled back and turned white. Suddenly, Amber realized why the woman was unresponsive....she was dead.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

"Oh, my god," Amber stepped back, almost tripping over the woman's lingering arm. She repeated the same words as she pushed through the crowd. She ran as fast as she could, not knowing where to, but just away from the horrifying scene.

Suddenly, more screams rung out among the town. Amber felt a cold hand on her shoulder and turned around to see a pale, white, bloody man grasp her own shoulder, and lunge for it with a loud moan. She screamed as she flung back and kicked him in the gut, and she sprinted. Helplessly, she watched as another man bit a young boy's arm and he hollered in pain as the man teared through his neck. She cried out, about to go help the boy, but by the look of his wound, he was a goner.

As she turned around, she froze. The woman, the dead woman she had tried to help earlier, was staggering around, her guts hanging loose, but she was very much alive. But she wasn't alive.....she was something else. She was lunging and biting just like the rest of them. No way they were human. Something was wrong. Very wrong.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Just as she was just about to get in her car, something grabbed at her leg. She looked in horror as she saw one of the things snarling and growling at her. Without hesitation, she smashed its head with the heel of her shoe. She shook as she grabbed her car keys, about to step on the pedal of her car. But a nearby scream stopped her.

"Get off!" a woman with a southern accent and flaming red hair yelled as she repeatedly kicked one of the things in the face. Amber knew she couldn't just leave her, she would never be able to forgive herself. She grabbed a sturdy screwdriver from her car's cabinet and stabbed the thing in the neck.

Shockingly, it didn't even flinch, though it lunged for her instead. Amber screamed as it fell on top of her, obviously hungry for its next meal. She mustered all her strength and threw the walker off of her, jumped on top of it, and stabbed it in the head. Its head immediately rolled back, signaling it was dead for good, and Amber gasped for air, her whole body shaking tremendously, and she suddenly remembered the red headed stranger.

The stranger looked at her gratefully. "Thanks, I'm Bailey," the stranger said, her cowboy hat slightly tipping off her head. "Bailey!" a voice called out behind her. Bailey spun around to see her boyfriend, Liam, holding a bloody knife. "We gotta go!" he glanced at Amber, motioning for her to follow, too. They followed Luke to his once pristine red jeep, which was now coated in blood, and hopped in, the horrifying screams getting quieter and quieter as they rode off.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is my first Fanfiction, so I apologize if there are some errors of if it's not that interesting! I would appreciate comments, suggestions, and please favorite if you enjoy, too! :)