Status: Hope you enjoy! Remember to favorite and comment ideas!

Life as We Knew It

Alone

Amber's head rested against the window as the car speeded into the night. She closed her eyes as she remembered the painful memories of the innocent people who died today. She thought about what could've possibly caused the people to turn into something like that. It made sense after a while. The woman was bit. Everyone who acted like that had some sort of bite mark. They weren't themselves anymore, they weren't even a person. They were something who's only instinct was to eat people. She grimaced as her mind flooded with the hungry groans of the things as they ripped into human flesh.

A voice snapped her into reality. Bailey, as she recalled, looked at her from the front seat. "How you holding up?" Bailey asked awkwardly as she handed Amber a Nike water bottle. Amber just stared at Bailey's face. "That was a stupid question, I know. Just tryin' to make conversation." she implied. "Ya know, I never got your name back there..." she went on. "Amber. It's Amber," she said, not really in the mood to talk. This woman was trying to hard, and Amber knew she couldn't get too close, she needed to find her family and- Amber suddenly spit up her water. Rebecca. Her parents.

"Stop the car! Stop!" she yelled. The car bolted to a stop, flinging the passengers around. "What the hell was that?" Liam said angrily, spinning his head to look at Amber. "I thought you saw a bunch of those damn things or something!" he said, attempting to calm himself by taking a deep breath. "My sister!" Amber said repeatedly, starting to open the car door. "Woah! Woah! Stop-Amber!" Bailey said, gripping Amber's hand. "I need to get her! Let me out!" Amber yelled, but the door wouldn't budge. "Open it!" she screamed. "We need to stick together! If you go out there, there's a damn good chance that you'll be one of......them." she said, her tone changing as she said the last word. "I needa go! Please! Rebecca....she's only 17.....and my parents!" Amber cried out, on the verge of tears. She couldn't stand to let Rebecca become one of them, or her parents. Bailey thought for a second, her hazel eyes traveling out the window. "Where is she?" Bailey said, playing with the silver charm bracelet on her wrist. "She's north of here, up on Shellton lane, I'll be on my way once I find her. Just let me out." Amber pleaded. "We ain't letting you turn into one of them. We have to stick together. It's the only way." Liam whispered. Bailey nodded. They started the car off again, the stars twinkling overhead, a peaceful sight compared to what the survivors experienced earlier.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Rebecca hid in the closet, sobbing, in her light pink bedroom as the roamers, as she called them, pounded on the front door, sending shivers down her spine. Her father had went on a business trip to Washington about a week ago, and was supposed to come back early this morning for her birthday, while her mother had went to the mall, obviously buying supplies for her surprise birthday party. They never came back. Rebecca's mind wandered to her sister, her caring, loving, strong, and determined sister, who could possibly be one of the roamers now. Becca didn't know what she would do if they were all dead. What if her parents were dead? What if Amber was dead?- no, Rebecca thought. I can't think that way. She had to have faith in them, especially her sister. She couldn't lose hope now, when she needed it the most.

The sun blinding her vision, Amber stepped out of the car, shielding her eyes from the sun with her hand. They made it. Liam and Bailey followed short after her, knives poised for attack. Amber gripped her own knife harder and she shook with fear when she spotted three of the dead things scraping their fingers against the green front door. Their green front door. The three survivors quietly and swiftly approached the creatures. They moaned in hunger as they dragged towards them, obviously ready for brunch. In a blink of an eye, Amber and Bailey stabbed theirs in the head, but Liam wasn't lucky. Out of nowhere, another one of the dead ones appeared, catching Liam off-guard. He killed the first one, though the second one lunged out of the knife's reach, though he did react fast enough to put his hand in front of it. The thing bit his thumb and he screamed out in agony. "No!" Bailey sobbed, viciously killing the one that bit him, then hugging him fiercely. "We gotta do something!" she cried as Liam groaned in pain. "Quick-inside!" Amber said as she spotted a couple more things, attracted by the screams of Liam and the cries of Bailey. Amber had an idea. It probably wouldn't work. It was risky, and overall, stupid. Before Bailey could even react, she lifted her knife and cut off his thumb.

Suddenly, Rebecca was awoken by screams and cries. She tugged at her golden-blonde hair in panic, a habit she had become addicted to since she was little. Her light blue eyes darted to a lamp on her end table and she picked it up. If this encounter took a turn for the worst, she would need to protect herself. She would need to be brave.

Liam cried out, gripping his hand. "Why did you-?" Bailey sobbed angrily, eyeing where Liam's finger was. "No time! I'll explain later! Stop the bleeding! I will be right back!" Amber said as she ran upstairs. She heard a familiar scream as she bumped into a slender figure. "Amber!" Rebecca cried, tears streaming down her face as she dropped the lamp in her hand and hugged her sister tightly. She sobbed in her arms. Amber smiled from ear to ear, tears settling in her eyes. When she finally pulled away, Rebecca had a look of great sadness on her face. "Mom? Dad?" Amber whispered, afraid to hear the answer. Rebecca looked at the floor and shook her head, tears stinging her eyes. They were suddenly interrupted by Bailey with a look of concern in her eyes. She glanced at Rebecca, then quickly turned her attention back to Amber. "We have visitors."