Status: Hope you enjoy! Remember to favorite and comment ideas!

Life as We Knew It

Devoured

"No," Amber whispered, "No, no, no." She shook the door knob desperately, the sounds of the roamers getting louder outside the store she, Liam, Bailey, and Dan were now trapped in. "Amber....?" Bailey asked, her faced filled with fear, already knowing the answer. "We're locked in," Amber whispered, as they all glanced at the horde of roamers just outside the store.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Cracks. More and more cracks formed as roamers pounded their decaying fists on the glass sliding doors. The four desperately searched for a way out, or in a matter of minutes, they would become roamer chow. Liam was trying to pick the lock, but it wouldn't work. They knew it wouldn't. Amber unscathed her large knife, looking around the store for any way out. So far, she had spotted a banner that read, "40% off discount sale on all jewelry!", a mannequin wearing a hideous orange and red poncho, and a rack of dresses. Useless. Then she saw it. On the ceiling. A vent. "Guys!" she yelled, pointing to the small vent on the ceiling. "That'll work," Dan said, glancing at the vent, then back at the horde or roamers. "It's pretty high up. We'll need a piece of furniture or...over there!" Bailey cried, already scrambling to a pristine glass end table. "We can stand on this," she said as she and Liam hurriedly picked it up and brought it directly under the vent. Just as they started climbing onto the table and towards the vent, the roamers broke through, their moans echoing throughout the store. "Go! Go! Hurry!" Dan screamed, his eyes darting to the roamers then back to the new group members. "We can't all make it! We don't have enough time!" he yelled in panic as he and the others killed a couple nearing walkers. "Yes, we can! We will!" Bailey said in reassurance. Suddenly, he looked up, guilt in his eyes. "I'm sorry," he whispered as he tackled Liam to the floor, shoving him to the the roamers.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

"No!" Bailey and Amber both screamed as they jumped off the table. Dan had a crazed look in his eyes as he pulled hard on Liam's hair, Liam punching him in the nose. Blood gushed down his nose, running down his face. Amber held off the roamers, Bailey trying to break up the fight. "We can escape together!" Bailey cried out in desperation. But the roamers were coming in too close. And Dan wouldn't stop. Tumbling over each other, knocking down racks of clothing, Dan and Liam neared roamers. "Stop! Please! Liam!" Bailey cried. "Do something! Now, Bailey!" Amber cried out in frustration. Suddenly, a hand reached out and grabbed Amber firmly by the ankle, pulling her to the floor. Amber yelped, rapidly kicking Dan, who grabbed her. The moans were louder now, and more and more roamers were piling in. They would all die. Amber wouldn't let it to be the friends, the ones she trusted-the ones she had been with the beginning. With a sudden burst of energy, she kicked Dan straight in the chest, causing him to fly backwards-straight into the horde.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Agony. He screamed in great agony. It was the worst kind of pain he had ever experienced in his life. The roamers teared into Dan's flesh, each taking a bite out of him, their dry flesh skimming over his body. The others watched in horror as Dan was teared a part, limb by limb, the roamers too distracted to notice the other living beings. Amber was in shock. She had killed Dan. She had just killed a living person. Liam was the first to snap out of the trance. "We need to go, now!" he said, clutching Bailey and putting his hand on Amber's shoulder. In a blink of an eye, they made their way through the vent, Dan's screams still audible, eerily echoing through the building. Until they died down to quiet whimpers. And then nothing at all.

0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

They climbed out of the vent, the dark hallways filled with silence, except the shuffling of feet below them. The three made their way to the top of the building, Elizabeth and Ethan eagerly awaiting them at the top. "W-Where's Dan?" Ethan stuttered, looking behind the three. They just looked at the ground. "I-I'm sorry...," Bailey said, her voice filled with sadness. Elizabeth put her hand on Ethan's shoulder as he started to break down. She walked away from him to the others, giving him time to mourn. "Dan was his brother," Elizabeth whispered to them, and Amber was filled with immense guilt. Dan was dead. Ethan's brother. His only family. And it was because of her. She didn't know if she could keep the truth inside of her. It was weighing down on her chest, and she felt like she might explode. But she didn't. She swallowed it back down and remained silent as Ethan cried. They stayed there for hours, the sky turning a stunning pink, orange, and yellow. Amber stared at it. Until Elizabeth finally nodded, signaling it was time to go.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please comment (ideas, compliments, constructive criticism, ect). Remember to like and recommend if you enjoy! Thanks guys! :)