Animals

i don't care

"You would think that I wouldn't be embarrassed about my father driving me to school by now." The fifteen year old freshman, Emma Porter, said from the backseat of her father’s SUV.

"Well maybe if you didn't care about what other people think then you wouldn't be having that problem. Stop worrying about climbing the social latter, you're only a freshman. You got three years to be the queen bee. Besides, everyone already knows that our dad is the principle." The sixteen year old junior, Kennah, said from the passenger seat.

Emma scoffed, "you're just saying that because you're basically the queen bee now."

"I actually don't care what everyone thinks of me. The high school population is only 100 students."

Kennah's father pulled into his parking lot at Prairie City School and unlocked the car so his daughters could get out. "I always enjoy the stimulating conversations between you two so early in the morning." Henry Porter said as he waited for his daughters to get out of the car.

"It's not my fault you had another child, I just wanted a puppy but you brought her home instead." Kennah rolled her eyes and pointed at her younger sister.

"Wow, that was so original, you should really consider writing an insult book." Emma stated as she crossed her arms over her chest and turned to make her way into the school.

Kennah didn't bother saying anything to her father and she turned and followed her sister into the building. The school was fairly small but there were no more than 700 students but it had grades from kindergarten through 12th grade. The population of Prairie City, Oregon was only 900 and dropping because of all of the animal attacks and families moving to get away from it. There really wasn't much you could expect with a town that is basically surrounded by nothing but forest. The Porter family wasn't bothered by all of the attacks, they have lived in the small town ever since Kennah was born.

As Kennah made her way through the doors, she was instantly greeted by her best friend, Noah. "Did you hear that there was another attack last night?"

"Wow, not even a 'hello'?" Kennah asked, turning down the first hallway to go to her locker.

"Dude, I have seen you naked. It doesn't matter how I greet you." Noah said as he leaned against the lockers next to his brunette best friend.

"Oh my god, we were five!"

"Well everything kind of still looks the same right?"

Kennah looked at Noah in disbelief, "you are kidding me, right?" She asked in a flat tone.

Noah rolled his eyes, "of course I'm kidding. I took sex ed, biology, anatomy-"

"I get it, you're not as stupid as you seem!" Kennah looked at Noah as she cut him off and then went back to shoving books in her locker.

"I am going to ignore that comment and go back to what I was saying before. There was a wolf attack last night, not even a mile out of town. They're getting closer."

Kennah closed her locker and rolled her eyes, Noah has always had a strange fascination with all of the attacks. "You really need to stop listening to your dad’s calls." She said before walking around him to get to class.

"I believe it is my duty as a resident of this town to know what is going on!" Noah said as he trailed behind Kennah.

Kennah stopped in her tracks, causing the taller brunette to crash into her. "No, you're just nosy." She stated before walking again.

"Well, that too. You should know more about this than me! Your grandpa is the sheriff."

"Yeah, well, I don't live with him so I can't exactly listen to his calls. Plus, I don't ask and he rarely tells, you know that." Kennah said, walking into the classroom on her left. "Now shut up, Chemistry is already hell. I don't need you talking my ear off to make it worse." She said as she made her way to her seat in the back middle of the science room.

Noah scoffed and took his seat in front of her. "Your lab partner is Ethan McCarthy. I doubt it could get any worse than that."

Kennah ignored her best friend and got her Chemistry textbook and notebook out of her bag as her blonde lab partner made his way into the room.

Ethan McCarthy wasn't as bad as everyone made him out to be in Kennah's eyes. But then again the only time she ever conversed with him was when she absolutely had too. They have been in the same classes their whole lives but were never friends, they never hung out with the same people. All she knew about him was what everyone knew; he has a younger sister, his mother is an alcoholic and his father and older brother died five years ago. Although Kennah didn't know much about her lab partner, he knew a lot about her. Everyone knew about Kennah Porter, her father is the principle, her mother is the only town’s lawyer and her grandfather is the sheriff, and her younger sister is a freshman. Kennah was basically famous in Prairie City, news travels fast in a town of 900 residents and even faster in a school of 700 students.

"What's up Ethan? Kick any puppies lately?" Noah asked as he turned in his seat to face the beanie clad teenager. Noah and Ethan have never liked each other and Kennah never understood why, knowing Noah there is a big chance it was something stupid that happened in kindergarten. Noah could hold a grudge for a thousand years if he had the chance.

"What's up Noah? Did you finally grow the balls to talk to Delilah?" Ethan shot back with a bored tone.

Kennah snorted and put her hand over her mouth, as if she could cover up the sound she just made. Noah turned in his seat even more to glare at the girl. "I talk to her all the time, she just chooses not to acknowledge my presence."

Before Ethan or Kennah could say anything, the Chemistry teacher, Mr. Michaels, walked into the classroom with his briefcase in hand. "Good morning, class. Today, we are starting a new project that will take a month and it is worth 50% of your grade, but do not worry. Your lab partner will be your partner for the project." Mr. Michaels began explaining the assignment as he passed out the instructions and grading sheet. "I have a few class days set aside for this project but a majority will have to be done on your own time. And before you even think about putting it off until the last day, I suggest you not. I know for a fact that it cannot be done."

"Have I ever mentioned how much I hate this class?” Kennah asked as she rested her head on her arm on the desk.

“Every moment that you are in this class, Ms. Porter.” Mr. Michaels said, walking up to her table and setting the white sheets of paper in front of her.
♠ ♠ ♠
okay so anyone who knows me knows that i'm really bad with continuing stories especially since its been two years since i wrote on here but i've had this idea for awhile and i'm super excited!
and fyi, i don't live in prairie city i just googled a place that is basically surrounded by woods. anyways, i know this was boring but i swear it will pick up in the next few chapters, i'm just trynna introduce the characters right now!
it would be much appreciated if you comment/subscribe/recommend!