The Vintage Scenester

Emily-Jay

I woke up in the morning the way I always do: sun blinding me, and yawned, slipping out of my bed. Life for me was hard, I lived in a carehome, nobody willing to come and rescue me. I was lucky though, I also had Jesse and Brodie, my two best friends. We were sent here when it first opened, we were the only remaining people here, everyone else, whether careworker or child, had moved on and up. We wished for the day someone would rescue us three, take us home with him or her, or even them. Just wishing for a way out.

Mrs Angelino stormed into my bedroom, and started shouting at me to get up. Ever since Kasey left for another carehome job, she's been made headworker and she's hell to get on the wrong side of. She always picks on us three though, just 'cause we're not like the other people in this home: sheep.

She yanked the duvet back, and I instantly jumped up, shouting back at her. "Why do you always pick on me? What did I ever do to you?" I felt the anger boiling up inside of me, and I silently screamed. She slapped my cheek, the force making my head snap to the side, and I brought my hand to the sting, rubbing it. The door opened and Jesse and Brodie burst in, Mrs Angelino glaring at me. My next action shocked even myself. I retalliated, my palm crashing against her face, then she pushed me backwards and I hit my head off the bed, and she ran out, slamming the door after her. Jesse dropped to his knees beside me, sliding his arms around me, as I brought my knees to my chest, and tears started falling. Brodie came to the other side of me and rubbed my back.

"Sssh, it's okay. We're here now. Everything is alright," Jesse whispered sweet nothings into my ear, and kissed my hair. "Ssh. I'm here now, and so is Brodie."

"Why does she have to pick on me?" I mumbled, wiping my face. I didn't expect an answer to that question, and I didn't get one.

"I'm gonna go get ready, I'll see you two outside." Brodie got up and left, leaving me and Jesse alone.

"She does it again, and we'll go to Cam, tell her what Angelino is doing. Cam'll sort it," he squeezed my knee, giving a goofy smile.

"Yeah. Thanks, I don't know how I'd cope without you and Brodie. C'mon though, we really ought to get ready for school."

"School.... Okay. A whole six hours filled with the usual misoginy, and idiots. Exciting stuff," he said sarcastically, and grinned. "Okay. Last one ready is the slow poke. And won't get any smarties for a week." I pulled myself up, and ran around getting my black skinnies, the faded blue converses, and a tight fluresant green teeshirt, with a loose black cardigan, and pulled my hair back. I forced him out, and he laughed on the other side of the door as I changed super-quickly. Then I opened the door and ran past him, noticing he must have been in his room and changed too, and ran down to the breakfast hall.